This Is Why I Hate The Nba

NBA is a billion dollar industry where the players recieve 57 cents out of every dollar. This is a statement made by David Stern. Well if that is the case, then the players are the ones who bring in the revenue for the league. So why is one man who has no clue about the leagues generation of players trying to control what they wear. Is he making the NBA what it is? NO. The players make the NBA what it is. Mark Cuban says he doesn't own a dress coat, and he seems to be doing pretty well himself. Put a murderer in a coat and tie and he is still a murderer. Clothes don't make people. Just because your work requires you to wear something, doesn't mean professional athletes who make their business go should.

Do you have a clue about life outside of Fairview and Martin, TN?

The people who bring in the revenues aren't the one who call the shots. The owners are. Stern is a represenative of the owners. I'd be willing to bet 29 out of the 30 owners are for this, Cuban nonwithstanding. Most teams already have a stricter dress code in place for their players. I'm sure there was more to this decision than Stern waking up one morning and saying "Hey, I have an idea! Let's enforce a dress code!" I'm sure there was research, owner input, etc. As a matter of fact, I have heard enough about it to know there was.

As I have tried to state many times, the NBA is a BUSINESS where the goal of the owners is to MAKE MONEY. Whether you like it or not, that is their underriding goal of the owners. And in case you haven't noticed, the NBA has dwindled in popularity among the younger to middle-aged white male where THE MAJORITY OF THE MONEY THEY CAN MAKE IS. The players are the face and represenatives of the league, and when they are travling with the team, doing a press conference, etc. there are on team time officially representing their team and the league. This is solely about the IMAGE OF THE LEAGUE, who pays these players a ridiculous salary to be fairly poor at what they do.

This is the first small step of many I'm willing to say Stern is about to make to clean up the "thug" image of the NBA. Think about it, how many times have you heard someone say they won't watch the NBA because it is a bunch of thugs playing street-ball and it's not interesting to watch? It's his and the owners own fault for letting it get this far out of hand to begin with, but he's got to bring it back to respectability to increase it's popularity among the above mentioned class. They have tried to change the style of game to where it is more appealing, but this is a quick change that can be made to help the league image.

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that it has to be like this, but facts are facts.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NBA is a billion dollar industry where the players recieve 57 cents out of every dollar. This is a statement made by David Stern. Well if that is the case, then the players are the ones who bring in the revenue for the league. So why is one man who has no clue about the leagues generation of players trying to control what they wear. Is he making the NBA what it is? NO. The players make the NBA what it is. Mark Cuban says he doesn't own a dress coat, and he seems to be doing pretty well himself. Put a murderer in a coat and tie and he is still a murderer. Clothes don't make people. Just because your work requires you to wear something, doesn't mean professional athletes who make their business go should.

There is nothing unreasonable about what the NBA is telling it's employees to do.

It's ok to disagree with it but understand that Stern is tryin to change any one person or culture. As I said earlier, the NBA is trying to clean up it's image. Believe it or not many of " the leagues generation of players" don't project a professional image and that is what the league is wanting to do. It's not racist although that won't stop some from trying to label the policy as such.

I went to NBA.com to look into player reactions. Tim Duncan is a model citizen understands what the policy is trying to do but thinks it's " a load of crap" whereas Lebron James sees it has " No big deal" to him. Out of all the qoutes there were two that stood out to me and I think they sum up the entire situation

From the L.A. DAILY NEWS " To a majority of these young men" Phil Jackson said " the rap stars, the hip-hop guys are really kind of like heroes or colleagues....We even have some that are owners in the league. And it's not the same audience. Our audience is corporate businessmen and businesswomen and kids. So it's a different audience you're dealing with and these players should be aware of that."

also......

From the BOSTON HERALD " I mean, it's cool" said Ricky Davis " It's not real harsh. It just changes the image a little. Guys just got to grow up I guess. They're just trying to exclude some things. It's simple to me. Guys need to go out and buy some clothes and start something new"

Edited by Pantherbert

Do you think the NBA main audience is businessmen and businesswomen? Nope. Maybe those are the only ones that can afford tickets on a consistent basis. This dress code is silly and I promise you all that think the dress code is a good idea are over the age of 25.

First, I don't think it's either silly or a bad idea and I'm 23. Second, I'm not trying to prove that this dress code good or bad. I'm just saying that these guys are grown men. Being an adult doesn't mean we can just do whatever we please when we please. When the boss says do something, you better do it. Looking at some player reactions it's almost like some of them are treating David Stern less like the Commissioner of the NBA and more like the head of the local YMCA whose trying to squelch their personality. Third, it's not like this is a big deal. These guys get payed thousands if not millions of dollars per season yet even I could go out to Wal-Mart and find clothing that would meet the NBA's guidelines. Finding and affording clothing won't be a problem.

As far as the NBA' main audience goes, are the hardcore or even casual fans all businessmen or businesswomen? Are they even a majority of those who actually show up on a nightly basis? Maybe, maybe not but you hit on one thing. They can afford tickets on a regular basis and also more season tickets and luxury boxes. Whole corporations do the same thing in order to entertain clients and help bring in business. So, that main audience generates a great deal of money and as I said earlier....in pro sports it's all about the benjamins.

Edited by Pantherbert

Do you think the NBA main audience is businessmen and businesswomen? Nope. Maybe those are the only ones that can afford tickets on a consistent basis. This dress code is silly and I promise you all that think the dress code is a good idea are over the age of 25.

Yup, 25, and starting to have a clue about how life really works. You'll be here soon enough. B)

When Tim Duncan doesn't agree with something the league does then I think some people are going to have to look into it. Tim is a model player on and off the court, he doesn't dress in the hip hop style, rather wants to be comfortable on the sideline and off the court. Tell me why a NBA player's dress off the court before or after the game affects the money making ability of the NBA.

How would you like it if your employer controlled what you wore when you were off work? You wouldn't agree with that. NBA players get paid for the games they play, not for what they do off the court. So leave the dress code to games, not before or after games.

When Tim Duncan doesn't agree with something the league does then I think some people are going to have to look into it. Tim is a model player on and off the court, he doesn't dress in the hip hop style, rather wants to be comfortable on the sideline and off the court. Tell me why a NBA player's dress off the court before or after the game affects the money making ability of the NBA.

How would you like it if your employer controlled what you wore when you were off work? You wouldn't agree with that. NBA players get paid for the games they play, not for what they do off the court. So leave the dress code to games, not before or after games.

You're missing the point. An on-court situation is not the only time and NBA player is considered " at work". When a player is involved with any NBA event in which that player represents the league ( including to and from games). Tim Duncan is a great guy, he doesn't like to dess in a hip-hop style and he is entitled to his opinion. Duncan is an example of that fact that 100% of players and coaches must comply. The rules are for everybody league wide.

'Off the court" meaning away from any NBA or team function the players can wear whatever the heck they want. Even then they have to be aware of their status as NBA players and that anything they do, be it positive or negative, may reflect on the league's image. The NBA is simply doing it's best to control it's image, not it's player's lifestyles away from the league.

Edited by Pantherbert

As long as they behave on the court, let them wear what they want. They get paid for what they do on the court, not what they do or wear off the court.

So it doesn't matter if they misbehave off the court? And what they do OFF the court has everything to do with how they represent themselves in the NBA business ON the court.

It's all about cleaning up the thug aspect of the business...at least that's what it looks like to me. Anyone else feel that way?

Edited by cavfanfolife

The players are resresenative of the team when at press conference and when traveling with the team. That is part of their job as well. That is the only time the dress code is in effect.

When they are at a club with their 500 man entorage, then they are perfectly free to wear whatever their hearts desire.

Edited by Solomon

Ok...I go to NBA games on occasions, and let me tell you something...I dont go to see AI, TMac, Shaq, Kobe or anyone for that matter wear a suit...The players put the fans in the stands, bottom line...without them the NBA wouldnt exist...the league ran fine without a dress code, so why the sudden urge to install one now...david stern cant relate to any of the players of the NBA...he is an older grey headed white man, how many of those do you see running up and down the court on game night? I expected AI and Jackson and Camby to run their mouths, they do it no matter the topic but when Tim Duncan says something is wrong with it, it grabs my attention...This dress code policy is an outrageous policy and I side with the NBA players on this one...

I'm not trying to argue but I just can't see how you view this policy as outrageous.

It's ok to disagree as long as you understand that people have to be grown-up enough to give their opinion and then just do what the boss says. What'll happen is most players will comply. Some won't and will be fined every now and then and the NBA will go on.

well in his defense on the racist comment...you dont see many white or foreign players walking around with chains down to thier privates or with their pants sagging...it mostly is the african americans, so i could see where it might come off as racist...

Thats cause there momma would have smacked them into next week if they walked around showing off their butt or their underwear! I dont want to see Jackson's underwear, do you? Didnt think so! But there are a few white players that dress this way!