This Is Why I Hate The Nba

In a story on ESPN.com, David Stern told The Denver Post that they will be "pleasantly surprised" about the upcoming dress code announcement.

Here is what gets me -

"Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.

A stipend to pay for clothes? Are they not paid enough? Let's have a reality check here guys. :thumb:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The_Siegel_Senior_ptII

In a story on ESPN.com, David Stern told The Denver Post that they will be "pleasantly surprised" about the upcoming dress code announcement.

Here is what gets me -

"Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.

A stipend to pay for clothes? Are they not paid enough? Let's have a reality check here guys. ;)

A dress code... B) ...dumb idea...i agree with camby...they should be able to dress as they please, if they cant, then the NBA should pay for their clothes...

A dress code... B) ...dumb idea...i agree with camby...they should be able to dress as they please, if they cant, then the NBA should pay for their clothes...

I agree that the dress code is a dumb idea. However, Camby's remarks are an indication that these guys need a reality check. Much like Latrell Spreewell's statement last year that his contract was barely enough to feed his family.

The immates are running the asylum.

What's the problem with it?

I have a dress code at work. I would give anything if I could walk in in a pair of three year old khkais, tee shirt, a baseball cap, and tennis shoes/sandals but I can't.

Key work here is that these guys are professionals. They are making millions of dollars and represent a billion dollar industry. The least they can do it look semi-professional when giving a post game interview.

"A good person is a good person no matter what clothes they are wearing"-Allen Iverson

This statement is so true, the NBA is basically saying if you dress like most current players do then that is socially unacceptable and promotes a negative enviroment. Yes they are professionals, but what about their job requires them to wear a suit? Nothing. As long as they behave on the court, let them wear what they want. They get paid for what they do on the court, not what they do or wear off the court.

Guest The_Siegel_Senior_ptII

Allen Iverson said hes not doing it haha :( ...im loving it haha

What's the problem with it?

I have a dress code at work. I would give anything if I could walk in in a pair of three year old khkais, tee shirt, a baseball cap, and tennis shoes/sandals but I can't.

Key work here is that these guys are professionals. They are making millions of dollars and represent a billion dollar industry. The least they can do it look semi-professional when giving a post game interview.

:(

"A good person is a good person no matter what clothes they are wearing"-Allen Iverson

This statement is so true, the NBA is basically saying if you dress like most current players do then that is socially unacceptable and promotes a negative enviroment. Yes they are professionals, but what about their job requires them to wear a suit? Nothing. As long as they behave on the court, let them wear what they want. They get paid for what they do on the court, not what they do or wear off the court.

The thing is this is the NBA, not the AND1 Tour. It's nearly not as bad as guys like Iverson and Camby are trying to make it sound.

The general policy is Business Casual. This means when engaged in team or league buisness players are to wear.......

* A long sleeved dress shirt( collared or turtleneck) and/or a sweater

* Dress pants, khaki pants, or dress jeans

* Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes or dress boots, or other presentable shoes ( no sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots)

Now, there are exeptions for when players are leaving the arena ( they may go Busines Casual or wear a neat warm-up suit issued by the team) or for special events in the community where teams themselves may make exeptions.

Iverson is right on one point in that clothes don't make the man. Dressing as a professional while repesenting your company won't automatically make some people better ( or worse) citizens. Thats is not the point though. As I heard somebody say on the radio today, the NBA is trying to really establish ( almost re- establish in a sense ) it's brand. In the process of doing so, image is VERY important. What does the dress code have to with the players do on the court? Nothing but as NBA players the way they conduct and present themselves off the court matters just as much. Presenting the most professional image makes for a better lookng NBA from at least a marketing standpoint. That's the bottom line.

Which leads to another truth about professional sports.....it's all about the Benjamins

Edited by Pantherbert

What part of my job says I should be required to come in business casual? I can sit here and crunch numbers just the same if I was wearing what I want to wear to work.

The difference is that it is the image you are projecting. Unfortunately, the NBA is a multi-billion dollar industry that most of middle and upper class white America has no interest in, and I would venture to say where the NFL and MLB view as a key demographic and Stern has realized that he has little to no interest in this area, and with that he is making little to no $$$$$. We always seem to forget that professional sports are businesses and the owners have a nice chunk of change invested in them. The first part is the style of game. The second is the image that the players give off. Stern has tried to change the style of game by at least imposing the age minimum. The second part is by at least making the players look presentable when they are on league business.

I don't care how you look when you are on your own time. If you want to go throw back, bling-bling, hat on sideways, fine. But if you are on company or team time, they can call the shots.

Oh yeah, and don't let us forget this was voted as ok by the players in the last CBA agreement.

NBA is a billion dollar industry where the players recieve 57 cents out of every dollar. This is a statement made by David Stern. Well if that is the case, then the players are the ones who bring in the revenue for the league. So why is one man who has no clue about the leagues generation of players trying to control what they wear. Is he making the NBA what it is? NO. The players make the NBA what it is. Mark Cuban says he doesn't own a dress coat, and he seems to be doing pretty well himself. Put a murderer in a coat and tie and he is still a murderer. Clothes don't make people. Just because your work requires you to wear something, doesn't mean professional athletes who make their business go should.

Here is what I get sick and tired of, theses thugs who think that everytime something doesnt go there way, they can use RACE as leverage to get what they want! For example, I get tired of waking up every day and hearing someone complain that the reason they were arrest because of there race, "get a clue you thug, you were arrested because you were commiting a crime"!

This is all leading up to Stephen Jackson saying the dress code is racist!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001