Top 2 Not Top 4

vball007

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year again, four teams will not get to play at MTSU--specifically, the quarterfinal losers in Division II. Last year, it was AAA that suffered that fate. I think a large part of the problem is the huge number of pool-play matches that do nothing but establish seeding.

I see what you mean CU, last year Siegel didn't get to play at MTSU. We played at Blackman and at Siegel. The finals should be on Saturday, that would be the solution.

I am still ok with that because Siegel did not make the final four. Which in my opinion is the right amount of teams that should make the state. I do like how TSSAA has pool play and then seeds for the tournament. It ensures that the best teams play the weaker teams.

I totally understand the frustration the Independence or Centennial teams are feeling. Lafayette went home early last year. Lafayette's district has 4 top 25 teams, but only two can advance and this year every match was a close three game match(best 2 of 3 here). Lafayette was fortunate enough to win districts this year and advance to regions, but two great teams went home while lesser teams advanced from weaker districts.

In KY their are 60 districts made up of 3 or 4 teams per district. Most districts are jokes as there is never any doubt which two will advance other than Lafayette's district. Top 2 from each district move on to the regional tournament. Their are 16 regions and each region will consist of 8 teams with only the winner moving on to state. The state champion is really determined in region 7 as that is the region that contains Sacred Heart and Assumption. Imagine how SH must feel every year virtually NEVER getting to state. They made it three years ago and won state, but that's the only time in at least 15 years they have got there. There will be 16 teams at state from 16 regions. Keep in mind this entire process is single elimination. Lose once and go home unless it's in the district finals. State is single elimination also. Also, only one state champ here and Assumption always wins, so everybody else is just trying for the honor of getting there.

The state venue is Northern Ky University this year. This is the first time it's been there so I dont know how nice it is. The format at state is always the same though. 16 teams aligned in a blind draw with first round matches on Friday. Final eight bracket on saturday. Three matches to win the championship to crown Assumption state champion. Also, at least 6-7 of these region champions will be teams from Eastern and Western Ky that are not very strong teams and most wouldn't even rank in the states top 100. They are there while teams like Sacred Heart and Presentation(in Mercy's region) rarely ever get there.

Edited by KYdigsTN

Staying on a side court as opposed to moving to the full court would not be the decision of the referee. As with any tournament, it's the tournament director's call. Last year's tournament was a total disgrace. As far as I know, it was indeed TSSAA's call (via their representatives) to keep the finals on the side court. As I remember, they were anything but "behind" and the finals series started rather early. It wouldn't have taken more than 15 minutes for MTSU's arena Murphy Center crew to do their thing. They're always great with running things and very quick in taking care of business. If they had been asked to move to the full court, they would have.

Staying on a side court as opposed to moving to the full court would not be the decision of the referee. As with any tournament, it's the tournament director's call. Last year's tournament was a total disgrace. As far as I know, it was indeed TSSAA's call (via their representatives) to keep the finals on the side court. As I remember, they were anything but "behind" and the finals series started rather early. It wouldn't have taken more than 15 minutes for MTSU's arena Murphy Center crew to do their thing. They're always great with running things and very quick in taking care of business. If they had been asked to move to the full court, they would have.

The #2 court was running behind. The first championship teams started warming up while the match on the #2 court was still going on. The #2 court was finished just as the championship was winding down their warm up. I remember thinking - ok now they can switch courts and play on the big one. They just didn't switch it and I was so surprised. They didn't switch it for any of the matches, did they? It's not like they couldn't have switched between the first final and the second. What a let down.

So who was the tournament director? Maybe an email to remind him/her what is important in state championships is in order so things will be different this year.

okay so in volleyball only the top 2 teams advance. but in basketball the top 4. how can one sport get 4 and another get 2. if i am not mistaking they are the only sport that get the top 4. my daughter plays on centennials team and i will say tehy have the hardest district in tennessee. but only the top 2 get out every year when there are 4 tearms that trully would make it to state.

While we would all wish for more to have a chance to participate, I can assure that volleyball is not singled out in this case. My son played soccer in the state finals and I know that both the boys and girls soccer are done with 2 teams advancing from the district and 2 advancing from the region to substate with an adjoining region. The 2 winners from the double region substate advance to the state tournament which involves 8 teams.

While we would all wish for more to have a chance to participate, I can assure that volleyball is not singled out in this case. My son played soccer in the state finals and I know that both the boys and girls soccer are done with 2 teams advancing from the district and 2 advancing from the region to substate with an adjoining region. The 2 winners from the double region substate advance to the state tournament which involves 8 teams.

if i am not misunderstandign but soccer all they have to do is win 2 games to advance so as long as u win 2 games u r fine to move on

if i am not misunderstandign but soccer all they have to do is win 2 games to advance so as long as u win 2 games u r fine to move on

I am not real sure what you are saying, but the district and region semis are usually on Tuesday and if you lose then you are out. The finals would normally be on Thursday and that just determines seeding for the next level. The substate game is also a knockout game. So there are many chances to get knocked out of the tournament and of course all of the games at the state tournament are lose and go home.

Baseball only has two teams go on from the district. Addtional games are on the following Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Losers in Monday / Friday games get to be spectators for the state. The TSSAA sends certificates to the individual schools for players who participate in the state tournament. I have not been to a state volleyball

tournament, but will try to attend this year. Which schools are used for pool play?

here is my take on this:

But I don't agree that you can lose 4 times in the basketball state tournament and still be State Champs...that is a joke.

You can lose only 3 times in basketball (district semis, district finals, region finals)

The only difference in volleyball is the district semis, but what about pool play. How many times could you end up losing and still win the volleyball state title. A few more than basketball.

I think that only 2 should make it out of district (in every sport); if you can't finish in the top two in your district then you don't deserve to go to the state. Taking more teams just waters down the tournament and the importance of making it.