bowl games of the past and present

wow1029

The Lebanon Jaycees ran the Mid-State Bowl for years. The Blue Devils of Lebanon High defeated Fayetteville City 33-21 in the 1974 game after trailing 21-6 at intermission. (Fayetteville City went on to close and was reborn as Lincoln County High).

The last bowl game was in the mid-80's. It was a doubleheader featuring Dickson County vs. Stratford in the afternoon game and Westmoreland - Celina in the nightcap.

I wish that the old bowl games could be ressurected again I remember when i was a kid the tobacco bowl was the highlight of the season between teams that earned a berth.The crowds were tremendous for the times the bowls like the Lions, St.Jude ,Civitan and ect.meant a lot to kids playing their last game of the season and of their high school careers if they were seniors.A lot of money was generated for a lot of good causes.I once met Charlie Daniels one year when Mt. Juliet played in the tobacco bowl and heard countless stories of dignitaries such as the Govenor once paid a visit to watch his alma mater play there years before i was born.I think the play off system is a good system, but for teams that may not make it a few good ole' bowl games would mean a lot for one more chance to get out there an just play football for one more game and maybe bring home a trophy to someones high school trophy case or maybe just play for a good cause and help out some that are less fortunate along the way.I miss a lot of the good old days.

jellico had a bowl back in the 90's.they had a bowl doublehead back in the 90's in johnson city area.they had the st.mary's bowl at fulton high school.i agree with your comments on bowls but out of 21 teams who could have gone this year only 4 did.many teams who did not make the playoffs went 5 and 5 and the coaches were under the idea that if they lost their bowl game they would finish 5 and 6 below winning.i thought this year in fact sullivan north could have played kingston and sullivan east vs anderson county and karns vs cleveland.also monterey could have played temple in the upperman bowl and copper basin vs huntland but none of this ever happened.

Nurserymen's Bowl in McMinnville - I was on the Dobyns-Bennett team that played in 1984 against Franklin County (whipped us, they had Barry Corn and Tracy Hayworth that year)

Region 1 Officials Bowl was played at the ETSU Minidome for a couple years in 1990's

The Exchange Bowl in Kingsport at J. Fred Johnson Stadium.

Here's an excerpt from a recent article in The State Newpaper in Columbia, SC regarding Steve Spurrier:

"One of Spurrier’s fondest memories is of the final football game of his high school career. Science Hill played in the postseason Exchange Bowl against Church Hill in Kingsport. Trailing 21-0 at halftime, Spurrier went to passing on almost every down in the second half and rallied the Hilltoppers to a 28-21 victory."

There was a bowl that was played in Shelbyville with Harris High playing in the Old Cedar Bucket bowl. I still have pictures in my scrap book when I was in the elem school being at the game. The game was always played on Thanksgiving Day. The old Harris High teams had several great teams and held many national records before we intergrated schools.

There was a bowl that was played in Shelbyville with Harris High playing in the Old Cedar Bucket bowl. I still have pictures in my scrap book when I was in the elem school being at the game. The game was always played on Thanksgiving Day. The old Harris High teams had several great teams and held many national records before we intergrated schools.

I'm not familiar with Harris. Was that one of the black schools? And what years are we talking about?