What about Band?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEEEEEASE NOOOOOO! I'm on alot, and the only post I see about band, is by a band person.... This is about sports, not music. I did both in high school, band is not a sport, and the ones who say it is are the ones who can't play sports....But than again if some one acually started a forum and no one responded like this one it would be short lived...

PLEEEEEASE NOOOOOO! I'm on alot, and the only post I see about band, is by a band person.... This is about sports, not music. I did both in high school, band is not a sport, and the ones who say it is are the ones who can't play sports....But than again if some one acually started a forum and no one responded like this one it would be short lived...

I disagree. I never played in band, but I love a good marching band.

Point 1: Marching band competitions are not just about the music.

Point 2: I would rather see a Band Board than to see band posts in a Football Board.

Well, as long as we're free to say what we don't like about bands, to debate the merits of the first versus second trumpet in our local band, to compare our trombone section to somebody else's trombone section, and to call for the director to be fired if he or she doesn't meet our expectations...sure, why not have a band forum?

To get things started...a couple of years ago our band used "West Side Story" for their halftime show--what a bad choice! In the first place, the mix of instruments in the typical marching band is not very well adapted for that type of music. In the second place, it was dull and boring. In the third place, they did this program all year--why not do something different for each game?

Also...many schools have a pep band performing at basketball games. Why in the world doesn't Lenoir City? What's that about?

Is that the sort of comment you want to see, when you call for a band forum?

• 3 weeks later...

I am not against it, but I dont think that there would be enough interest in it. It would be alot like the Hunting and Fishing Board, used about twice a year.

I don't think so....there are a TON of people involved in bands all over TN; members, directors, fans, and, of course, the people who want to talk bad about it (there's at least one of those people for everything....including football). and i think alot of those people have alot of things they could talk about. there is SO much more involved in band than most people know. i think it would get used alot :blink:

Band members get involved in football. Band members go online, check their team's records, stats, etc. They stumble upon CoachT and sign up.

That paragraph above is not unrealistic at all. I know. :thumb:

And for people who say it's not a sport: Marching band is a team that has to move as one. If one person screws up, it affects the whole team. Members have to adjust to one another. They have to be coordinated. They have to focus on several things at once. They have to get out on a football field and play, rain or shine.

I'm not exactly saying marching band's a sport.

But in my opinion, if you're gonna call hunting, fishing, and bowling sports, then marching band should be a sport as well.

I would definitely check out a band forum if one should appear on this site. :thumb:

By the way, LCborn, I know a lot of schools that don't have bands play at basketball games. Sad fact of life: football gets more attention than basketball. Although, now that I think of it, wouldn't it be pretty distracting to have a band play in such a closed in space as a basketball court? I've watched b-ball games on TV and even the cheerleaders I want to shut up because it seems as though they're distracting the players when they're trying to have a time-out discussion.