Kentucky Split Debate heats up

DS2001

A Tennessee-style multiplier would move CovCath, LexCath, Owensboro Catholic, and DeSales to AAAA in football. Louisville Christian would be jumped to AAA but for the one-step rule, so they would instead end up in AA along with both Holy Crosses, NCC, and Lexington Christian. The only private A school would be Country Day.

I think the schools you mentioned could compete with the 4A schools in their respective areas, and the others could as well. KCD wouldn't be a factor in most sports in 1A....I know they don't have a football team.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting in Kentucky, that several proposals were presented in addition to Prop 20, that addressed individual issues of concern:

1) Setting boundaries from which the private schools can draw kids. The proposal was 20 miles. A kid outside the 20 miles would have to sit out the first year at the school.

2) Out-of-State students. This affected the border schools overall, and not primarily the private schools. But, there seems to be a side-issue with private schools in Louisville allowing Southern Indiana students into their schools and onto their sports teams. Apparently, it's actually a much bigger issue for publics on some of the borders, but it still would have addressed one bone of contention.

These two proposals were skipped over and Prop20 voted upon first. I find that both interesting and telling of the willingness of the public schools to REALLY work toward a compromise that allows the private schools to compete in the same system.

I don't think the 20 mile limitation solves anything. I also think the privates should be able to take out of state students. Some are very close by. Who came up with this stuff?

I don't know what the answer is in Ky...as I really don't know where we are headed either. You have a whole different set of problems to contend with.

You are right that a multiplier would not be feasible in Ky. T and X are already in the largest class. I have heard talk of Ky. increasing the number of classes. Is that a real possibility? Would that help at all?

I don't think the 20 mile limitation solves anything. I also think the privates should be able to take out of state students. Some are very close by. Who came up with this stuff?

I don't know what the answer is in Ky...as I really don't know where we are headed either. You have a whole different set of problems to contend with.

You are right that a multiplier would not be feasible in Ky. T and X are already in the largest class. I have heard talk of Ky. increasing the number of classes. Is that a real possibility? Would that help at all?

There is that talk, but to be honest, I think the liklihood of Prop 20 passing is greater than adding a class. Adding a class (or classes) will do nothing but further accentuate the disparity, and unless those in the same class with T & X choose to be there, this will not work either.

The real thing here is that football is the only big sport T & X dominate. X dominates swimming and cross country..and golf...but some schools, public and private don't even offer those sports. Trinity's had some great success at lacrosse, but that's not a sanctioned sport and we've been travelling all over in that sport to play. And that's a club sport...no 'real' state title available. Assumption dominates Volleyball, Sacred Heart basketball. All the girls private schools pretty much dominate field hockey...but again, it's not a sanctioned sport, so that isn't an issue. As far as soccer, public schools all the way, and baseball the same. It's really an issue selectively...

There is that talk, but to be honest, I think the liklihood of Prop 20 passing is greater than adding a class. Adding a class (or classes) will do nothing but further accentuate the disparity, and unless those in the same class with T & X choose to be there, this will not work either.

The real thing here is that football is the only big sport T & X dominate. X dominates swimming and cross country..and golf...but some schools, public and private don't even offer those sports. Trinity's had some great success at lacrosse, but that's not a sanctioned sport and we've been travelling all over in that sport to play. And that's a club sport...no 'real' state title available. Assumption dominates Volleyball, Sacred Heart basketball. All the girls private schools pretty much dominate field hockey...but again, it's not a sanctioned sport, so that isn't an issue. As far as soccer, public schools all the way, and baseball the same. It's really an issue selectively...

Assumption certainly dominates in Volleyball but I would disagree with the assertion that Sacred Heart dominates basketball. They did win 3 State titles in a row from 2002-2004 while Lex Cath won in 1999, 2001, and 2005. Lex Cath was runner-up to Sacred Heart 2 of those years. I would say that LexCath AND Sacred Heart dominate KY Girls Basketball. :thumb:

I don't know about TN but Boys and Girls soccer in KY is dominated by the schools in the heavily populated areas(Lex, Lou, NKY). I would say that this is due to the strong Club presence. In KY the idea of leveling the playing field is focused on

Public vs. Private but I could make a case that the real unlevel field is between Urban and Rural areas. No one is looking at that at all.

Edited by Generally Speaking

Assumption certainly dominates in Volleyball but I would disagree with the assertion that Sacred Heart dominates basketball. They did win 3 State titles in a row from 2002-2004 while Lex Cath won in 1999, 2001, and 2005. Lex Cath was runner-up to Sacred Heart 2 of those years. I would say that LexCath AND Sacred Heart dominated KY Girls Basketball. :thumb:

Generally speaking...of course. :lol:

Assumption certainly dominates in Volleyball but I would disagree with the assertion that Sacred Heart dominates basketball. They did win 3 State titles in a row from 2002-2004 while Lex Cath won in 1999, 2001, and 2005. Lex Cath was runner-up to Sacred Heart 2 of those years. I would say that LexCath AND Sacred Heart dominate KY Girls Basketball. :D

I don't know about TN but Boys and Girls soccer in KY is dominated by the schools in the heavily populated areas(Lex, Lou, NKY). I would say that this is due to the strong Club presence. In KY the idea of leveling the playing field is focused on

Public vs. Private but I could make a case that the real unlevel field is between Urban and Rural areas. No one is looking at that at all.

True to all of the above.

Interesting, until maybe a decade ago, there was a period when, in football, there was a Louisville team vs. a State at Large team. Then, everyone complained it wasn't fair to always have a Jefferson County Team in the final. So, it was switched to East/West brackets, and Trinity was put in the East, and Male & X in the West. Maybe what really needs to be done is to put Trinity/X/Male all on the same side of the bracket? I still think that one of the 3 will be in the final, but no one can cry foul that both Trinity & X are there. :D

Edited by rockmom