JV Basketball Players

triplethreat32

Im from Chattanooga and I've seen alot of good jv players around here like John Burch for Brainerd and Ej Sivels from Red Bank....but they aren't even dressing out for their Varsity squads....My question is why aren't some of the better players on Junior Varsity getting a shot on Varsity???Is the transition that big of a difference for them not to even have a chance to compeit on a higher level?

Who is the best JV basketball player???

Edited by triplethreat32

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kid should NEVER play both freshman ball and JV. The two teams play on different nights. When you throw in two freshman games per week, two JV games per week, practice the rest of the week, and adjusting to high school academics, that is too much for a fourteen or fifteen year old student athlete. If he is talented, let him play JV, and/or varsity(same night) but keep him away from the freshman team.

Edited by coacherdude

• 4 weeks later...

I ask myself that question all the time. Sullivan Central has some of the best sophmores in the tri-cities and they never get to take a step on the court. Dobyns-Bennett has a very talented freshman that doesnt even play Jv or Varsity. I beleive its a little thing called "POLITICS"

actually it's probably a little thing called humbleness.

let the coaches do what they think is best.

geeezzz.

Some coaches are proponents of playing older players that have "earned their dues". Other coaches believe that they need to play the best players regardless of class. They must be ready to listen to the older players parents whine when the younger kids play. With more and more kids playing AAU, the younger players are often ready to play up to that level of competition. Some coaches don't feel their younger players are mentally, much less physically, ready to step up to the varsity level. As a coach the biggest difference I see in the JV-Varsity debate is the level of defense is much higher at the varsity level. As a rule, Freshmen and most Sopomores haven't had to face the defensive pressure applied in a varsity game. If you have younger players or kids, I would highly recommend getting them involved in a good AAU program. They face much better than the standard high school competition and it gets them ready to perform at the higher level. It is much more physical and they learn to handle it when the high school season rolls around.

A kid should NEVER play both freshman ball and JV. The two teams play on different nights. When you throw in two freshman games per week, two JV games per week, practice the rest of the week, and adjusting to high school academics, that is too much for a fourteen or fifteen year old student athlete. If he is talented, let him play JV, and/or varsity(same night) but keep him away from the freshman team.

Cumberland Co. has a 2 Freshmen that play all 3. We usually dont play freshmen on V but they're the first freshmen since Danny Cumby to play varsity. They seem to handle it just fine. They also have weights and are passing all their classes. It takes a special kid but it does happen.

You are amazing, are you not a player from a team that is ranked in the top ten in the state? And you wrote a post about yourself and it is about not playing on varsity? Seriously, you must either hate the team's success (jealousy) or the coach. Your earlier posts were about how good your team is and now you want to gripe about pt. Come on really!

You are amazing, are you not a player from a team that is ranked in the top ten in the state? And you wrote a post about yourself and it is about not playing on varsity? Seriously, you must either hate the team's success (jealousy) or the coach. Your earlier posts were about how good your team is and now you want to gripe about pt. Come on really!

Check the date....This post was made on December 27, 2005 before all of the big games we won were even played to make me be so called "jealous".If i was jealous I would have stop talking about Red Bank a long time ago and even before that I still wasnt getting any playing time...And i think i know who you are Mr.History Teacher :ph34r:

ok i dont know how you can say central has "some of the best sophomores in the tri-cities." I watched the JV central-DB game tonight and didnt see anyone from central that impressed me excpet for kaiko. On the other hand DB had 3 legitiment players #12 lane dukart, #3 tremell mcgue, and #24 reed king...these 3 are definately some of the best in the tri-cites...respond

You are right,that was Central's worst game of the year though.Earlier in the year,Central beat Db's JV when Flack and Giacometti played JV,but after how good King played in that game he went in as about the 8th or 9th man that night in the varsity game. You won't be seeing much of Kaiko anymore either,I'm pretty sure he might be thrown off,who knows what might happen then because sometimes Central is caught just watching him score. But seriously,why isn't Sylvester on JV and even varsity. Does him and the coaches not get along or something,because he could start on Varsity or at least be the 6th man.

Im from Chattanooga and I've seen alot of good jv players around here like John Burch for Brainerd and Ej Sivels from Red Bank....but they aren't even dressing out for their Varsity squads....My question is why aren't some of the better players on Junior Varsity getting a shot on Varsity???Is the transition that big of a difference for them not to even have a chance to compeit on a higher level?

Who is the best JV basketball player???

I LOVE it when fas and players think they know more than the coaches. The coaches are there EVERY day at practice, and they have been through many years of coachings and I PROMISE, they know the best combo's to put on the floor. They DO want to WIN. Get over it. Prove it in PRACTICE!

Edited by randymc