Thoughts on McMinn Central

sumzdad

I've been keeping an eye on this after I heard about it a couple weeks ago. The last postings got me hot enough to register. These are my thoughts and I don't really care if anyone who reads this agrees or not and I'm not going to argue with anybody, but I can tell you that many parents share my same feelings.

It is going to take a great deal of work to move this program forward. No knock on Coach Williams, but we're not where we need to be. As a parent, I know that things are really sloppy in the program right now. Things that should have been wrapped up at the end of the season haven't been and our facilities aren't being maintained to the highest standards. This is an example of the leadership that our current assistants have exhibited.

I want a coach who is a strong leader in the classroom and on the field. Davis doesn't have as much classroom experience as Derrick and Gossett. I'd like to compare resumes. Maybe the DPA would print them and let us all know what we're getting. Can anyone get copies?

As for outside of the program, I agree with Jack Slayton. The coach is going to have to be a very active figure in the community. It's impossible to build a program starting with freshmen. It has to start earlier. As a community member and parent I know that Derrick has a majority of community support. As mentioned in a few posts, Davis probably won't stick around long. A number of parents and players have been very vocal about not wanting Gossett. My kid doesn't want to play for him.

So I am one of those parents who will move my kid to another school if somebody within the program gets this job. As for the other two, I prefer Derrick but Davis could work too.

A lot of us are also getting very impatient. We do need to make a good decision, but we are losing valuable time to rebuild this program. Instead of moving forward, we are stalled out.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you guys might of guessed I am a Davis supporter, with that being said I would like to know your reasoning as to why he wouldn't stick around long. Do you know him? Have you talked to him about why he wants this job? And another question, why doesn't he have the classroom experience, oh ya, maybe its because he wanted to try and be the best coach he could be and pursued a dream of being a college coach. I guess what a lot of people don't understand is that in order to get to the top of your profession you have to take steps, Davis has taken those steps, sure he has moved around and been at a lot of different places, but isn't that what we should want, someone who has been there and seen it rather than being at one place his whole career. I mean are we looking for someone who is going to give us the best chance of building a program or someone who is going just stay here and be happy for the rest of their lives. I'm not saying Gossett or Derrick wouldn't or couldn't do a good job, I'm just saying we should quit worrying about whether or not someone is going to stay or leave, keep them happy and they will stay. I'm not trying to cause confrontation just making my case. Oh ya, and as far as Jack Slayton,

I've been keeping an eye on this after I heard about it a couple weeks ago. The last postings got me hot enough to register. These are my thoughts and I don't really care if anyone who reads this agrees or not and I'm not going to argue with anybody, but I can tell you that many parents share my same feelings.

It is going to take a great deal of work to move this program forward. No knock on Coach Williams, but we're not where we need to be. As a parent, I know that things are really sloppy in the program right now. Things that should have been wrapped up at the end of the season haven't been and our facilities aren't being maintained to the highest standards. This is an example of the leadership that our current assistants have exhibited.

I want a coach who is a strong leader in the classroom and on the field. Davis doesn't have as much classroom experience as Derrick and Gossett. I'd like to compare resumes. Maybe the DPA would print them and let us all know what we're getting. Can anyone get copies?

As for outside of the program, I agree with Jack Slayton. The coach is going to have to be a very active figure in the community. It's impossible to build a program starting with freshmen. It has to start earlier. As a community member and parent I know that Derrick has a majority of community support. As mentioned in a few posts, Davis probably won't stick around long. A number of parents and players have been very vocal about not wanting Gossett. My kid doesn't want to play for him.

So I am one of those parents who will move my kid to another school if somebody within the program gets this job. As for the other two, I prefer Derrick but Davis could work too.

A lot of us are also getting very impatient. We do need to make a good decision, but we are losing valuable time to rebuild this program. Instead of moving forward, we are stalled out.

Central has all the talent they need to be competitive, just not enough coaching to win. Players out of position, poor play calling, things coaches need to do to be successful aren't beig done at McMinn Central. If Williams didn't leave he should have been removed. I am in no way, shape, or form by any means in the least bit at all a "baby blue" supporter or fan, but it doesn't take one to tell you that whoever comes in better be ready for a challenge. this program is in serious need. I don't care if they've improved, they still have half a hill (if not further) to climb, and with most teams in they're region being hit hard by graduation, now is the time to make changes to get that program where it needs to be. If they miss out n the playoffs this year then it will be sometime before they see post season action.

As you guys might of guessed I am a Davis supporter, with that being said I would like to know your reasoning as to why he wouldn't stick around long. Do you know him? Have you talked to him about why he wants this job? And another question, why doesn't he have the classroom experience, oh ya, maybe its because he wanted to try and be the best coach he could be and pursued a dream of being a college coach. I guess what a lot of people don't understand is that in order to get to the top of your profession you have to take steps, Davis has taken those steps, sure he has moved around and been at a lot of different places, but isn't that what we should want, someone who has been there and seen it rather than being at one place his whole career. I mean are we looking for someone who is going to give us the best chance of building a program or someone who is going just stay here and be happy for the rest of their lives. I'm not saying Gossett or Derrick wouldn't or couldn't do a good job, I'm just saying we should quit worrying about whether or not someone is going to stay or leave, keep them happy and they will stay. I'm not trying to cause confrontation just making my case. Oh ya, and as far as Jack Slayton,

Please. I think we all understand that it takes alot to pursue a dream. Why don't I think he'll stay? History tends to repeat itself. If you look at his history, it's clear that Davis's dream is to be a college coach. Last time I checked, Central wasn't a college. Maybe his dreams changed. Sounds like you'd know, but I can tell from the other posts that Davis <gridiron13> doesn't want any personal stuff out there, so I guess we won't.

None of these guys has been at one place his whole career and that reference is upsetting. Gossett is local. We know what he can do and we know how people think of him. We've heard all about Davis's accomplishments thanks to these posts. Have you taken the time to talk to parents in Georgia or look at stats? I have. Derrick has consistently put up strong numbers no matter whether he was offensive or defensive coordinator. He uses the same kids that the other side of the ball does and makes them perform. The parents and kids that I've talked to are desperate not to lose him <as a coach or teacher> but flat out said that they'd be glad because he deserves better than what he's got. Theyre surprised they've held onto him for this long. I have to tell you that I'm not completely put off by somebody who keeps plugging away to try to make something better. Maybe what we should want is somebody who has taken the time and put in the effort to try to build something. I'd like to have somebody with that kind of determination leading my kid.

Anyway, I don't want to sound confrontational either, just blunt and factual. And the fact is, no matter what the reason, he has less classroom experience than Gossett or Derrick. The other fact is that the official word is out-Gossett isn't even in the running. It's between Davis and Derrick. I think either choice would be good. They've both done very different but very admirable things with their careers and they BOTH deserve the fanfare.

Central has all the talent they need to be competitive, just not enough coaching to win. Players out of position, poor play calling, things coaches need to do to be successful aren't beig done at McMinn Central. If Williams didn't leave he should have been removed. I am in no way, shape, or form by any means in the least bit at all a "baby blue" supporter or fan, but it doesn't take one to tell you that whoever comes in better be ready for a challenge. this program is in serious need. I don't care if they've improved, they still have half a hill (if not further) to climb, and with most teams in they're region being hit hard by graduation, now is the time to make changes to get that program where it needs to be. If they miss out n the playoffs this year then it will be sometime before they see post season action.

Your absolutely right. We're in desperate need of organization and good coaching. We need a coach who will build from the community-the rec, the middle school, the elementary school. We need someone soon too. These kids need some rules and need to know what to be doing in Feb, Mar, Apr, etc, to get ready for next year.

Your absolutely right. We're in desperate need of organization and good coaching. We need a coach who will build from the community-the rec, the middle school, the elementary school. We need someone soon too. These kids need some rules and need to know what to be doing in Feb, Mar, Apr, etc, to get ready for next year.

I am new to this, (coacht.com)but have been keeping up with all the hipe about the upcoming coaching positon. I am from Central and know both Derrick and Davis, I was actually on the team with both of them in '94. I personally would have to go with Derrick, what no one has mentioned during all this hoop-la, is that Derrick was the one who talked Davis and a few others on the team to actually go out and play their senior year. They had all ridiculed Derrick and the rest of the team for the past season (1-9). But that didn't stop Derrick from pushing them to spring practice and not to mention the gym @ 5am every morning prior to, and during the season. He was more than the quarterback of the "1994 Cinderella Team", he was an inspiration and even a coach to most of us. I have to agree with "sumzdad" even with the losing seasons in GA, he has stood by his team and on both sides of the ball has "built a mountian out of anthill." Futher more, anyone who knows of Coach Derrick, knows that the offense is his game, but Marty Wild took that from him and gave him the defense after Derrick had built the offense up, now he is the defensive coordinator and the defense seems to be the better of the two. That just goes to show what kind of leadership Derrick is having to deal with in GA. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for Derrick and for the kids @ Central. Derrick is a very goal oriented and stern guy, I know that if he comes back to Central it will not be for a few years, he will be here to stay and he will be here to lead this program to "State" year after year, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will do it!!

As for Davis, he too has had years in the coaching field, but I do have to question his ability to hang around and tuff it out through the hard times. Don't get me wrong I Davis is a genuine guy, and I like him a lot, but his record doesn't show us that he is determined to stay. Also, I think that it is great for goal in life is to be a college football coach, but Central is not a college and it will never be one. Plus Davis has actully only been in the high school coaching program half as much as Derrick, due to the fact that every other year or so, he decides to go chase his dream again. I feel like he is afraid of failure in the college career, and you can't be student coach forever, so he is tring to slide back into highschool coaching. I guess I sound a little negative towards Davis, but I just think that it is tacky that everytime Derrick puts in for a position then Davis has to run out and put in for as well. As far as I know Derrick and Davis are still friends are probably laughing about all of this, but if I were Davis I think I would know when to back down and let the let the better man in. Besides, Davis has coached at Central once before and didn't seem to intrested in hanging around for a head coaching postition then, why does he feel the need to come back now.

Derrick you have my support 100% and I know the support of a lot others!!!!!

I just hope for the sake of the football program and the kids that Freeman makes the right choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by gocats#1

Will central have the talent to get into the playoffs next year? Beat Meigs? Be competitive with Polk or ND? My picks for next year are East Ridge and Meigs for next year because graduation hit ND, Polk, and Howard pretty hard. Whats the talent level going to be like at McMinn Central next year? Especially up front. I would think that all the new coach will have to work with will be Nick Davis and a young QB.

• 2 weeks later...

listen,

you might have played, but the team was actually the 93 team, not 94. Davis has been around, but he knows more about different situations than a guy at a losing program would.

what do you learn from a loser? how to lose.

personally i like both guys, but you gotta give davis more respect than you're showin him. he was a college assistant at a 1A school, he was a student assistant on an SEC championship team. regardless of jumping around, he has succeeded. by the way, did you know that the coach at your favorite college has had several different jobs before they got any head coaching position? and by the time their 30 probably have been at 5 or 6 schools. there is nothing wrong with AMBITION.

you are all wrong about him moving off. he is done with college ball because of the constant time in office and pressure. high school is his game. he is a Dcoord. at a very competitive Ga team.

and by the way, derrick was the quarterback of that team but didn't play in three games cuz he was injured. they were more of a running team too.

davis had like 9 picks that year.

and whoever says anything about "classroom experience" (sumzdad) must not realize that PE and/or Driver's Ed don't take much to pull off.

I am new to this, (coacht.com)but have been keeping up with all the hipe about the upcoming coaching positon. I am from Central and know both Derrick and Davis, I was actually on the team with both of them in '94. I personally would have to go with Derrick, what no one has mentioned during all this hoop-la, is that Derrick was the one who talked Davis and a few others on the team to actually go out and play their senior year. They had all ridiculed Derrick and the rest of the team for the past season (1-9). But that didn't stop Derrick from pushing them to spring practice and not to mention the gym @ 5am every morning prior to, and during the season. He was more than the quarterback of the "1994 Cinderella Team", he was an inspiration and even a coach to most of us. I have to agree with "sumzdad" even with the losing seasons in GA, he has stood by his team and on both sides of the ball has "built a mountian out of anthill." Futher more, anyone who knows of Coach Derrick, knows that the offense is his game, but Marty Wild took that from him and gave him the defense after Derrick had built the offense up, now he is the defensive coordinator and the defense seems to be the better of the two. That just goes to show what kind of leadership Derrick is having to deal with in GA. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for Derrick and for the kids @ Central. Derrick is a very goal oriented and stern guy, I know that if he comes back to Central it will not be for a few years, he will be here to stay and he will be here to lead this program to "State" year after year, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will do it!!

As for Davis, he too has had years in the coaching field, but I do have to question his ability to hang around and tuff it out through the hard times. Don't get me wrong I Davis is a genuine guy, and I like him a lot, but his record doesn't show us that he is determined to stay. Also, I think that it is great for goal in life is to be a college football coach, but Central is not a college and it will never be one. Plus Davis has actully only been in the high school coaching program half as much as Derrick, due to the fact that every other year or so, he decides to go chase his dream again. I feel like he is afraid of failure in the college career, and you can't be student coach forever, so he is tring to slide back into highschool coaching. I guess I sound a little negative towards Davis, but I just think that it is tacky that everytime Derrick puts in for a position then Davis has to run out and put in for as well. As far as I know Derrick and Davis are still friends are probably laughing about all of this, but if I were Davis I think I would know when to back down and let the let the better man in. Besides, Davis has coached at Central once before and didn't seem to intrested in hanging around for a head coaching postition then, why does he feel the need to come back now.

Derrick you have my support 100% and I know the support of a lot others!!!!!

I just hope for the sake of the football program and the kids that Freeman makes the right choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played with both Coach Derrik and Coach Gossett, and I coached with Coach Gossett for a couple of years. To this day I consider them two good friends, and both of them will do a great job at MC. What MC should try to do is get both of them on staff. The program would only excel with pride, hard work, and probably more kids wanting to play.