matt mccarty a great

Guest cattledontcare

Guest wrestlingmachine

Yeah McCarty was good, but I would not say great. Casey Brewster from Overton beat him alot throughout high school. Brewster also beat Kosier, Ward, Sweeton, Keller, Yost, and also beat Simpson. He only messed up his State Finals match his senior year. Before that he crushed Keller at the state duals. But yes McCarty is a very good wrestler.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cornpop

Matt is still at MS he is locked in behind two seniors, but looks to see more mat time this year. If you think he was an animal on the mat. You should have seen him in the practice room without a ref telling him to stop, or a coach to throw in the towel!

• 4 months later...

Sorry Bullet you are incorrect. Mcarty is starting at 149 now. He was pushing for the starting spot, and the 149 for MSU is out. Mcarty beat the #3 ranked kid from Ohio State at an open tournament in a strong fashion.

You can debate all day who is better. Simpson is one heck of a talent. But wrestle in the Big 10 or Big 12 and then come talk to me. There is no comparison in overall talent, Mcarty will start the next two years and be a force in the Big 10. It is ashamed that we will never see a mathup with Mcarty,Keller or Simpson. Well maybe Keller or Simpson possibly.So when you start comparing accomplishments compare apples to apples.

It's good to be wrong on this one but I'm not sure I am. Nadolsky was the starter the last time MSU wrestled on 12-4. He is ranked 8th by WIN Magazine and AWN, 11th by The Wrestling Mall and 10th by TheMat.com. Did Nadolsky get hurt? McCarty did beat the kid from Ohio St in the Michigan St. Open but he is not ranked. You may be thinking of Jake Percival from Ohio U. He is ranked around 4th or 5th. In regard to future match-ups, I hope none of the Tennessee kids ever have to wrestle each other. Once they move on to college they are no longer Clarksville, Bradley, Red Bank or MBA wrestlers. They are Tennessee wrestlers and I want them all to go undefeated. On the same note, Phillip Simpson beat the Ohio St kid (Daughtery) at the Penn St. Open in November.

I could not agree with you more about McCarty. I did not know Simpson that well, but, I did know McCarty. Before some people comment on him they ought to know there facts. Matt McCarty in his Senior year went 52/0 and that includes the Individual State Tournment. How many kids can say that for an outgoing senior year? He is a great young man and because his pride and enthusium he will go far in all of his future endevors. I sure wish him well. ;)

I watched Matt wrestle as a freshman when I was a senior in high school. That kid was tough as nails!!! He always knew what it took to win in tough situations. Up until his senior year he always wrestled in a tough weight. His senior year was a walk-through because everyone that thought they were tough ran from him and either bumped up or down.

I have to argue that his junior year in the state semis he wrestled Ben Smith from Bradley. He went up 4-2 on Smith and sat on his lead. Smith literally chased him around the mat shooting and pounding on him. After a stalling point McCarty still won that one 4-3. To take nothing away from Matt because all of us who has ever been in a situation like that before, we all know that sometimes it is best to stall your way out. Not to mention he wrestled brilliantly again beating Richie from Soddy in the final 2-0!

I also have seen Matt wrestle a few times in college, and I have to say, I do believe he will be a force in the next few years. He has kicked but wrestling even as high as 157! It isn't so far fetched to think that he will wrestle Phil Simpson though. Simpson is probably going to end his career as a 149 pounder and what weight will McCarty be wretling again??? Ha Ha Ha I do think that that will be a great match and the only way I will hate to see it is if they are wrestling in a win to place match at NCAAs!

I was at the Midlands and saw McCarty wrestle. He is good and may well develop into a very successful college wrestler.

But to say, "Unless you compete in the Big Ten don't talk" is a somewhat foolish way to try to belittle Phillip's accomplishments. Phillip only had TWO unavenged losses last year, to the top ranked wrestler in Division I and to MN.

The EIWA is a tough conference in itself. Not the Big Ten but right behind the Big 10 and Big 12. Second, Phillip finished 37-8 as a TRUE freshman last year, missing PLACING at the NCAAs on a questionable non-call at the last second against a Big 10 senior returning AA. So, I think Phillip will continue to do just fine against the Big 10, as other posters have indicated.

Matt has not excelled in open tournaments, YET, with his best finish I believe is 5th at the Michigan State Open or E Mich Open, I don't remember which. This may be outdated, so someone please update.

I don't want to knock either young man; both are doing extremely well and are having more success than I had at that level. However, I think that not acknowledging Phillip as the superior wrestler of the state in the past decade or longer is a bit myopic.

I also think Keller and Blackmon are in the same league.

Anyway, McCarty and Simpson are different wrestlers. McCarty does wrestle more of a punishing style, while Phillip, quite physical himself, is one of the most technical wrestlers in the NCAA right now. Other than Jantzen, he is the premier pinner in college, IMO.

Most important, let's hope that both guys maintain championship ATTITUDES and find a bit of luck if they need that, too. If I had to bet, I'd bet Phillip has a better chance of high AA finishes, but let's hope both continue to represent themselves and TN well.