Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Shane Turner, hands down with second place way behind. He runs more organized practices then any coach I know and has been at it for years. They are always open to anyone and when I've been involved, he refused compensation. His technique is rock solid. There are no selfserving reasons as he's not an educator/coach by profession and his son is probably just starting to crawl. When he started coaching little guys 15 years ago, him and Posey were a little extreme but he has since matured into a fine coach whom I would be comfortable sending my son with anywhere. I hope all you folks in Soddy realize how lucky you are and take care of him accordingly.

Walkenvol, I'm curious... you said that second place was far behind. Who would be some of your picks for second following Turner? Just curious...

The question is, who is the best coach in the state? This question does not set any standards by which a coach is to be judged. Some of the best coaches are the ones who keep programs going and improving against great odds, simply because they love wrestling, Mo Harrison, Benny Gray, and the Kingston coach fit this category. Those coaches who work hard to develop not only their program, but help other programs in their area, are in another group, Chris Vandergriff, Steve Henry, Jim Morgan, Bill Brimmer, Jeff Price, Tommy Bodon, and at least one who is no longer coaching, David Hollowell. The next group are those that turn out team and individual champions year after year, Jim Morgan, Steve Henry, Gordon Connell, Turner Jackson, Steve Logsden, Al Miller, Pat Simpson, Frank Simpson, Jeff Jordan, and John Mullens. I am sure that there folks from all parts of the state, that I have left out, who fit in one or more of the above categories.

The best coach is in the eyes of the beholder and the standards he sets. Wrestling coaches are unique and those who are truly dedicated to the sport should be considered the best.

I have never met Shane Turner, but he is a product of the Soddy Daisy program, and I am sure he would fit my standards of being among the best.

Good Luck to everyone as the season begins to pick up steam.

Dan Dugger

John Mullin of Notre Dame is an old friend, too. His brother, Chris, was a good one for the Irish. As was David.

Where does Shane Turner coach? Soddy-Daisy? I thought Steve Henry was coach at Soddy-Daisy. Is Shane an assistant?

The question is, who is the best coach in the state? This question does not set any standards by which a coach is to be judged. Some of the best coaches are the ones who keep programs going and improving against great odds, simply because they love wrestling, Mo Harrison, Benny Gray, and the Kingston coach fit this category. Those coaches who work hard to develop not only their program, but help other programs in their area, are in another group, Chris Vandergriff, Steve Henry, Jim Morgan, Bill Brimmer, Jeff Price, Tommy Bodon, and at least one who is no longer coaching, David Hollowell. The next group are those that turn out team and individual champions year after year, Jim Morgan, Steve Henry, Gordon Connell, Turner Jackson, Steve Logsden, Al Miller, Pat Simpson, Frank Simpson, Jeff Jordan, and John Mullens. I am sure that there folks from all parts of the state, that I have left out, who fit in one or more of the above categories.

The best coach is in the eyes of the beholder and the standards he sets. Wrestling coaches are unique and those who are truly dedicated to the sport should be considered the best.

I have never met Shane Turner, but he is a product of the Soddy Daisy program, and I am sure he would fit my standards of being among the best.

Good Luck to everyone as the season begins to pick up steam.

Dan Dugger

I may not be as well versed as some other people here but I believe that Middle Tennessee has some great coaches. Coach Simpson of MBA has a good program running right now in DII, but I'd have to go with Coach Josh Peck of Ravenwood and Coach Blair of Brentwood have some great programs going.

Blair already has a track record going right now and he has had a state placer in Holliman to help Brentwood High be known

But some people overlook Peck, last year he took Ravenwood to a 33-2 dual record losing only to Franklin from a barely .500 win percentage. He only has two state placers right now, but look foreward to seeing much more from Ravenwood in the years to come, also last year Peck got Coach of the Year in Region 5.

Chick,

Thank you for the reasoned discussion. I agree with the majority of your points.

Einstein knew math, but that knowledge alone didn’t make him a great teacher. A great teacher has a passion to transfer their knowledge to the student and can inspire the student to want to learn. In sport, that knowledge transfer typically takes place during practice. All coaches hold in season practices – that’s what they’re paid to do. The better coaches are great communicators and stay current with the sport’s evolving techniques and training methods. IMHO, the best coaches are the ones who give this same effort out of season when they’re not being hired to do so. Shane Turner does more of this then anyone the walkenvol knows. Wendel Weathers is working hard to create opportunities also.

Certainly, a coach can do negative things that tarnish his efforts. You ask if I feel that the Legman should be ranked with the coaches named? I have no clue. I’ve never attended one of his practices and I don’t know the extent of his out of season efforts. When I occasionally run into him, he’s never been anything less then cordial to me. There have been some outstanding wrestlers graduate from the Bradley program under his watch and the Bear nation appear to be very happy with him so as stated before - he must of done a whole lot of things right. Based on his quotes in the papers and on this board, I would venture a guess that he would consider it an insult to be ranked with some of those coaches named and based on what I know I would agree with him.

You also asked if not wrestling the private schools lowers his status – from my perspective yes. I understand that he has some specific beefs with 2 of those programs and took a firm stance but from my perspective the ramifications of those actions were not to the benefit of his wrestlers, wrestling in the Chattanooga area in general, and lastly his program’s reputation. Like you, I don’t agree with the folks who paint that stance as “dodging the competition” and the examples of other tough opponents on the schedule validate that point. Those dual meets would have been memories that your sons would have carried a lifetime and it’s a shame that the men involved can’t find the common ground to make them happen. The privates will line up for the opportunity to dual Bradley, but the Bradley staff chose not to allow those events to happen. The D1/D2 split is a completely different issue and no wrestling coach can put that humpty dumpty back together again.

The one Chick point with which I don’t agree is that “people just can’t get by the fact that Bradley has been the benchmark”. The folks I know feel just the opposite and respect the Bear program for setting the bar. The single issue they don’t respect is the refusal to dual Bay/McC. Surely you can admit that those events would be enormously more exciting/competitive then mopping the mat with the Rhea and Daltons (no offense intended) of the world?

Chick,

Thank you for the reasoned discussion. I agree with the majority of your points.

Einstein knew math, but that knowledge alone didn’t make him a great teacher. A great teacher has a passion to transfer their knowledge to the student and can inspire the student to want to learn. In sport, that knowledge transfer typically takes place during practice. All coaches hold in season practices – that’s what they’re paid to do. The better coaches are great communicators and stay current with the sport’s evolving techniques and training methods. IMHO, the best coaches are the ones who give this same effort out of season when they’re not being hired to do so. Shane Turner does more of this then anyone the walkenvol knows. Wendel Weathers is working hard to create opportunities also.

Certainly, a coach can do negative things that tarnish his efforts. You ask if I feel that the Legman should be ranked with the coaches named? I have no clue. I’ve never attended one of his practices and I don’t know the extent of his out of season efforts. When I occasionally run into him, he’s never been anything less then cordial to me. There have been some outstanding wrestlers graduate from the Bradley program under his watch and the Bear nation appear to be very happy with him so as stated before - he must of done a whole lot of things right. Based on his quotes in the papers and on this board, I would venture a guess that he would consider it an insult to be ranked with some of those coaches named and based on what I know I would agree with him.

You also asked if not wrestling the private schools lowers his status – from my perspective yes. I understand that he has some specific beefs with 2 of those programs and took a firm stance but from my perspective the ramifications of those actions were not to the benefit of his wrestlers, wrestling in the Chattanooga area in general, and lastly his program’s reputation. Like you, I don’t agree with the folks who paint that stance as “dodging the competition” and the examples of other tough opponents on the schedule validate that point. Those dual meets would have been memories that your sons would have carried a lifetime and it’s a shame that the men involved can’t find the common ground to make them happen. The privates will line up for the opportunity to dual Bradley, but the Bradley staff chose not to allow those events to happen. The D1/D2 split is a completely different issue and no wrestling coach can put that humpty dumpty back together again.

The one Chick point with which I don’t agree is that “people just can’t get by the fact that Bradley has been the benchmark”. The folks I know feel just the opposite and respect the Bear program for setting the bar. The single issue they don’t respect is the refusal to dual Bay/McC. Surely you can admit that those events would be enormously more exciting/competitive then mopping the mat with the Rhea and Daltons (no offense intended) of the world?

I think it would be great to see the best go up against the best. This year Baylor is the best. Last year it was close. The year before it was Baylor by 15 points+ over anyone in the state. Edit: I meant Bradley... before I get my gut laid on the alter to be eaten by ferocious BEARS.

Now, Vol, who is the second best coach?

Edited by Sommers

While I appeciate the comment from Jackson, I am far from being in the classification with a Logsdon, Turner, Morgan, Price, etc. I, and my assistant, give our time because we love the sport and working with the kids, and would bet that this is the same with most other coaches. Most of us don't go to practice for 3-4 hours daily, travel across the state for matches, spend time away from our own family's, etc., to be labeled as the "best" coach in the state. We do what we do, because we love it.

Coaches are extensions of these kids parents. Parents are "graded" by others as to how their kids carry themselves in public. Whether that be during elementary, middle, high school, or as adults. Yes, the gage in coaching is wins and losses, but what about helping produce fine, upstanding, citizens with good morals and character? It has been said many times that what a wrestler learns in this sport will carry him through a lot of situations he will find during his adult life. Coaches that place those lessons as a priority over wins and losses get my vote.

A great man once said that "when I die, I hope people will remember the good that I have done, not the championships that I have won", Muhammad Ali.

This is why most of us coach!

Chick,

Einstein knew math, but that knowledge alone didn’t make him a great teacher. A great teacher has a passion to transfer their knowledge to the student and can inspire the student to want to learn. In sport, that knowledge transfer typically takes place during practice. All coaches hold in season practices – that’s what they’re paid to do. The better coaches are great communicators and stay current with the sport’s evolving techniques and training methods. IMHO, the best coaches are the ones who give this same effort out of season when they’re not being hired to do so.

If the powers at these programs be would make the Dual between Bradley, McCallie and Baylor happen you would have folks from all over this state and a few others coming to watch. I would drive a couple of hours to see that dual. I would take a larger gym than any of the teams have to host this event.

If you cannot do it for the sake of great wrestling do it for the sake of $greed$ and split the gate three ways. The Chick or Mr. Chick needs to stop having a cow every time the bears program is not put in the light as the Flagship of TN wrestling.

We all know it's a great program but it's not perfect. "Truth is in the eye of the beholder"

When Bradley decides to wrestling 20 miles down the road and beats the big D-II's then there will be know discussion about it. Untill then it's going to keep coming up. Live with it being brought up every 10 post or get the Bear nation to get over it and just wrestle Mc and Baylor.

That was a fantastic point about great coaches Wvol. There are coaches out there who need to learn that. In addition, I noticed many young coaches over the last years as the head coach in smaller programs. I think it's great that they are giving their time to these programs but I wonder who is mentoring these young men. To continue the growth of TN Wrestling some of the great coaches that some of the posters have mentioned need to reach out and offer to mentor these young coaches or at least give them a number to call.

Edited by RamRod