Hope For Next Season

The General

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez people.

Yes, I am disappointed we've not won an SEC title since 98. We had the most talent in 99 and the best shot in 01. In Fulmer's tenure, we should have have 5 SEC titles (96, 97, 98, 99, and 01). I would say 6 had Colquitt been healthy the entire 94 season.

These seasons happen. There's 1000 reasons this team has greatly underperformed. And as bad as it has been, we've got the #12 defense in America, and are less than 20 plays away from being 8-1 right now. This is not an uncorrectable problem. It just shows the difference between being great and average.

Say what you want, a new OC who runs a tight ship on his side of the ball is going to fix a lot of the problems. Fulmer gives his assistants a lot of control. The downside to that is that he is loyal to a fault. Chavis did his part, Sanders did not. There will be a new OC. Cutcliffe or not, it will be someone who has proven their worth and get the offense going.

I totally agree, and dont forget the 1989 and 1990 SEC titles under Fulmer! :thumb:

I think me and you are the only UT fans that havent jumped ship on here, but the others will climb back on next season! :thumb:

I totally agree, and dont forget the 1989 and 1990 SEC titles under Fulmer! :thumb:

I think me and you are the only UT fans that havent jumped ship on here, but the others will climb back on next season! :thumb:

Apparently in this state the phrase "it can be fixed" means the same as "it's not been a bad season." I can't even lsiten to talk radio anymore because of the constant barrage of Doomsday prophets. Then again most of the fans that are like this are probably the same ones that said that the 13-0 season in 98 wasn't good enough and that we should have done better.

I'm not saying I am happy with Fulmer or anyone else on the offensive side of the ball right now. What I have tried to say is that the problem has been recognized by Fulmer (albeit later than any fan would have liked), part of the problem has been solved, and more of the problem is going to be solved in about 6-8 weeks. This team does not need an overhaul of the engine. It needs a tune up, and it's about to get one.

As for the fans.....I almost left at halftime Saturday because of the fans around me. The worst part of being a fan at the games when you are losing is that the "less sophisticated" start to show up and make it miserable for you. Heck, Saturday I might try to see if I can find a couple of empty spots in the student section, at least there I'm dealing college kids and not "adults" who like to say the name "Cooter".

Solomon you may find plenty of empty seats in the student section. Why do UT fans have to go back 7-15 years to talk about any accomplishments? Have you been living off of 98' all this time, like Fulmer. Your right he let's his assistants run the show, good or bad. And he leaves the discipline up to the Knox Co Sheriff. Just what exactly does he do? Oh thats right he goes out all over the country and gets these 5 star citizens of high moral character.

Someone said earlier that it doesn't matter who the qb is next year. Boy that sounds familiar. Apparently it does matter who is qb.

Solomon you may find plenty of empty seats in the student section. Why do UT fans have to go back 7-15 years to talk about any accomplishments? Have you been living off of 98' all this time, like Fulmer. Your right he let's his assistants run the show, good or bad. And he leaves the discipline up to the Knox Co Sheriff. Just what exactly does he do? Oh thats right he goes out all over the country and gets these 5 star citizens of high moral character.

Someone said earlier that it doesn't matter who the qb is next year. Boy that sounds familiar. Apparently it does matter who is qb.

Who's living in the past? I was just making reference to people who complained that 13-0 and a national title wasn't good enough in 98.

And who said I am taking up for Fulmer? If you had been reading these threads, you would have read at one point how I said Fulmer needs to become more hands on in the coaching part of it, especially the O-line. You would have also read how I have said that yes, I do believe he's lost a lot of his focus that drove the program to the elite level and now it has dropped down. You will find these "citizens with high moral character" at every major program. It's not just Tennessee. This past year has definitely been a problem, no denying that, but most years the problems at UT are about the same stuff that go on everywhere else.

In short, I'm as critical of Fulmer as anyone. I refuse to refer to him as coach at this point. And yes, he's lived off of 98 too long. I also don't believe that he should be shown the door after one bad season. If 2006 is a repeat, then we can start discussing who the next coach should be. However, I don't expect 2006 to be a repeat.

I do think that Tennessee fans, myself included, have gotten to used to success and have unrealistic expectations year in and year out. The fans are ridiculous and the coaches have become too complacent. Losing changes all of that.

I expect Fulmer to tighten the reigns and this offseason to be much quieter than last. Fulmer gives 2nd chances, and he should. We forget that the guys he is dealing with are 18-22 year old alpha males most of which don't have a fatherly figure in their lives. Just don't expect any players to get a third chance from here on out.

And finally.....we all know how UT performs when that get the backed into a corner mentality gets going. I expect them to recover well.

Who's living in the past? I was just making reference to people who complained that 13-0 and a national title wasn't good enough in 98.

And who said I am taking up for Fulmer? If you had been reading these threads, you would have read at one point how I said Fulmer needs to become more hands on in the coaching part of it, especially the O-line. You would have also read how I have said that yes, I do believe he's lost a lot of his focus that drove the program to the elite level and now it has dropped down. You will find these "citizens with high moral character" at every major program. It's not just Tennessee. This past year has definitely been a problem, no denying that, but most years the problems at UT are about the same stuff that go on everywhere else.

In short, I'm as critical of Fulmer as anyone. I refuse to refer to him as coach at this point. And yes, he's lived off of 98 too long. I also don't believe that he should be shown the door after one bad season. If 2006 is a repeat, then we can start discussing who the next coach should be. However, I don't expect 2006 to be a repeat.

I do think that Tennessee fans, myself included, have gotten to used to success and have unrealistic expectations year in and year out. The fans are ridiculous and the coaches have become too complacent. Losing changes all of that.

I expect Fulmer to tighten the reigns and this offseason to be much quieter than last. Fulmer gives 2nd chances, and he should. We forget that the guys he is dealing with are 18-22 year old alpha males most of which don't have a fatherly figure in their lives. Just don't expect any players to get a third chance from here on out.

And finally.....we all know how UT performs when that get the backed into a corner mentality gets going. I expect them to recover well.

Just wondering here,,,but most of these players do not have a fatherly figure in their lives......where is that data?

Fulmer's problem is not just this season. It is this season that is the straw that is straining the camel's back. It is the conservative play calling, the continued lack of his teams not living up to expectations and his lack of vision to change things for the better.

just my opinion.

Just wondering here,,,but most of these players do not have a fatherly figure in their lives......where is that data?

Fulmer's problem is not just this season. It is this season that is the straw that is straining the camel's back. It is the conservative play calling, the continued lack of his teams not living up to expectations and his lack of vision to change things for the better.

just my opinion.

Sorry tex, I can not prove that fact. I don't think the NCAA has decided to keep up with that stat just yet. That came mainly from the interviews, articles, knowing several of the players in college, etc. etc. etc.

Living up to expectations? So are you one of these that says UT should win the national title every year (unrealistic fan)? Lack of vision to change things....in all honesty, if you won 10 games a season 3 times in 5 seasons since 01 (not counting this year), and the other was an 8 win season...would you really be quick to change things?

As I have told anyone, what everyone has been saying since 98 all came to pass this year. All the Fulmer-haters can say "I told you so" with big smiles on their faces if they want. Or....you can see now that the problem has been diagnosed if he is willing to make changes. If 06 isn't any better, then don't worry, he'll be fired, be paid about 8 million or so in a buy out, and we can get a new coach in there only to be criticized and ran off when he loses his first game.

Sorry tex, I can not prove that fact. I don't think the NCAA has decided to keep up with that stat just yet. That came mainly from the interviews, articles, knowing several of the players in college, etc. etc. etc.

Living up to expectations? So are you one of these that says UT should win the national title every year (unrealistic fan)? Lack of vision to change things....in all honesty, if you won 10 games a season 3 times in 5 seasons since 01 (not counting this year), and the other was an 8 win season...would you really be quick to change things?

As I have told anyone, what everyone has been saying since 98 all came to pass this year. All the Fulmer-haters can say "I told you so" with big smiles on their faces if they want. Or....you can see now that the problem has been diagnosed if he is willing to make changes. If 06 isn't any better, then don't worry, he'll be fired, be paid about 8 million or so in a buy out, and we can get a new coach in there only to be criticized and ran off when he loses his first game.

NO, I am not saying that a national title is the expectation every year. In fact, hardly ever. What I am saying is that too often Tn. loses to teams that they should beat. Florida. Ga., etc. OR, they will beat a team that is difficult, only to come back the next week and stink it up with a real gimme on the schedule. That is where my comment about Fulmer's conservative play comes into play. I am surprised that he has not done the Johnny Majors ole 3rd down quick quick crap.

While it use to be Florida (sprurrier) who had Fulmer's number (even tho Urban seems to have the same number), it may now be South Carolina (spurrier) who has Fulmer's number for the future. How does the ole ball coach whip him so often?

I like the tennessee program. I will not call my self a fan, since it mean fanatic. I am not fanatic and blind about what I see. I do not paint my skin orange and white on game day. I just want them to win. Or give the team to someone who will devote more time and effort into the actual game and less to other things that are a tangent of the game.

This season? One thing that stays in my mind was the LSU game on ESPN, 14 arrests on the team. Hey this suff must not happen, shows lack of control somewhere. All teams do have bad years, but its just a hard pill to swallow with our coach getting over 2million a year.Next year just have to wait an see.