Small Towns With Big Programs

flip96

Sharp has been good, but he had some Tradition to build on there too, I remember the 80-82 run of 34-3, 3 undefeated regular seasons in a row loses once in the Semis to a huge Lake County team(another small town school with a big tradition I might add) and two quarter loses to Goodpasture

I would take that as a sign of a strong coach. He comes in and continues the tradition. But you are right, you got to have the tradition to build on.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huntingdon should not even be used in the same sentence as Milan. Milan has been doing it for 30 years. Huntingdon has been solid for the last 10 or so years! Milan is by far the # 1 program in West Tennessee!

Huntingdon could be listed with Crockett Co and Covington!

No doubt Milan is "The Program" from west Tn, but Huntingdon has been solid for 30 years also. There have been very few teams to go to H-Town and know they were getting a win..... Huntingdon has great records in the30's 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's & 2000's. They have really shined the last 10 because of the introduction of 5A's in TSSAA. Huntingdon is a great small town that has centered around football since the 1930's.

No doubt Milan is "The Program" from west Tn, but Huntingdon has been solid for 30 years also. There have been very few teams to go to H-Town and know they were getting a win..... Huntingdon has great records in the30's 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's & 2000's. They have really shined the last 10 because of the introduction of 5A's in TSSAA. Huntingdon is a great small town that has centered around football since the 1930's.

have to say ur right huntingdon and milan both are the real deal

Collinwood High School- Has never won a "Gold Ball", but has had 2 Mr. Football winners (Darrin Ward and Jonathan Ward), and one runner-up (Jake Lineville). With less than a thousand population, Collinwood has produced some great teams. Several trips to the semi's.Collinwood has had many exceptional atheletes over the years with no nearby city or large town to draw atheletes from. Just our own homegrown kids.

Collinwood is a "REAL" small town.

I'd say Robertson County schools are doing fairly well.

Three of the only five public high schools here in Robertson County are currently leading their respective Regions. Greenbrier and Jo Byrns are leading their's and East Robertson is tied for 1st in their Region. All three are one stop-light towns. I realize the regular season's not over, but that is a major accomplishment for this area. Keep it up guys!

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

Considering the schools mentioned berfore, do the middles school and little league programs have a good connection w/ the high school program? Do they run the same basic offense/defense so that they don't have to re-teach the kids as Freshman? Does the high school have a say in the middle school programs?

I would have to say that Jasper (Marion County) and South Pittsburg are two of the most storied small schools in the state. From their 80+ year consecutive rivalry to their combined 7 state titles. Marion County was the most dominant team in 2A and then 3A in the state in the early to mid 90's and South Pittsburg along with Trousdale was the most dominating in 1A. Each team had several Mr. Football finalists and a few winners. Eric Westmoreland of Marion and Eddie Moore of SP being the most known for their careers at UT and now in the NFL.

I'd say Robertson County schools are doing fairly well.

Three of the only five public high schools here in Robertson County are currently leading their respective Regions. Greenbrier and Jo Byrns are leading their's and East Robertson is tied for 1st in their Region. All three are one stop-light towns. I realize the regular season's not over, but that is a major accomplishment for this area. Keep it up guys!

All of the school systems in Trousdale County usually win their respective regions...

All of the school systems in Trousdale County usually win their respective regions...

Considering you only have ONE high school!!! Which is good, but you shouldn't try to single out what Greenbriercat2 was trying to say about Robertson County.

Way to go Greenbrier and JoByrns. Hopefully East will be with you. Springfield you still have a shot. White House Hertiage has come along way. We are pulling for you next year.

There is NO DOUBT!

TROUSDALE COUNTY is the SMALLEST/BEST program going right now!

A 1A school,played up the past few years,did very well.

Now back in 1A,where they should be numbers wise,and DOMINATING!

Best small program in the state: Trousdale County Yellow Jackets!

THE SQUAD :thumb:

TC is the only high school in Trousdale Co. The county population is over 7000. Where are all these kids going to high school? Out of 7000 people surely there are more than 360 at the high school level.