Small Towns With Big Programs

flip96

I am just wondering what small towns or communties have good football programs and what makes them good?

Examples are like Cloudland, Onieda, Greenback, South Pitt., etc. I don't know many in middle and west Tennessee so who are you?

Just because they are down this year or have been down the last few years dosen't mean they don't have an overall good program. So mention these schools to.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In West TN it has to be Huntingdon and Milan. (There are other good programs over here, but I'm talking consistancy for the past 30 to 40 years.) Football in these two towns is huge from a very young age. It is my opinion they win due to the number of kids they have out for football year after year; from the junior leagues, to junior high, and on into high school.

One program in the middle TN area is Trousdale County. Out of the 95 counties in Tennessee, Trousdale is about 91 I think. Since the 70's, the road to the state championships has run through Hartsville. Consistency in coaching I believe is a positive for any football program. Coach Jim Statterfield (deceased) and his son Clint (present coach) have provided a solid program. Community support is a must and many former players have raised their families and the dynasty continues. There's very little existing industry in this county and the towns has afew small businesses. There is a Sonic and a McDonald's though.

when i was playing ball the best "small" town atmosphere came from what some people call the valley jasper, south pittsburgh, dunlap, and pikeville had tough programs with south pittsburgh and jasper winning state championships. those were the years from 81-86 from the time i can remember being in junior high til i was out of the mix

In West TN it has to be Huntingdon and Milan. (There are other good programs over here, but I'm talking consistancy for the past 30 to 40 years.) Football in these two towns is huge from a very young age. It is my opinion they win due to the number of kids they have out for football year after year; from the junior leagues, to junior high, and on into high school.

Huntingdon should not even be used in the same sentence as Milan. Milan has been doing it for 30 years. Huntingdon has been solid for the last 10 or so years! Milan is by far the # 1 program in West Tennessee!

Huntingdon could be listed with Crockett Co and Covington!

Edited by WesCharge

No doubt about Lewis Co. Coach Sharpe does a heck of a job. Sweet stadium also.

Sharp has been good, but he had some Tradition to build on there too, I remember the 80-82 run of 34-3, 3 undefeated regular seasons in a row loses once in the Semis to a huge Lake County team(another small town school with a big tradition I might add) and two quarter loses to Goodpasture