Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

All the Coaches mentioned are great and have done tremendous things for their programs and kids who went through them.

Coach Logsdon is now retired but accomplishment wise hes hard to top. A combined 13 state team titles (traditional and dual) in a 12 year span!

Its really hard to say though as Connel, Morgan, Logsdon, Miller, T. Jackson, Simpson, S. Turner, Henry etc. have all had enormous impact on Tennessee Wrestling and the personal development of hundreds of kids. You could make a solid case for ANY one of them.

THE HEAD COACHES LISTED ARE ALL GREAT. I AM GLAD TO SEE SHANE TURNER GET SOME NOTICE, HE VOLUNTEERS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF TIME AND WILL COACH ANYONE. MARK LEEN IS ALSO A GREAT COACH WHO GIVES A LOT OF TIME TO AREA KIDS.

I know Pat & Frank Simpson, and I believe Steve Henry are three of many other great coaches/supporters that came out of Connell's MTSU's Blue.

Sommers: Curious about the "Blosser - Hixson" next to your name. That wouldn't be Mike Blosser, would it? Mike Blosser, who pinned his way through the state championships in 1982, winning state tourney best wrestler that year, was a buddy of mine back at Hixson. Mike Blosser could have kicked my butt in about 1/10th of a second had I ever made the foolish decision to fight him for whatever reason, but he was the nicest guy you would ever meet. A real gentleman and credit to the sport of wrestling. We actually used to hit tennis a lot and he was pretty good. I remember he went on to BYU to wrestle.

All the Coaches mentioned are great and have done tremendous things for their programs and kids who went through them.

Coach Logsdon is now retired but accomplishment wise hes hard to top. A combined 13 state team titles (traditional and dual) in a 12 year span!

Its really hard to say though as Connel, Morgan, Logsdon, Miller, T. Jackson, Simpson, S. Turner, Henry etc. have all had enormous impact on Tennessee Wrestling and the personal development of hundreds of kids. You could make a solid case for ANY one of them.

Steve did a great job when he was the head coach at Bradley but the fact remains that he would never give some specific schools the opportuntiy to wrestle Bradley. I know that he had personal feelings for not wanting to wrestle some schools (and that is his options as the head coach) but if you claim to be the best you have to compete against the best in your state. The same things are being said about Brandon, FL and their dual match win streak. They refuse to wrestle some teams in dual matches.

Steve did a great job when he was the head coach at Bradley but the fact remains that he would never give some specific schools the opportuntiy to wrestle Bradley. I know that he had personal feelings for not wanting to wrestle some schools (and that is his options as the head coach) but if you claim to be the best you have to compete against the best in your state. The same things are being said about Brandon, FL and their dual match win streak. They refuse to wrestle some teams in dual matches.

Old, tired and untrue argument. How many times in the last several years has Baylor and McCallie had multiple state champs in their 6 team tournament individually. Does that mean they arent the best? Marable Manly, Phillip Simpson etc etc. They didnt wrestle D1 Indiviuals. That DOES NOT diminish their accomplishments because they very well may have defeated the D1 s in thier weight class. SO with your logic, they werent truly state champs were they? Get over it Bradley won 13 Division 1 state championships over 12 years and against well over 100 public teams. Baylor and McCallie have won AND DESERVE CREDIT FOR winning multiple D2 team titles the last several years. If your logic follows then they DONT deserve those because they didnt beat Bradley,or Franklin or Soddy in the process. There are 2 Divisions in this state. The team and Individual State titles have gone to TWO people and TWO teams. So neither of them the past several years have had to "wrestle the best to be the best" have they? They really dont deserve to be hanging those plaques in the Halls of Baylor, McCallie and Bradley and Franklin and Soddy do they? They didnt wrestle ALL the good teams in the State that night they won did they. If you follow your line of thinking than those dont mean anything. Last years D1 and D2 state individuals arnt really true state champs because they didnt wrestle ALL the best wrestlers in their weights. So they "didnt wrestle the best to be the best" The only way to prove it in any given year is if all wrestlers and all teams wrestle everyone. But thats not reality. There are 6 divisions in Alabama. Seth Garvin didnt wrestle those in 5A and below so even though he was ranked in the top 5 at 152 in the country his senior year he cant claim to be the best in his state?

I mentioned in my original posts that all these coaches are great. Dont try an diminish one of thems accomplishments with an argument that doesent hold water. Other wise no one since the split could truly say they are champs now could they?

Like I said OlD TIRED and UNTRUE

Edited by Brickhousechick

Baylor and McCallie have won AND DESERVE CREDIT FOR winning multiple D2 team titles the last several years.

Chick - You might want to recheck your facts. If I'm not mistaken, the last Blue traditional team title was in 1993 prior to their stint on the death penalty while Baylor has taken home 5 titles since 1999.

Chick - You might want to recheck your facts. If I'm not mistaken, the last Blue traditional team title was in 1993 prior to their stint on the death penalty while Baylor has taken home 5 titles since 1999.

I was making a point. Logic would still hold then that Baylor didnt wrestle the D1 Champs or vice versa. Since 1999 they didnt "wrestle the best to be the best "if you want to buy that argument. I DONT buy that argument. Baylor Deserves to claim to be state champs those years the SAME as the D1 champs do. It doesent matter who happened to win that particular year. I was referring to Indiviual Multiple winners as well. Keller and Simpson were involved in 8 SPLIT individual state titles. Are they truly not state champs? They are both down in history as 4 timers who WERE the best of the best but this argument tarnishes their accomplishments as well if you buy in to it.

Chick - No way that your going to hook me into the argument concerning the Legman. You were attempting to make your point by lumping Baylor and McCallie together as multiple state title holders in D2 over the recent years. I was only correcting your misconception since McCallie has not won a traditional team title since 1993. You would have been correct by lumping Baylor and Father Ryan together. If you are asking me if every TN individual state champion title is tarnished since the split, then from my traditional viewpoint I would have to say yes. Would there be all these 3 and 4 time state champs without the split - no way. Does that deminish any of those individuals competing - absolutely not! TN has produced some of its best wrestlers ever over the past several years. The flaw in your original argument as I see it was that while the Seth Garvins of the world didn't compete against everyone to win their title, he did seek out every tough match possible during his season. I recall him bumping up a weight class to take on one of Bradley's finest at the challenge cup a couple of years back. Out of season, I've witnessed Bradley boys like Blackmon do the same. Most folks outside of Bear country have a hard time understanding the logic to not having those mega matches with Bay/McC and you will never change that. Why get so bent out of shape when the topic comes up? You guys are entitled to run your program any way you choose within the rules. Your program has been the benchmark of TN for the past 10 years so you must be doing a lot of things better then the rest of the field.

Chick - No way that your going to hook me into the argument concerning the Legman. You were attempting to make your point by lumping Baylor and McCallie together as multiple state title holders in D2 over the recent years. I was only correcting your misconception since McCallie has not won a traditional team title since 1993. You would have been correct by lumping Baylor and Father Ryan together. If you are asking me if every TN individual state champion title is tarnished since the split, then from my traditional viewpoint I would have to say yes. Would there be all these 3 and 4 time state champs without the split - no way. Does that deminish any of those individuals competing - absolutely not! TN has produced some of its best wrestlers ever over the past several years. The flaw in your original argument as I see it was that while the Seth Garvins of the world didn't compete against everyone to win their title, he did seek out every tough match possible during his season. I recall him bumping up a weight class to take on one of Bradley's finest at the challenge cup a couple of years back. Out of season, I've witnessed Bradley boys like Blackmon do the same. Most folks outside of Bear country have a hard time understanding the logic to not having those mega matches with Bay/McC and you will never change that. Why get so bent out of shape when the topic comes up? You guys are entitled to run your program any way you choose within the rules. Your program has been the benchmark of TN for the past 10 years so you must be doing a lot of things better then the rest of the field.

I should have said Ryan but I was thinking more of the logic than who. While you may be correct that Garvin sought out tough matches Im sure there were those that were missed, Im not bent out of shape wvol its just OLD. Its brought up every week or so and the comment was phrased such as to diminish logsdons accomplishments. Do you wvol feel he should be ranked with the coaches named? I mean he chose not to wrestle the private schools. Does that lower his accomplishments or status. Thats my point. Lumping the schools was not the point. The point is obvious. We hold 2 state tournaments with kids from 2 divisions that on any given night could possibly come out on top. But we crown two rather than one. They both deserve it. The reasons for the original split basically is at the foot of D2. Yet they seem to be the ones that dont want to give D1 credit.

I tried to praise everyone mentioned. I did not take a shot at anyone yet people just cant get by the fact that Bradley has been the benchmark as you put it. And yes Coach Logsdon and Bradley have done a whole lot right. Coach Morgan and the D2 coaches have done equally as well.

By the way, Bradley sought out plenty of talent over the years. They took the 2001 through 2004 teams to the Virgina Duals and faced teams who at the time were ranked nationally and fared quite well I might add. Just because they didnt seek Baylor, Ryan or McCallie specifically is no factor. They took on some teams in a few of those years that were better than any team in Tennessee.

I agree with you that the tournament would be tougher if it were not split but it is. As mentioned earlier at least it isnt diluted by even more divisions as are a great many states. The kids who win in either one are quality wrestlers as are the teams that win. So why cant we just give them both credit where credit is due from the wrestlers to all the great coaches instead of trying to think up a reason why someone isnt worthy of the praise with some cliche like"you got to wrestle the best to be the best" In reality that almost never happens even when you seek to achieve it.