Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Gordon Connell also was coach at Hixson High School in Chattanooga, leading the Wildcats to the state title in 1973. I believe he left to become coach at MTSU, where he coached Pat Simpson. Connell produced many great wrestlers and state champions at Hixson, led by Randy Batten, who won three NCAA D-II national titles for UT-Chattanooga. As I recall, Batten was slated to wrestle in the D-I tourney his senior year but was hurt. (Anybody know for sure?) Of course, Connell has been great at McCallie.

I'm curious about Soddy-Daisy's Shane Turner. Where did he wrestle in high school and college? Any previous coaching experience before S-D?

I know Pat & Frank Simpson, and I believe Steve Henry are three of many other great coaches/supporters that came out of Connell's MTSU's Blue.

Batten may have lost a little focus his senior year at UTC.

Didn't Shane wrestle for Soddy in the eighties? Always with the SD program, I believe; unless he got involved some with wrestler854/Vol's kid(s) in the Harrison area.

Logsdon was as intense as they come with a focused/organized approach to getting the most of each of his wrestlers. What a tremendous understudy of Coach Turner Jackson. He augmented what Turner put together & more.

Coach Jim Morgan had a great influence on many in the 60's and 70's as he used to go around to other schools and teach wrestling moves, even on mattresses as mats. I believe he even coached for a short while at Red Bank Jr. High in the 60's. In '73 he had one of his wrestlers (Reeves) coach us at Senter School where I was introduced to the sport & UTC's 30 minute leg lifts. He most certainly is one of our pioneers in helping to build our great sport in the Chattanooga area, which became known as the "wrestling hub of the south."

G. P West would be a similar influence for the middle TN area (at three successful programs), as would the Simpson family's impact. Can't forget Overton's Ronnie Carter.

Edited by Sommers

All the Coaches mentioned are great and have done tremendous things for their programs and kids who went through them.

Coach Logsdon is now retired but accomplishment wise hes hard to top. A combined 13 state team titles (traditional and dual) in a 12 year span!

Its really hard to say though as Connel, Morgan, Logsdon, Miller, T. Jackson, Simpson, S. Turner, Henry etc. have all had enormous impact on Tennessee Wrestling and the personal development of hundreds of kids. You could make a solid case for ANY one of them.