VOLS ANNOUNCE OFFENSIVE STAFF CHANGES

Sequatchie

VOLS ANNOUNCE OFFENSIVE STAFF CHANGES

Stephens and Washington relieved of duties

Nov. 27, 2005

Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer announced Sunday that offensive line coach Jimmy Ray Stephens and wide receivers coach Pat Washington have been relieved of their duties effective immediately.

"I appreciate everything Jimmy Ray and Pat have done for Tennessee over the years," Fulmer said. "This was a difficult decision to make, but I feel it is in the best interest for the future of our football program."

Stephens, 51, spent three seasons at Tennessee after a nine-year stint coaching the offensive line at Florida. Prior to his tenure in Gainesville, he spent 13 years in the Florida high school coaching ranks.

Washington, 42, joined the Tennessee staff in 1995. Prior to coming to Knoxville, he served as running backs coach at Baylor and as wide receivers coach at TCU and Southwestern Louisiana (now Louisiana-Lafayette).

Stephens and Washington both have contracts through June 30, 2006, and all terms will be honored. A search for replacements begins after a new offensive coordinator is named.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and you thought this year was going to be a good season. Still don't see a leader on the offensive side of the ball. I guess Ainge will have a drastic change in personality and technique. At least he's not a jerk like his uncle Danny was, or on second thought maybe he is a carbon copy of Uncle Danny.

I think Ainge will grow up alot over the summer and do very well leading his team next year. Tennessee hardly every has a losing season. So you better believe that they are going to make up for it next year.

I think that Ainge will grow up alot of the summer and do very well leading his team next year. The Vols hardly ever have a bad season like this, so you better believe they will make up for it next year.

I have said before Tennessee will probably be picked in the top 25 in the preseason next summer. I would say anywhere between 15-20 or around there even with the problems this season they will still have a Top 5-10 team in terms of talent and with David Cutcliff back on as OC & more importantly QB Coach I think you will see a big leap with Erik Ainge over the summer. Remember Coach Cutliff coached both Mannings and Tee Martin was one of the best college QBs in the country during the 98-99 seasons.

I would also bet that Coach Fulmer and staff when every thing is signed in February will have put together another Top 10-15 recruiting class.

One more thing the last time Tennessee went (5-6) in 1988. They followed that up with Back to Back SEC Championships including an (11-1) season in 1989.

David Cutcliffe will be announced as the new OC at a 5PM press conference today. It appears this was not the slam dunk that most think it was. First, Cut had 2 other offers on the table for more money than he will be making at UT. LOTS more money! Second, he told Fulmer the only way he would take the job would be if he had FULL control of the offense, just as Chavis has FULL control of the defense.

Tee Martin: "I'm not saying he's going to come in there and start kicking guys off the team, but they better strap their seat belts on and be ready for a change. I love seeing him back in Knoxville and am more excited to what happens with him back there. I learned alot from Coach Cut and I hope to work with him one day when I get into coaching. I know it's a different generation now and maybe a different breed of kids, but Coach Cut will get it done."

Bubba Miller: "He coaches details. It wasn't good enough with Cut just to get it done. He wanted it done a certain way and demanded that it be done that way. Tennessee is not that far off. It's the details that make the difference, and he will see to it that details become a priority. He let it be known that he was in charge and the guy running the offense back then. Lack of respect was never even a thought. He coached precision football and that is what this team needs. When we were running sprints, everybody touched the line. If they didn't, we'd all run again. When we did our 10 perfect plays at the end of practice, they had to be perfect. If they weren't, we'd start all over again. I think what you'll see with Cut is that he'll re-emphasize the finer points of football, which will benefit everybody."

Second, he told Fulmer the only way he would take the job would be if he had FULL control of the offense, just as Chavis has FULL control of the defense.

And this would be a change from the way they have been doing business, i.e. Fulmer not involved. That is a gimme if I ever saw one in a contract negotiation.

Sounds like a weiner to me. Cut in charge of the offense and Chief running the defense. I guess Bubba will just stand on on the sideline and earn his 2 mill. Or better still, he could put himself in charge of the special teams and see if that would be improved. If he can't work his magic there, then maybe he will fire himself. He could spend the off season trying to come up with plan to beat Peabody. Oh so much to do.