2006 TNT State Tournament (Girls)

ptguard12

Hillcrest chooses to play in the TMSAA, which is ruled by the TSSAA. I would say no more then 40% of all middle/elementary schools in Tennessee actually choose to participate with the TMSAA. There are many reasons for this:

1. There is a fee at the beginning of the year that each school much pay.

2. The number of games you play is limited.

3. You can only practice so many times a week and during the summer.

4. Only 6th, 7th, and 8th graders may participate. Kids in grades lower then that are not allowed to play.

These are just some of the reasons why many intermediate schools in Tennessee do not participate with the TMSAA. Those teams that do no participate usually choose to participate in the TNT or the James C. Haile or both. If I'm not mistaken, you send your record in and if the tournament committee decides that you are good enough based on your record, then you are invited to come play. I do believe that one of the two tournaments does charge an entry fee or application fee of some kind.

What the TNT and James C. Haile does that the TMSAA does not, is that it brings in good teams from all over the state. The TMSAA only allows teams to play in their region of Tennessee and the tournaments only go as far as, what I believe they call a Sectional. It would be nice if the TSSAA could find a way to do a middle school state tournament, much like the high school state tournament, but with the large number of intermediate schools, I just don't know if it is all that possible. Also, in a post on here last year, someone said that a questionnaire was sent out to all elementary and middle school principles about the possibility of doing a system much like the one we have at the high school level. However, the response by principles was overwhelmingly in favor of NOT doing that.

I haven't done the research, but does anyone know of a state where they have a middle school system much like their high school system, where a state tournament takes place and a champion is crowned?

Thanks for the info.....My son plays for Ridgemont Jr High in the Obion Co. School System..As far as post season goes,they play in a county tourney at the end of the year with South Fulton,Hillcrest(Troy)Lake Road and Black Oak,then go onto a district tourney and the only teams added to those 5 teams are Paris Inman and Martin Middle...It just seems a little redundant..Then they go off to a sectional or regional or whatever in Jackson.....I know our girl's team about three years ago was supposed to play in the TNT,but had a conflict with the sectional tourney and couldn't play two games on the same day.....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea what their record is? How do they do against Dresden and Medina this year? I had no idea they had a girl that was 6'2". From what I know, that is the biggest girl on any team in the AA bracket.

They played Dresden 5 times counting the jamboree and the christmas tournament. They beat Dresden 2x. I believe they were 1-1 v. Medina going into their tournament. They also play each other on sat. in the milan/medina invitational tournament.

Ptguard12's TNT Predictions

1A

Monteagle over Lobelville - A rematch of last year's semifinal game in which Lobelville won by 1. This year, however, Monteagle holds the edge with the returning of 4 starters from last year while Lobelville returns only their leading scorer from the tournament last year.

2A

Allons over Winner of Linden/Rutherford - The best game in this bracket could be the semi-final matchup between Linden and Rutherford as both teams boast solid starting lineups. The winner should give Allons all they want in the finals.

3A

Rickman over Red Boiling Springs - 3 of the top 4 teams in this group are in the lower part of the bracket in Red Boiling Springs, McEwen, and Pickett County. Red Boiling Springs would have dominated this tournament with Leonard but they can expect some trouble without her. However, the defending 2A champions should get through to the finals where they will have to overcome Rickman in the Championship Game.

4A

University School of Jackson over Forrest - The undefeated private school girls from Jackson will coast to the final where they will get a test from the 2-time defending champions from Chapel Hill. However, the Forrest Lady Rockets just don't seem to have the same kind of firepower they have had in previous years, so I don't see them keeping up with a very good USJ team.

5A

White County over Meigs County - There is no reason to believe that White County won't once again win this division with their up-tempo offense and smothering defense. Meigs County should present a good test to the defending champions, that is if they can get by their semi-final opponent.