Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

Yeah I know that most public school programs pour tons of money into there athletic programs. We get what ever we want, whenever we want it. And on top of that all of out parents really care about their kids education and are willing to invest not only their money but theirselves in our athletic programs. Why I do not remember the last time I coached a fee waiver kid that couldn't buy his own shoes or pay for for his own meals. You know I can't imagine public schools ever facing the issue of shutting down middle school or high school athletics, because the money is just pouring in daily.

Of course I know that those private school parents all drive BMW's and mercedes. I bet there are no blue collar parents that struggle to send there kids to a private school because they want what they feel is best for their child. And I bet those private school coaches sit around a light their victory cigars with $100 bills after wins. Its probably hastens back to the days of Rockefeller and Carnegie.

(excuse me while I clean up the dripping sarcasm...)

But seeing as we all have it so good then what factors should we focus on in terms of a split? If we are all rolling in the money with great facilities, parents and all these advantages, what factors present an inequality? What was that saying on the old TV show "just the facts ma'am." I will stipulate that both sides have advantages and disadvantages, but lets look at the numbers (%wins, % of players that play at the next level, potential number of students, etc. It is in those facts that the argument to split or not to split lies, not in the rhetoric.

<every time I think I am out they pull me back in...>

Edited by FadePattern

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know that most public school programs pour tons of money into there athletic programs. We get what ever we want, whenever we want it. And on top of that all of out parents really care about their kids education and are willing to invest not only their money but theirselves in our athletic programs. Why I do not remember the last time I coached a fee waiver kid that couldn't buy his own shoes or pay for for his own meals. You know I can't imagine public schools ever facing the issue of shutting down middle school or high school athletics, because the money is just pouring in daily.

Of course I know that those private school parents all drive BMW's and mercedes. I bet there are no blue collar parents that struggle to send there kids to a private school because they want what they feel is best for their child. And I bet those private school coaches sit around a light their victory cigars with $100 bills after wins. Its probably hastens back to the days of Rockefeller and Carnegie.

(excuse me while I clean up the dripping sarcasm...)

But seeing as we all have it so good then what factors should we focus on in terms of a split? If we are all rolling in the money with great facilities, parents and all these advantages, what factors present an inequality? What was that saying on the old TV show "just the facts ma'am." I will stipulate that both sides have advantages and disadvantages, but lets look at the numbers (%wins, % of players that play at the next level, potential number of students, etc. It is in those facts that the argument to split or not to split lies, not in the rhetoric.

<every time I think I am out they pull me back in...>

If the argument to split or not split lies in the "facts" that you quoted then you better consider splitting with Maryville, Knox Powell, Alcoa, Riverdale, Hillsboro, Trousdale County, and several others, and that is just in Football...

The true argument to split or not split (at least according to many) is about a level playing field (which is a pipe dream). But a semi level field can be achieved by a merit system. A split simply removes the privates and leaves the truly dominate teams right where they are.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be in complete agreement with a merit based system, alas, I fear that the odds of that happening are essentially zero. With the absence of a merit based system then the next best way to "level the playing field" is a split. But a merit system would be preferable.

Do any states current have a "Merit System"?

I for one think that the school systems that zone "open enrollment" like the ones in west Tn should also have to submit to the multiplier.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparantly you have been to some different private D1 schools than I have.

#1 NFL coaches? First I've heard of it. The D1 privates in the Chattanooga area can barely afford two stipend coaches and the rest are volunteers. By the way, several public schools tha I know of have coaches who are not faculty members.

Ask the booster clubs of most successful programs (public or private) and you'll find that the income of the coaches is almost identical, with a slight advantage going to the public schools.

#2 What makes you think that there are no broken homes in private schools? The only thing that makes any real-world sense in this post is that private schools have more control over the discipline of the students. You are correct there.

#3 Agian, there is no way that you've seen the facilities at Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell-Harding, Grace, Temple or DCA for that matter. Vastly inferior to most, if not all public facilities. Shoot, even Notre Dame ( 3A, in Chattanooga) isn't anything to get excited about.

I stand by everything I've said here. Unfortunately you are standing in most of what you've said here.

AMEN 37421. Fat Cat.....I'm sure you meant "SOME PRIVATE SCHOOLS" instead of just saying private schools. The two I know very well are in the situation where the coaches in all sports not only teach classes but often help in other sports other than their main one. The only exception is Boyd Buchanan. The football head coach doesn't teach a class.....he is the school President.

AMEN 37421. Fat Cat.....I'm sure you meant "SOME PRIVATE SCHOOLS" instead of just saying private schools. The two I know very well are in the situation where the coaches in all sports not only teach classes but often help in other sports other than their main one. The only exception is Boyd Buchanan. The football head coach doesn't teach a class.....he is the school President.

Ok guys, lets look at this from the TSSAA standpoint.

1 To be a head coach in the TSSAA you have to be either a current full time teacher or retired with tenure. Then you have a limited number of allowed volunteer assistants.

2. Not to many years ago the public school administrators were polled by the TSSAA and were completely in favor of the split. The TSSAA Board then voted not to split and later implemented the multiplier.

WHY...you ask. Lets face it MONEY. When the split happens and it will. The Private schools WILL pull out of the TSSAA and form their own governing body, (it is already being discussed) why be told how to run your programs by a group that do not want you in the first place. OH yes money....when the privates pull out there goes 60% of the TSSAA revenues (gates, fees, etc...).

Then just think who is going to get the best officials....privates, they will be willing to select and pay top $$.

WHY...you ask. Lets face it MONEY. When the split happens and it will. The Private schools WILL pull out of the TSSAA and form their own governing body, (it is already being discussed) why be told how to run your programs by a group that do not want you in the first place. OH yes money....when the privates pull out there goes 60% of the TSSAA revenues (gates, fees, etc...).

Then just think who is going to get the best officials....privates, they will be willing to select and pay top $$.

First of all the split will hurt both sides financially. Secondly, how do you figure that when the privates leave they will take 60% of all the revenues? I do not think that they make up 60% of the teams in TSSAA. And I am not so sure that privates will be paying top $$ for officials when they do not pay top dollar for teachers.

• 1 month later...

For the Multiplier to truly work you will need to add Alcoa and Maryville to the list of schools. We all know that they both take tuition students from ALL of Blount County. This is why Heritage and William Blount will never have a successful football program. And yes, go ahead and add all the open zoned schools to that list.