bowl games of the past and present

wow1029

Union City hosted the Civitan Bowl for many years through the 1970s and 1980s. .... Mainly a bowl game for Union City High School, but Obion County Central and South Fulton played in it as well in addition to opponents from Memphis area, rural southwest Tennessee and the Nashville area. Always was a good game and nice consolation prize for not making the playoffs back in the day when only the district champion and then later the district champion and runner-up made the playoffs.

Also, Jackson used to host the Casey Jones Bowl

And, I know Milan hosted a bowl game b/c South Fulton went down there and beat the Bulldogs.

Union City hosted the Civitan Bowl for many years through the 1970s and 1980s. .... Mainly a bowl game for Union City High School, but Obion County Central and South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> played in it as well in addition to opponents from Memphis area, rural southwest Tennessee and the Nashville area. Always was a good game and nice consolation prize for not making the playoffs back in the day when only the district champion and then later the district champion and runner-up made the playoffs.

And, I know Milan hosted a bowl game b/c South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> went down there and beat the Bulldogs.

Nashville had the Clinic, Metro and Civic Bowls. Springfield had the Blanket Bowl. Hartsville had the Tobacco Bowl. There was the Nurseryman's Bowl in McMinnville (I think).

1964 Optimist Bowl

optimist_bowl_64.jpg

MHS 7

Young 28

It's the only loss Maryville had in that championship season. THe bowl was actually "thrown together" at the last minute, after both teams had turned in their equipment for the season...almost 1 full month after the season!!

A loss is a loss, in case anyone thinks I'm making excuses :thumb:

1964 Maryville Rebels

Don Rawls 9-1

AP State Champions!!

Lenoir City 21-0 W

Madisonville 34-0 W

Porter 38-0 W

Alcoa 27-7 W

East 27-6 W

Everett 34-0 W

Friendsville 41-0 W

Loudon 33-0 W

Hixson 26-7 W

Young (optimist bowl) 7-28 L

Edited by Rebel Nation

Union City hosted the Civitan Bowl for many years through the 1970s and 1980s. .... Mainly a bowl game for Union City High School, but Obion County Central and South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> played in it as well in addition to opponents from Memphis area, rural southwest Tennessee and the Nashville area. Always was a good game and nice consolation prize for not making the playoffs back in the day when only the district champion and then later the district champion and runner-up made the playoffs.

And, I know Milan hosted a bowl game b/c South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> went down there and beat the Bulldogs.

Ripley had the Tiny Knee Bowl...Huntingdon had a bowl,Gordon Browning Bowl maybe and there was something called The Sight Bowl,but I don't remember where that was....

Yeah I can remember seeing a Blanket from the Blanket Bowl in Lewis County's old field house when I was in middle school.

I saw the 1969 Blanket Bowl, a 21-20 Cumberland win over Clarksville Burt. While I was only 8, it still ranks as one of the most exciting games I have ever seen. That was two teams that really didn't want to lose.

That was Cumberland's last bowl game, and their next to last season.