Differing Views Of Euverard From @ Jeff County

TBrown3

I was reading an old Jefferson County message board and i noticed a couple of comments that got me thinking. These things ex-players write about what a terrible coach euverard is are just ridiculous. Just because a coach was on a state champion football team, doesn't mean he can take a new team with little leadership and a small amount of raw talent and make an elite, undefeated team. (that's just common sense) A friend of mine plays now and he thinks coach euverard is one of the best coaches around. Funny though...he was used to disipline before joining the team, therefore euverard's rules and tough coaching methods were not a problem. Obviously, many others have a problem with it. I do not believe a coach can be attacked on the fact that he failed to rally a team of petition-starters and authority-challengers together for the better. I, for one believe that Jefferson County played one of their best games against Sevierville (even though it was a loss) after the "negative energy" was cut from the team. Despite the loss of talent, I think the team is much better off without them. comments?

I was reading an old Jefferson County message board and i noticed a couple of comments that got me thinking. These things ex-players write about what a terrible coach euverard is are just ridiculous. Just because a coach was on a state champion football team, doesn't mean he can take a new team with little leadership and a small amount of raw talent and make an elite, undefeated team. (that's just common sense) A friend of mine plays now and he thinks coach euverard is one of the best coaches around. Funny though...he was used to disipline before joining the team, therefore euverard's rules and tough coaching methods were not a problem. Obviously, many others have a problem with it. I do not believe a coach can be attacked on the fact that he failed to rally a team of petition-starters and authority-challengers together for the better. I, for one believe that Jefferson County played one of their best games against Sevierville (even though it was a loss) after the "negative energy" was cut from the team. Despite the loss of talent, I think the team is much better off without them. comments?

I don't know the problem but I do know the man. He cares more about young men than any coach I have coached with. I don't know anything about the talent level. But I believe there are other factors controlling his succes or failure. The questions I have is does the community accepted him? Are the parents behind him and support his discipline? I heard there was a parent to bring out some petition to get him fired. Is that true? What did he do? Was it some parent that son was not playing and decided he wanted to be in control? I am trying to be open to both sides. All I know is that if you don't want him there will be people waiting in line for him to hire him. It is sad in todays culture that a football coach is subject to this type of abuse and his family.... did anyone think about the man's family. I will be hear to defend Coach U ( that's what his friends call him) from some of you vultures. I hope there are more positive people out there that admires a strong coach like I do.

I know absolutely nothing about the situation in Jeff County but read about the petition thing in the Knox newspaper. All teams at any level have to have standards and discipline to be successful. A coach has to have certain standards for his program and any players who cannot get with the program need to move on for the good of the program. It takes time for any coach to get a program as good as it will someday be unless he is fortunate enough to get a job at one that is already a championship contender. Once he has the chance to get a group of seniors who have been through his program for all four years the results will likely come from what I have heard of him. Parents jobs are to be supportive of the program, not to try and be assistant coaches or athletic directors. A coach's job is difficult enough without meddling parents and disgruntled players causing dissension in the ranks. Like I said I don't know the whole story so I may be speaking out of turn. But this is only his second year there right? Give him a chance to establish his program before drawing conclusions. I have heard enough people speak out for this man's character to indicate to me he deserves that much.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know anything about what is going on with the football program there at Jeff. Co. But I do know that ever since Euverard took over there haven't been many wins, and it seems to be getting worse. He may be a great guy and all that, but if he doesn't start winning soon he'll be gone. Jefferson Co. has gone from competing for first place in the big east every year, to the celler under Euverard. Not knocking the guy, just stating the facts.

Coach U is the best of the best. Just because he won the state in his first year as HC at Oakland and went to the semi's his 2nd doesn't mean he can do it his first year or even his second at Jeff County. These seniors have been thru 3 HC and that HAS to be hard to accept anyone after how Meadows left them. Give the man a chance. As for schools waiting in line to hire him......that is definitely a TRUE statement.

Not everyone that signed the petition was dismissed from the team. That is causing a lot of the controversy. A major thing is being overlooked. Yes, I know this is football country. Yes, I know it is the good ole boys club. I know it is also the USA. Students and football players have freedom of speech. A lot of people say football players should not voice their dislike of a coach. Football players do not forfeit their 1st amendment rights.

The football players are still kids. The coaches should be the adults. It may disappoint a coach when half the team signs a petition but they have the right to say it. Also, if half the team is saying something is wrong, someone should listen.

Not everyone that signed the petition was dismissed from the team. That is causing a lot of the controversy. A major thing is being overlooked. Yes, I know this is football country. Yes, I know it is the good ole boys club. I know it is also the USA. Students and football players have freedom of speech. A lot of people say football players should not voice their dislike of a coach. Football players do not forfeit their 1st amendment rights.

The football players are still kids. The coaches should be the adults. It may disappoint a coach when half the team signs a petition but they have the right to say it. Also, if half the team is saying something is wrong, someone should listen.

There was absolutely NO reason to do any of this DURING the season tho.

There was absolutely NO reason to do any of this DURING the season tho.

It was not the intent of the players to present it during the season. The Coaches, AD and Principal found out and decided to have a meeting to determine who started it, who signed it and one other question I cannot remember.

They could have easily said, Hey guys I know about the petition that has been started. We have worked hard as a team all year long lets do this for 3 more games for our seniors. At the end of the season, we will discuss your concerns.

But no, ego got the best of them and how dare anyone start a petition. Take a deep breath and you will realize the kids did nothing but exercise their rights. Coach U actually teaches Civic and Government. He could have used this as a perfect example of first amendment rights. If your child is mad at you, he/she may say they hate you and don't want you to be their parent anymore. Do you kick them out of the house at 14, 15, and 16 just for saying that? Of course not. Its just an expression of an opinion. You see it for what it is. If you have no idea why he/she said that, ask.

It was not the intent of the players to present it during the season. The Coaches, AD and Principal found out and decided to have a meeting to determine who started it, who signed it and one other question I cannot remember.

They could have easily said, Hey guys I know about the petition that has been started. We have worked hard as a team all year long lets do this for 3 more games for our seniors. At the end of the season, we will discuss your concerns.

But no, ego got the best of them and how dare anyone start a petition. Take a deep breath and you will realize the kids did nothing but exercise their rights. Coach U actually teaches Civic and Government. He could have used this as a perfect example of first amendment rights. If your child is mad at you, he/she may say they hate you and don't want you to be their parent anymore. Do you kick them out of the house at 14, 15, and 16 just for saying that? Of course not. Its just an expression of an opinion. You see it for what it is. If you have no idea why he/she said that, ask.

And the DISCUSSION COULD have waited til after the season. This shows where these kid's loyalties are.....and they were NOT with the school. THIS could have all waited til AFTER the season. If you think the coaches should have let this go on......fragmenting what was left of this team while they PITTED against the staff...then OBVIOUSLY you are more worried about SELF than TEAM and THAT is the whole problem. You not SEEING this tells me that YOU have NEVER played any kind of TEAM sports. And you are right...EGO got in the way....but it wasn't the EGO of the staff......sounds like it wasthe EGO a kid's daddy who THINKS lil JO-Jo is better than he ISSSSSSSSSS and planted the I have RIGHTS seed!!!!! Petitions are for COWARDS....prove yourself on the field.

Edited by 2priceless

Freedom of speech can get you fired. Try starting a petition at work to get your boss fired and see what happens.

What would happen to a college or pro player who started a petition to fire the coach? Freedom of speech?

Yes, you have the freedom to speak, but it may have consequences you don't like.

Once again, we have attempted this topic numerous times and it never solves anything because it is specific to a particular school and involves emotional responses by the people personally involved. Once the football playoffs are over this may be a topic we need to revisit in a generic way as to what are the rights of a player, etc. and when has he stepped over the line? For now, lets concentrate on the games being played.