Science Hill Classic

brock20

Well I am sure everyone running the tourney got what they wanted SH vs. Brentwood. This years Arby's has become a flat out joke. Anyone that thinks that this tourney is about seeing the best teams go againist each other is crazy. The Arby's is now about getting Science Hill as far as they can go because they draw the biggest crowd.

Now before I get bombarded with the "Quit being jealous of SH" and "Give it a rest" comments, think to yourself for a second if you are one of the local teams. SH loses to South and pulls a huge comeback againist Central, they could possibly be the 3 or 4th best team in the Big 9 conference. But somehow when the Arby's rolls around they turn into a national powerhouse. How is this??!? DB, who has been playing the best ball in the area by far, loses to a team by 25 and then somehow SH can beat them this team the next night.

I agree with one of Waco's earlier statements. They are getting too many big teams to come to the Arby's and the local teams cannot compete, and the local teams fans are what come to the games. If you wanna let SH advance far in the tourney then fine, put them up against teams they should beat instead of teams they shouldn't even be in the game with.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont believe its science hill tourney, ive always known that teams get better as the season progresses. The game of basketball is a strange game. let me explain, last week in ncaa basketball pitt beat auburn by 37 points, auburn then turned around and beat temple by 31. Just what ur post sorta says SH beats Roanoke by 1 one night and Db plays that same team and gets beat by 30. Does that make SH a 30 point better team, probably not. It can happen to anyone. Just because the hilltoppers got beat by south then came back and beat central doesnt really mean a lot. and with db getting beat soundly against roakne. I dont follow the big 9 as close as i want, bc im from middle tennessee but one thing i do know is that science hill does pretty well at the end of the season, and i think in the game of basketball thats what counts.

I have to disagree with you guys on this one. Over the history of the Arbys Science Hill has made it to the final four more than any other local team. This year DB and Science Hill play the same opponents, the Toppers win, and the Indians lose. Its that simple. This year Twin Springs and DB should of stayed home and eat ham all week. Not saying their terrible teams. But when you enter a tournment like this you should be better prepared. They flat out embarassed themselves.

I think if you look around the country at all these big tournaments, even the ones that get teams from all over the country still include several local teams. Part of the reason is to draw the local crowds in. It also gets some great experience for the locals against good competition.

Science Hill upsetting SWAC will only make it a better tournament for local fans.

I think if you look around the country at all these big tournaments, even the ones that get teams from all over the country still include several local teams. Part of the reason is to draw the local crowds in. It also gets some great experience for the locals against good competition.

Science Hill upsetting SWAC will only make it a better tournament for local fans.

if the tournament purpose is to make it good for local fans then thats fine....but I believe it should be more about fairness and letting the best team on that night win. That kind of homecooking doesn't help the image of the Arby's

I didn't see the game, so I can't really comment on that. I agree that fairness should be most important.

Well I am sure everyone running the tourney got what they wanted SH vs. Brentwood. This years Arby's has become a flat out joke. Anyone that thinks that this tourney is about seeing the best teams go againist each other is crazy. The Arby's is now about getting Science Hill as far as they can go because they draw the biggest crowd.

Now before I get bombarded with the "Quit being jealous of SH" and "Give it a rest" comments, think to yourself for a second if you are one of the local teams. SH loses to South and pulls a huge comeback againist Central, they could possibly be the 3 or 4th best team in the Big 9 conference. But somehow when the Arby's rolls around they turn into a national powerhouse. How is this??!? DB, who has been playing the best ball in the area by far, loses to a team by 25 and then somehow SH can beat them this team the next night.

I agree with one of Waco's earlier statements. They are getting too many big teams to come to the Arby's and the local teams cannot compete, and the local teams fans are what come to the games. If you wanna let SH advance far in the tourney then fine, put them up against teams they should beat instead of teams they shouldn't even be in the game with.

The answer to why Science Hill always performs well in the Arby’s Classic is pretty simple if you ask me. The Toppers excel when they play against opponents that allow them to play a transitional game. Most of the teams that come to the Arby’s are loaded with athletic players and feel that that’s their strong point also. That plays right into the hands of the Toppers. Here in N.E.T we play at a slower pace because we don’t have the luxury of having real athletic teams. This forces the Toppers to have to set up and run their half court offence which is not their strong point. That’s why they don’t look as good against local competition.

And brock20…the purpose of the Arby’s Classic isn’t to bring in a bunch of “DOOR MAT” teams just for the locals to wipe their feet on. WHAT WOULD THAT PROVE? If you lived in Atl, GA and you won free tickets to a game but you had to decide which game you wanted to see… would you pick (A. Hawks vs Grizzles) or (B. Lakers vs Heat)!!!! It’s the big time players and teams that bring the big crowns and if a local team gets in were they fit in…that’s just gravy!!! Science Hill played in the Greenville Classic in November and I didn’t see the fire marshal locken the doors there?!! These teams and these players that coach Burns brings in are what makes this arguably the best high school tournament in the Country.

Playing against these top teams also give the local players, coaches, and parents a taste of what the real world is like…just incase one of the local teams should be fortunate enough to advance to the State Tournament and out of our little village we’ve built here in NET.

And this is just a ludicrous statement that desirves no response.

“If you wanna let SH advance far in the tourney then fine, put them up against teams they should beat instead of teams they shouldn't even be in the game with.”

WHAT A CLOWN!!! ;):unsure::(

You don't even make any sense. Science Hill won fair and square. DB got killed fair and square. SHHS played and bad game against South, and the coaching was not that great either. SHHS will be number one by the end of the season. I'll put money on that one. DB went into over-time against EAST. I think all of you jealous, sorry ###### losers need to shut up and get over SHHS being the best team in the conference.