Alcoa vs. CAK

Tornadofan15

For Those interested anymore, here is an article that was printed in the Blount Today newspaper about the game last Fri. The PRINCIPLE of Gatlinburg-Pittman says they DO NOT agree with all the critics who have bashed Alcoa. Well you can read for your self....

Blount Today Article

YEAH MAYBE MICKEY WITH SPORTS TALK 99 WILL READ IT. HE'S PATHETIC FOR THE SPORTS ARENA!

ALCOA BY 60 AND THAT'S HOLDING BACK!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Those interested anymore, here is an article that was printed in the Blount Today newspaper about the game last Fri. The PRINCIPLE of Gatlinburg-Pittman says they DO NOT agree with all the critics who have bashed Alcoa. Well you can read for your self....

Blount Today Article

Thanks for the link.

Even though many think I, and many others have been out of line in our criticism of Alcoa's actions, you can see we were not the only ones who think this event was way out of line. Read the article. You should draw some conclusion that Coach Hammonds of GP does not want to comment on his thoughts as the other football coach. I can't believe GQ, of Maryville has been pulled into this debate. The fact that the phones are ringing, radio talk shows are talking about it, papers are writing about it, the AD is trying to explain it and one of the most prominent and respected coaches in the state, Quarles was asked to comment on it clearly shows this event was beyond the norm of conduct in many's opinion.

Like I said my biggest problem is the message sent to the young men who play this game, and I think the message this game score sent was a negative one and I do not believe everything was done to curtail this embarrassing score upon another program. I will only be able to agree to disagree with many on this event.

With all due respect Wingman, offer a solution or quit compounding on the problem. In my post I tried to analyze the game itself and deduce what could of been done differently. You on the other hand stand by "he disrespected the game". I am a firm believer that everyone deserves their own opinion, but also that every opinion comes from some inner belief. For you to say that means that you are just following the naysayers and going with the crowd, or you truly believe it. If you truly believe it how would you fix it. An opinionated person should somewhere in their mind have an idea of how to fix something they see as wrong. How could of coach Reid acted differently that would have given him more respectability. We have all heard your opinion, now I challenge you to step up and defend it. I would defend and back up my opinions, can you do so with yours. This goes to everyone who has hurled negative comments to Alcoa without offering a solution. Why complain when you don't know what to do differently. I would greatly appreciate it if everyone who expresses an opinion backs it up. If you can't back up comments how do we know you are serious.

Sorry for my ranting, but responses without support to the claim or solutions to the problem really bother me. Anyone can say bad things, I could insult the Mayor of some town in Kansas for his handling of some proposition, but I would not because I am not there, I don't know the situation, and it's not my place because why complain if I don't have a solution in mind. This is a drastic situation, but I am just trying to convey a point.

Again...may 1st round games are blow outs. Several teams across Tn could have scored 91 points or more....but they didn't. Not even Coach Rankin. Coach Reid did and he has to live with his actions. I have not criticized or blame any players. It all lies with Coach Reid. Many calls have been made to TSSAA. The other coaches across Tn figured out a way not to score 91 points and Coach Reid should have. He disgraced the game of football and damaged Alcoa in the process.

Edited by wingman10

Again...may 1st round games are blow outs. Several teams across Tn could have scored 91 points or more....but they didn't. Not even Coach Rankin. Coach Reid did and he has to live with his actions. I have not criticized or blame any players. It all lies with Coach Reid. Many calls have been made to TSSAA. The other coaches across Tn figured out a way not to score 91 points and Coach Reid should have. He disgraced the game of football and damaged Alcoa in the process.

I believe CAK can win this game. From the PrepXtra stats, QB Harb looks like he can throw with the best of them - regardless of school size. He's got several receivers with quite a bit of experience (they get lots of practice most Friday nights). The kicking game is strong. The O Line has done a great job of giving Harb time to throw. I've seen them look shaky on run defense but surely Coach C has had them working on that area.

Perhaps there may be a few out there who remember the Warrior's initial playoff trek in 1993. After an up & down 5-4 season they drew a first round matchup with the 10-0 1A top ranked Cloudland machine at their house. If you've ever been there I believe you'd agree that it can be a very intimidating place to play. More pickup trucks than you've ever seen in one place at a time. The Highlander following hovering over you on the hill like the Rebel army getting ready to pounce. The home boys jumped out to a 30-13 halftime lead and it looked like things were probably over. But the Warriors brought out the west coast aerial offense in the 2nd half. The defense stiffened. With 5 seconds left the Warriors scored 6 to tie it at 30 and the extra point was good. Coulda heard a bunch of pins drop as the folks climbed silently into those pickups and slammed the door. I don't know anyone who ever really explained exactly how that contest went down the way it did. But while some don't believe in such things, others noted that perhaps the gforce was with them that night?

As Yogi might say - "could it be dejavu all over again?"

Go Warriors!!!

The loss of Rae Sykes will become more and more evident as Alcoa moves through the playoffs. It won't matter against CAK but it will next week against Loudon. Next year Alcoa's talent will be significantly less and the year after that they won't be scoring no 91 points in their wildest dreams. Karma is gonna be wicked for Reid in the near future.

First of all, on this matter, you are terribly wrong. Alcoa loses 9 seniors. That means that there will be about 13-14 returning starters. 2- D Line starters return. All 3 current starting LB's will return. 3 out of 4 Secondary players will return. On Offense, There will be at least 2-4 very good RB's returning, including Chris Shiverdecker, and Darrell Tate. FB will return, in a very solid blocker, and suprisingly agile runner, in James Stultz. The QB will be Randall Cobb, a dynamic running QB, with a great Arm. 3 O-linemen return. Both Starting Recievers return. I don't quite understand how this is a major drop in talent. PLUS, there are many very good players that are on second team that see significant playing time already!

This "message" to the state probably would be more significant if it wasn't GP for goodness sake. A team full of my grandmothers wearing no pads could beat GP.

And people are saying that Alcoa is classless. What kind of post is this? How do you think it feels to be a GP player and read that? Is that what High School sports are about? I think not my friend.

Tom...it's great to be back my friend! I see your quite a few ahead of me now...don't worry ill catch you!

[/qI hope both teams play well and no one gets injured. Wingman you R one hard headed guy! But that's ok, "coaches like that". May I remind you of the definition of "WINGMAN" And I quote, "The pilot who positions his aircraft outside and BEHIND the leader"........................ GO ALCOA

I believe CAK can win this game. From the PrepXtra stats, QB Harb looks like he can throw with the best of them - regardless of school size. He's got several receivers with quite a bit of experience (they get lots of practice most Friday nights). The kicking game is strong. The O Line has done a great job of giving Harb time to throw. I've seen them look shaky on run defense but surely Coach C has had them working on that area.

Perhaps there may be a few out there who remember the Warrior's initial playoff trek in 1993. After an up & down 5-4 season they drew a first round matchup with the 10-0 1A top ranked Cloudland machine at their house. If you've ever been there I believe you'd agree that it can be a very intimidating place to play. More pickup trucks than you've ever seen in one place at a time. The Highlander following hovering over you on the hill like the Rebel army getting ready to pounce. The home boys jumped out to a 30-13 halftime lead and it looked like things were probably over. But the Warriors brought out the west coast aerial offense in the 2nd half. The defense stiffened. With 5 seconds left the Warriors scored 6 to tie it at 30 and the extra point was good. Coulda heard a bunch of pins drop as the folks climbed silently into those pickups and slammed the door. I don't know anyone who ever really explained exactly how that contest went down the way it did. But while some don't believe in such things, others noted that perhaps the gforce was with them that night?

As Yogi might say - "could it be dejavu all over again?"

Go Warriors!!!

Thats a good point, topraymore. With that said, lets check the history of your post. The playoff run was in 2003 and CAK was down 23-10 at halftime. Also, the 2005 Alcoa team would absolutley destroy the 2003 Cloudland team. In my opinion, if CAK were to beat Alcoa, that would be a bigger win than the Cloudland victory.

Thats a good point, topraymore. With that said, lets check the history of your post. The playoff run was in 2003 and CAK was down 23-10 at halftime. Also, the 2005 Alcoa team would absolutley destroy the 2003 Cloudland team. In my opinion, if CAK were to beat Alcoa, that would be a bigger win than the Cloudland victory.

Any team beating alcoa before the state game would be huge, I do not see CAK pulling it off though. I agree their QB is very good, but can he withstand constant pressure from Brandon Warren and the others. The first game he could not, and I don't see things changing even without Rae.