Tennessean's Lack Of Coverage

timbdp

Why isn't there any coverage of White House's game against Station Camp in the Tennessean, these two teams played for the third time in two and a half weeks and the last time in the district championship game was 3-2 in overtime. There was a story that covered most of the other region tournaments in the midstate, but didn't even have a score from White House-Station Camp.

Edited by timbdp

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't there any coverage of White House's game against Station Camp in the Tennessean, these two teams played for the third time in two and a half weeks and the last time in the district championship game was 3-2 in overtime. There was a story that covered most of the other region tournaments in the midstate, but didn't even have a score from White House-Station Camp.

The Tennessean is an abysmal excuse for a newspaper in a major metropolitan area. it's not just their sports coverage...it is from front to back. They only consider it news if they can get it from the AP, or if they don't have to go more than 5 minutes from their homes. As for Soccer.....they probably get most of their information by having it called into them....consequently it is hard to give a lot of credence to their reporting and writing covering the "ancillary" sports, unfortunately the City paper 1. does not deliver to residences and 2. is not able to do much better with their limited budget....with that said....the day my kids no longer play competitive esports....my subscription with the Tennessean is cancelled.

Edited by flashgordon

The Tennessean is an abysmal excuse for a newspaper in a major metropolitan area. it's not just their sports coverage...it is from front to back. They only consider it news if they can get it from the AP, or if they don't have to go more than 5 minutes from their homes. As for Soccer.....they probably get most of their information by having it called into them....consequently it is hard to give a lot of credence to their reporting and writing covering the "ancillary" sports, unfortunately the City paper 1. does not deliver to residences and 2. is not able to do much better with their limited budget....with that said....the day my kids no longer play competitive esports....my subscription with the Tennessean is cancelled.

the tennessean does a fairly decent job with soccer they do put rosters and results up thats better then the memphis newspaper now there coverage is bad the chattanooga newspaper does the best job

the tennessean does a fairly decent job with soccer they do put rosters and results up thats better then the memphis newspaper now there coverage is bad the chattanooga newspaper does the best job

My disappointment with the Tennessean goes much deeper than soccer, but you are correct....the Chattanooga paper outshines the Tennessean in local sports coverage without any doubt, don't know about Memphis....I would guess Knoxville is all about UT?

All of you people have valid points.

Soccer in general is the evil twin sister of sports in Tennessee.

This is not my opinion, but the opinion of most backwoods AD's

in our schools. In our area 8AAA all we hear is how soccer has hurt football & baseball programs.

To all nonsoccer people out there reading coach-t, including the tennessean and it's sports writing staff, WAKE UP.

SOCCER IS ON THE RISE AND IT'S NOT GOING TO SLOW DOWN!!!!

As for the tennessean it's always one sided and has never had good coverage on the game of soccer at any level.

:thumb:

So True about the Tennessean soccer coverage for girls and boys.

The only time they write an article is during the region playoffs through states. Most of the coverage is written by Jessica Hopp who tends to write only about teams south of Nashville. I cancelled my subcription also due to the fact that the soccer coverage was terrible. As far as other sports I would give it a 4 on a scale of 10 unless it pertains to the Titans or Vols then they over do it.

The only time they write an article is during the region playoffs through states. Most of the coverage is written by Jessica Hopp who tends to write only about teams south of Nashville. I cancelled my subcription also due to the fact that the soccer coverage was terrible. As far as other sports I would give it a 4 on a scale of 10 unless it pertains to the Titans or Vols then they over do it.

thats true its kind of like when they pick all mid-state or has i like to call it all mid-nashville because last year tullahoma girls and blackman boys got disrespected in all mid-state

Space in a paper correlates to the intrest. You have done what you must. Lets face it soccer is not that popular of a sport with the masses. I suggest you follow another sport if you are looking for validation through the papers.

:thumb::thumb:

Edited by GREG141

How has the Knoxville paper done with soccer?

Up until regions, most of the coverage was pretty sparce, but the usually had blurbs about some of the bigger games.

But region finals, they had a huge color photo and article of one of Catholic's players, as well as articles about Oak Ridge and West. With it being football season, I thought the coverage was pretty good. They also keep scoring and goalkeeping records for the whole Knox county, in all divisions.

I spend a lot of time in Knoxville, and the soccer coverage there is also weak. But they are a much smaller city than Nashville and have an excuse. There are enough people in the 22nd biggest city in America interested in high school soccer to warrant the publishing of better and more frequent writeups.

Maybe no one cared in 1985 when there were 6 teams, but in 2005 with 227 girls programs in Tennessee, it's much, much bigger than some realize!

Chattanooga even does scoring leaders from the area like the Tennessean does football stats.