Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Another generation moving our sport forward in a non wrestling area,,,, Now that's passing on the Legacy, Coaches. I know Steve Logsdon and Turner Jackson would but they only had girls to play round ball, like Gable.

Now maybe another Simpson, a Connell, or perhaps an Artist Price Climber can throw someone toward Jackson, Gallatin or Union City?? Proud of what we're seeing in Arlington...

Congrats AL Miller on this...

Here's a first... Columbia Daily Herald with the infamous Mo Patton publishes perhaps the First Wrestling Article in Maury Co History...

http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/sports/20170205/summit-indy-raiders8217-mat-reach-state-duals

Summit, Indy, Raiders' mat reach state duals

Pic

Page 182-pounder Houston Tywater, wrestling on the Spring Hill mat, recorded a first-period pin of Greenbrier's Anthony Collins to clinch the Patriots' 37-36 win Saturday for third place in the Class A/AA state duals. (Staff photo by Maurice Patton)

Pic

Independence's Owen Schnedler tries to break down Tennessee's Logan Ferguson during Friday's Class AAA state duals quarterfinal. Schnedler won 6-2, but the Eagles lost 41-37. (Staff photo by Maurice Patton)

Pic

Summit coach Pete Miller looks a little concerned during the Spartans' Class AAA state duals quarterfinal matchup Friday with Cleveland. Summit lost 41-34, falling into consolation competition. (Staff photo by Maurice Patton)

Pic

Page 182-pounder Houston Tywater, wrestling on the Spring Hill mat, recorded a first-period pin of Greenbrier's Anthony Collins to clinch the Patriots' 37-36 win Saturday for third place in the Class A/AA state duals. (Staff photo by Maurice Patton)

Pic

Independence's Owen Schnedler tries to break down Tennessee's Logan Ferguson during Friday's Class AAA state duals quarterfinal. Schnedler won 6-2, but the Eagles lost 41-37. (Staff photo by Maurice Patton)

Sunday

Posted Feb 5, 2017

By MAURICE PATTON [email protected]

FRANKLIN - A couple of area teams were in action at this weekend's TSSAA State Dual Wrestling Tournament at the Williamson County Ag Expo.

And another program that has yet to get going was represented as well.

"I had some people tell me they had a lot of success on that mat," said Beau Moss, whose Spring Hill team will begin competition next season. "It made a lot of the right people happy. I hope it's a lucky mat."

Taking advantage of a discounted rate, the Raiders purchased a mat from Dollamur prior to the tournament. It was among the eight that were used for the two-day double-elimination event for Class A/AA, Class AAA and Division II.

In fact, neighboring Page wrestled its consolation finals match against Greenbrier on the Spring Hill mat and won 37-36 to finish third in the eight-team A/AA competition.

"I don't remember the exact dollar amount (saved), but we were able to order it and had the money and wanted to go ahead and get it," Moss said. "It looked good. I got up there Friday night and took a few pictures of it.

"It's a big step for our program. They also will use it in the individual state tournament (Feb. 16-18 at the Ag Expo). We will probably take it home that weekend, and we hope to start doing some conditioning on it almost immediately. It's a pretty exciting time."

In the 16-team Class AAA event, Summit and Independence had mirroring results. Each won their Friday opener, lost in quarterfinal action and was eliminated in their Saturday consolation match.

Summit, the Region 6-AAA titlist, opened with a 54-19 win against Gibbs - the first state duals victory in the program's history, after an 0-2 appearance in 2015.

"We came out and scored points, got pins right away," Spartans coach Pete Miller said. "We saw that senior leadership early."

The victory set up a quarterfinal clash with Cleveland, and the perennial title contending Blue Raiders rallied from an early 10-point deficit for a 41-34 decision to send Summit to the consolation bracket. There, the Spartans were eliminated 38-36 by Knoxville Halls with a controversial pin in the next-to-last match providing the decisive margin.

"We got reversed to our back, on the (boundary)," Miller said, referring to 220-pounder Tanner Choate. "It could have gone either way. It was an opinion call, and that was the call. We shouldn't have gone to our back. But hat's off to Halls. If we wrestle 10 times, we probably go 5-5, but this was their day."

Independence, the region runner-up, advanced In the championship bracket with a 51-21 win over Blackman - avenging a 51-18 loss to the Blaze in mid-December.

"Having our full team with our football players helped tremendously," Eagles coach Jared Grindstaff said regarding the turnaround. "This was the first time we've wrestled a complete dual all year."

After falling behind 12-6 through the opening three weight classes, Independence rallied behind linemen Ian Grau and Isaiah Demello. Grau won by decision at 195 and Demello had a first-period pin at 220, the latter giving the Eagles a 21-12 lead, with Blackman winning just two more weights the rest of the way.

The Eagles followed with a 41-37 loss to Tennessee, then were eliminated on Saturday in a 38-30 loss to Arlington as Demello - needing a pin to clinch a victory - lost 6-5 at 285 in the final match.

"We dug some holes for ourselves early in the match," Grindstaff said. "We tried to dig out a little bit, but our decision making did us in.

Bradley Central defeated Cleveland 35-24 for the AAA title, with Pigeon Forge winning 41-26 over Greeneville in the A/AA finals. Father Ryan won its second consecutive Division II crown, defeating McCallie 45-27.

Edited by Sommers

• 2 years later...

Amazing thread, I did not go through the whole thing, but one thing is still true from the first page. Shane Turner is still one of the Gold Standard for coaching in TN. The Baylor School is incredibly lucky to have them. They really have an all star staff at this time. I would love to see Shane utilized by whoever takes over the chairman position for USA wrestling in this state (Fingers crossed Mike Hatcher is interested).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

IMO, if you are going to rank the best high school wrestling coaches in Tennessee you must begin with who has won the most TEAM state championships.

I'm just going on current coaches for 2019-2020, but I have a good idea of who it'd be all time. I wonder which current coach has the most titles?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

I'm just going on current coaches for 2019-2020, but I have a good idea of who it'd be all time. I wonder which current coach has the most titles?

Current Coaches:

Pat Simpson (Father Ryan) 11 individual & 8 dual  Total 19

Ben Nelson (Baylor) 3? individual & 4? dual (had to guess as to when Jim Morgan retired)

Gordon Connell0 (McCallie) 7 individual & 6 dual  Total 13

Ben Smith (Bradley Central) should have several but with Steve retiring and then returning before retiring again it's fuzzy.  Does anyone know?

Cleveland ?

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Current Coaches:

Pat Simpson (Father Ryan) 11 individual & 8 dual  Total 19

Ben Nelson (Baylor) 3? individual & 4? dual (had to guess as to when Jim Morgan retired)

Gordon Connell0 (McCallie) 7 individual & 6 dual  Total 13

Ben Smith (Bradley Central) should have several but with Steve retiring and then returning before retiring again it's fuzzy.  Does anyone know?

Cleveland ?

Foreman has at least 4, maybe more. Are Connell and Simpson the only two that have titles before the split(s)?

Smith and Knox have 4 I think, but isn't Turner now the HC at Baylor?

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Foreman has at least 4, maybe more. Are Connell and Simpson the only two that have titles before the split(s)?

Smith and Knox have 4 I think, but isn't Turner now the HC at Baylor?

Yes, Pat Simpson and Gordon Connell are the only two with state titles before the split.  Not trying to knock anyone but Bradley did not win a team state championship until after the split.

• Upvote 1

So there can’t be any good coaches since the split?

What are the qualifications of a good coach?

A lot of the schools inherit very good kids once they get into HS.  

Good coaches build dominate programs from top to bottom and keep that success over long periods of time. 

Anyone involved in wrestling at the younger ages know which programs build programs, and which inherit them.

• Upvote 1