What makes a great coach?

ftballmam

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) First and foremost, a father figure, someone who can emotionally put his arm around a kid and tell him he's OK. I'd much rather my son play for a 5-5 coach who was a "good man" before I'd want him to play for a 10-0 coach that was a horse's backside!

2) Someone that can communicate excitement and disappointment without a whole lot of ranting, raving and cussing. Someone who is business-like and quietly and confidently shows the team how to win.

3) Someone who knows how to build parent and community involvement in a program through welcoming new ideas and volunteerism. This type of following and excitement carries over into the player's attitude and is an essential part to a winning program.

4) Someone who is consistent. Players should know exactly what to expect from their coach and should never see him waffle on a discipline situation no matter how much it may pain him.

5) Someone who does it for the love of the game and wants to work at it all year long!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

1) First and foremost, a father figure, someone who can emotionally put his arm around a kid and tell him he's OK. I'd much rather my son play for a 5-5 coach who was a "good man" before I'd want him to play for a 10-0 coach that was a horse's backside!

2) Someone that can communicate excitement and disappointment without a whole lot of ranting, raving and cussing. Someone who is business-like and quietly and confidently shows the team how to win.

3) Someone who knows how to build parent and community involvement in a program through welcoming new ideas and volunteerism. This type of following and excitement carries over into the player's attitude and is an essential part to a winning program.

4) Someone who is consistent. Players should know exactly what to expect from their coach and should never see him waffle on a discipline situation no matter how much it may pain him.

5) Someone who does it for the love of the game and wants to work at it all year long!

Well, Daddy, I was going to describe the qualities of P.A. Pratt of Crockett County as what makes a good coach, but you have pretty much done the work for me already with this post!

I will add a #6- A good coach has the ability to withstand criticism from those that don't understand the game or understand his methods, when he knows he has made his best effort to better the young men he leads as both people and players.

A great Coach really only needs one quality. The kids must really believe that the coach cares about them. He puts them above himself, this will build the trust . The coach can be hard on them, demanding what ever as long as the kids feel the coach cares they will want to go to war withem.

Edited by Drem2Achev

discepline with the players in evry thing they do GQ make us dress nice look deascent stay queit and respectful during pregame meal when we go to breakfast in the morning we have to be dressed in the traval shirts and look nice even though we are going to diffrent reastarunats. Just little stuff that translates into bigger things on the field.

6) Someone willing to go to Middle school and Little League / Pop Warner games and "recruit" within your ranks. You need to have the young kids chomping at the bits to play for you, so they don't drop off into another sport, or no sport at all. They need to know that the prospect is as exciting for you as it is for them!

In an earlier post we tried to determine WHO was the best coach, now let's determine WHY.

What do you think key qualities are in a great coach?

Strong points, ideas, ways.

Great coaches coach because they love the kids and the sport and not the supplement. Winning games is important but secondary to this. They also have integrity and are firm but fair in their dealings with players (from the best to the worst) and parents. It is not about Xs and Os, it's about building a tradition in a program that everyone can be proud of regardless of the record. Great coaches get involved with the younger levels and provide support. Great coaches command and give respect.

All these things are very good qualities for a coach to have, but i think the number one thing a coach must have is respect. Respect for players, parents, other coaches, administration, fans, etc. Expecially respect for your players and assistant coaches. The more respect you have, the more you will try to do your part to help them win, which results in a better work ethic, and a willingness to study the game more. Respect for you players will help you to try to think of what you can say as a coach that will help them to become better football players and better people. The more respect you have for your team, the more they will respect you back. A coach who is respected by his team can do so much more than a coach who's team dosn't respect him. Unselfish respect for those around you is a very important quality for coaches to have.

A good coach should be able to lead his players by example. If you are living the way you are supposed to live the kids will listen to you. If they know that you are out drinking and partying all of the time, they will tune you out when you tell them not to. It's equally important to teach a boy to be a man, as it is to teach him X's and O's.

a great coach is some one who lets you know he cares and will give you the shirt off of his back

some one who is emotional because it shows you that he cares

some one who will not get you out of trouble in school because you are a superstar, but will make you deal with the punishment because you broke the rules

a coach that controls his team and doesnt treat superstars different from the worst jv player on the team