What is happening at Bearden?

captain

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Ron Gray would take a big paycut if he left his teaching position at OR to take the head job at Bearden. Would Knox Co. hire a head coach and allow him to stay in OR as a teacher? Nope. Does he want to be head coach enough to take the paycut?

Honestly, I seriously doubt the money matters to him. He is about the kids. Why couldn't he teach at OR and coach at Bearden? He did it last year.

Honestly, I seriously doubt the money matters to him. He is about the kids. Why couldn't he teach at OR and coach at Bearden? He did it last year.

That was part of my question, would Knox Co. allow him to remain at OR and elevate him to the head coaching position? I don't think it would be a good idea personally. I think the head man needs to be at the school. I wouldn't think that most coaches would want it any other way.

The administration refuses to discuss this with any of the players, including us (now) former players. They are dodging the support the whole team has shown Coach Gray, including a meeting of more than 100 current and former players in his support. They insisted on steering away form the topic, instead claiming "there is currently no teaching spot available" and "we'd rather haev a good teacher than a good coach". This is ridiculous people. That is why we have been meciocre in the past. The administration refuses to do what is right ot get our program where it needs to be. That would have included firing Maynard last year. There is no one to put the blame on but themselves if they son't do things right this time.

If you're reading this and you are from Bearden or have any interest in supporting our program or Coach Ron Gray, call the administration and let them hear your voice!! Its time to quit settling for mediocrity at Bearden.

I get a kick out of administrators saying they would rather have a good teacher that a coach. If that was the case at bearden Jack Tate would have been the head Baseball Coach years ago. Great guy, great teacher, loves bearden but the administration wouldn't make him head baseball coach. Let Blevins leave in Basketball and see if they don't hire a top notch basketball coach. They need to hire a football coach who can manage a class room. Not a Rhodes Scholar. Bearden administration who do you think your fooling!

Oskie,

Not only would Coach Gray leave Oak Ridge High, he would be a GREAT addition to the Wellness/PE or Social Studies program at Bearden. He's definitely the kind of teacher/coach that any administrator, present company included, would and should welcome with open arms.

Don't know the man. My point was whoever gets the job needs to teach at the school. If he wants the job he may have to take a paycut.

I don't know that you have a clue of what you're talking about. Can you site some Knox County rule that says a coach must teach at the school he coaches? Can you site a rule that says a coach must teach in the Knox County school system to coach there? Does the rule you envision only apply to head coaches? Opinions and prefrences should be stated as such and not made to appear as factual information. Are you privledged to have the pay scale and records of both school systems? It is hilarious that people get on here and act like experts and don't have a clue.

Ole Dad

Don't know the man. My point was whoever gets the job needs to teach at the school. If he wants the job he may have to take a paycut.

I don't know that you have a clue of what you're talking about. Can you site some Knox County rule that says a coach must teach at the school he coaches? Can you site a rule that says a coach must teach in the Knox County school system to coach there? Does the rule you envision only apply to head coaches? Opinions and prefrences should be stated as such and not made to appear as factual information. Are you privledged to have the pay scale and records of both school systems? It is hilarious that people get on here and act like experts and don't have a clue.

Ole Dad

I don't think Oskie was saying that it was a rule, but rather, to most people in the coaching ranks, it makes more sense to have your Head Football Coach in the same school that his football team is. There are many things that happen each day that require immediate action to be taken by the Head Football Coach. If he is at another school, who is going to make the decision? People in the media and other members of the coaching community(including college recruiters) try and communicate with a Head Football Coach thru the High School? Try and explain to a parent that you missed an opportunity to get their son a scholarship because you were not there to talk to the college coach because you worked at another school. And finally, how can you sell your program to your players and community as being the best, when it is not even good enough for you to work at?

As far as the pay scales go, anyone, not just the "privileged", can get that information on the School system's web site. Both are posted for Knox County and Oak Ridge. 10 years experience means approx. $7,000 more dollars in Oak Ridge.

Ole Dad, I don't know if he can but I can.

Knox County School Board Procedures Handbook (For Administrators found online)

Human Resources Section---Non Faculty Athletic coaches

3. The Football, Basketball, Softball, and Track coach must be an employee of Knox County Schools. (not a direct quote)

From my understanding the coach from OR would not have to work at Bearden to be hired but he would have to teach in Knox County

Ole Dad

Ole Dad,

I know that I was expressing an opinion. I "think" it is better if the head coach is in the school. Pay scales are public record, free for anyone to view, so no I'm not priveleged. As far as assistants are concerned, I also "think" it is better for them to be at the school, but not as necessary as it would be for the head coach. I have no idea what Knox. County's policy is on this. As far as acting like an expert, it's evident that I know more than you do. Does that make me an expert, no.