Hope For Next Season

The General

This season? One thing that stays in my mind was the LSU game on ESPN, 14 arrests on the team. Hey this suff must not happen, shows lack of control somewhere. All teams do have bad years, but its just a hard pill to swallow with our coach getting over 2million a year.Next year just have to wait an see.

Great point and when most teams have bad years, they are expecting to have a down year, not start the season ranked #3 in the country!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point and when most teams have bad years, they are expecting to have a down year, not start the season ranked #3 in the country!

I have some real questions about how soon Tennessee will be a top-drawer team again. First, let me say that I am not a Tennessee fan. I am a Notre Dame fan, a Vanderbilt graduate. I posted on this board yesterday about the strange behaviors of some Tennessee fans. I admire Tennessee's excellent athletic program and I don' want them to become second class. And I don't think they will.

But, if you look at their roster and their recruiting class up to this point, it appears the cupboard is much more barren than I have ever seen it. What were Tennessee's strengths this year? Everyone would answer that the front 7 would be at the top of the list. They are all 7 gone. Much of the offensive line is gone (I think Sears remains.--Toaina, Douglas, etc. Riggs and Anderson are gone. The secondary was a weak point this year, especially after Allen went down.

Tennessee seems to have back a couple of receivers (Meacham, Swain), a fine running back prospect (Arian Foster), and a very iffy QB. Ainge clearly has the talent, but until he proves himself, he must be a question mark. Crompton is the same. He may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he has to show it.

Some say Fulmer has lived on the late 90's recruiting and reputation. I think that does him and his staff an injustice. Now, he'll get a chance to prove he can built a team.

Another factor is the changing nature of the SEC. Georgia is going to be a fixture, but now Spurrier is certainly going to lead South Carolina to more success than it has had. Bobby Johnson and his staff have long-term commitments at Vanderbilt, Urban Meyer is a very attractive recruiter and personality at Florida, and Auburn probably has the most underrated coaching staff in the conference.

The SEC certainly has earned its reputation as the top NCAA Division I conference this year. It won't be easy to climb back up the ladder.

I have some real questions about how soon Tennessee will be a top-drawer team again. First, let me say that I am not a Tennessee fan. I am a Notre Dame fan, a Vanderbilt graduate. I posted on this board yesterday about the strange behaviors of some Tennessee fans. I admire Tennessee's excellent athletic program and I don' want them to become second class. And I don't think they will.

But, if you look at their roster and their recruiting class up to this point, it appears the cupboard is much more barren than I have ever seen it. What were Tennessee's strengths this year? Everyone would answer that the front 7 would be at the top of the list. They are all 7 gone. Much of the offensive line is gone (I think Sears remains.--Toaina, Douglas, etc. Riggs and Anderson are gone. The secondary was a weak point this year, especially after Allen went down.

Tennessee seems to have back a couple of receivers (Meacham, Swain), a fine running back prospect (Arian Foster), and a very iffy QB. Ainge clearly has the talent, but until he proves himself, he must be a question mark. Crompton is the same. He may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he has to show it.

Some say Fulmer has lived on the late 90's recruiting and reputation. I think that does him and his staff an injustice. Now, he'll get a chance to prove he can built a team.

Another factor is the changing nature of the SEC. Georgia is going to be a fixture, but now Spurrier is certainly going to lead South Carolina to more success than it has had. Bobby Johnson and his staff have long-term commitments at Vanderbilt, Urban Meyer is a very attractive recruiter and personality at Florida, and Auburn probably has the most underrated coaching staff in the conference.

The SEC certainly has earned its reputation as the top NCAA Division I conference this year. It won't be easy to climb back up the ladder.

Sounds like Vanderbilt has another shot at UT next year without Cutler :thumb: