Knox Central

sportsfreak2307

Knox Central has won 3 straight games against Powell, Cambell County, and Cocke County. This after losing numerous amounts of games. All the these games have been close but Central unlike earlier in the year has been able to pull away with a victory. They have Oak Ridge coming up on Friday @ Oak Ridge. This will be a true test of whether or not they are really playing good or just having some luck. Last game Central was ahead on Oak Ridge the whole game but let them score around 30 something points in the 4th quarter. We will see Friday how it ends up.

Also Justin Wilson is up for Prep Xtra player of the week and is leading with Jordan Dixon right behind him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knox Central has won 3 straight games against Powell, Cambell County, and Cocke County. This after losing numerous amounts of games. All the these games have been close but Central unlike earlier in the year has been able to pull away with a victory. They have Oak Ridge coming up on Friday @ Oak Ridge. This will be a true test of whether or not they are really playing good or just having some luck. Last game Central was ahead on Oak Ridge the whole game but let them score around 30 something points in the 4th quarter. We will see Friday how it ends up.

Also Justin Wilson is up for Prep Xtra player of the week and is leading with Jordan Dixon right behind him.

Winning close games is the sign of a well-coached team.

Know Nothing:

I disagree with your statement about "winning close games is the sign of a well-coached team." Players making plays is more of a factor than coaching.......FREETHROWS, TURNOVERS, ETC. Don't get me wrong, coaching plays a part in close games, but it is not the #1 reason a team wins or loses close games.

If winning close games is a sign of good coaching then losing close games is a sign of poor coaching. That being said you prove my point because Central has lost far more close games than win. By the way they really beat some power houses. A weak AA team, the weakest District 3 AAA team, and a short handed Powell team. Well rest assured come Friday Lambert will bring is talented yet poorly prepare team to O.R. and get hammered.

No matter how ou slice it Central is the worst coached basketball team since last years Tennessee team.

bigcatt2, this is kinda off subject but I have some questions for you. You seem very insightful and know what you are talking about. You are active on a lot of topics and give good opinions. If you dont mind me asking, what is your basketball background? Played in high school, college or coached anywhere. Sorry for the random questions but I just like to "pick" basketball minds and see what had led to their opinions.

Also, after reading several of your posts, I take it you dont like Coach Lambert at Central?

bigcatt2, this is kinda off subject but I have some questions for you. You seem very insightful and know what you are talking about. You are active on a lot of topics and give good opinions. If you dont mind me asking, what is your basketball background? Played in high school, college or coached anywhere. Sorry for the random questions but I just like to "pick" basketball minds and see what had led to their opinions.

Also, after reading several of your posts, I take it you dont like Coach Lambert at Central?

Played and coached. Coached on the High School, College and Jr. High Level.

As far as liking Mr. Lambert. This has nothing to do with liking someone. He may be a good person and is probably a likeable guy. This is about Coaching and he has no business Coaching on the High School Level. He is way out of his league.

Before you ask; Why am I not coaching? Far to old and I spend part of my winter in Fla. since my retirement.

Edited by bigcatt2

I agree with dewayne robinson that bigcatt2 has a lot of good insight on many different topics. I love the fact that bigcatt2 can voice his opinion. Now I will give mine. I know that Coach Lambert not only cares for his players and is a tireless worker, but also an awesome coach. He does have alot of solid high school players that have improved beyond belief over the course of 3 years. Who helped them improve? Who worked with them? Who made himself available all summer to allow them to shoot and improve their skills? Lambert and Tummell is the answer. Where would these seniors be talent wise if they had not worked so hard in the off-season. Ask any of them if Coach Lambert and Tummell are a big reason why they have improved the last 3 years. The answer would be a resounding yes.

As far as having his team prepared for an opponent. I dare say that no other coach has a team more prepared than Coach Lambert and his staff. Again, ask any Central player if they know ahead of time what their opponent is going to do both from a team perspective and specifics of the players they will be guarding. They are prepared. Ask them. If they will answer honestly it would be a resounding YES!!!

Games that are close are won and lost by players. Coaches put players into position to be successful. Players, not coaches, make shots, turnovers, block out, defend, and decide to play hard. If losing close games means the coaching is rotten then Coach Fulmer should be fired and probably should have never been hired. Fulmer's bunch in '04 made plays and won the close games, in '05 they lost fumbles and didn't make plays and lost the close games. Did Fulmer become an idiot in one year? Ask those who know college basketball if Coach Bray at Notre Dame knows his hoops. He does and has been snake bit all year by close games. Players make plays. I am not comparing Lambert to Fulmer or Bray, but he knows his basketball and several people know it - you would be amazed at the number of coaches who call him to get scouting reports on other teams. They all know that he is prepared and knows what is going on. bigcatt2, what part of Florida do you spend part of your winter in? You seem to have been around this entire winter for basketball.?! Again, I generally like your insights to local hoops and look forward to reading your future game reports as the post-season is right around the corner.

I agree with dewayne robinson that bigcatt2 has a lot of good insight on many different topics. I love the fact that bigcatt2 can voice his opinion. Now I will give mine. I know that Coach Lambert not only cares for his players and is a tireless worker, but also an awesome coach. He does have alot of solid high school players that have improved beyond belief over the course of 3 years. Who helped them improve? Who worked with them? Who made himself available all summer to allow them to shoot and improve their skills? Lambert and Tummell is the answer. Where would these seniors be talent wise if they had not worked so hard in the off-season. Ask any of them if Coach Lambert and Tummell are a big reason why they have improved the last 3 years. The answer would be a resounding yes.

As far as having his team prepared for an opponent. I dare say that no other coach has a team more prepared than Coach Lambert and his staff. Again, ask any Central player if they know ahead of time what their opponent is going to do both from a team perspective and specifics of the players they will be guarding. They are prepared. Ask them. If they will answer honestly it would be a resounding YES!!!

Games that are close are won and lost by players. Coaches put players into position to be successful. Players, not coaches, make shots, turnovers, block out, defend, and decide to play hard. If losing close games means the coaching is rotten then Coach Fulmer should be fired and probably should have never been hired. Fulmer's bunch in '04 made plays and won the close games, in '05 they lost fumbles and didn't make plays and lost the close games. Did Fulmer become an idiot in one year? Ask those who know college basketball if Coach Bray at Notre Dame knows his hoops. He does and has been snake bit all year by close games. Players make plays. I am not comparing Lambert to Fulmer or Bray, but he knows his basketball and several people know it - you would be amazed at the number of coaches who call him to get scouting reports on other teams. They all know that he is prepared and knows what is going on. bigcatt2, what part of Florida do you spend part of your winter in? You seem to have been around this entire winter for basketball.?! Again, I generally like your insights to local hoops and look forward to reading your future game reports as the post-season is right around the corner.

I agree that coaches don't ultimately determine who wins the close games. It comes down to execution! There are some players who can screw up the play you just spent an entire timeout drawing up along with the other things you mentioned above.

Having coached Central's big three in AAU this past summer (and 4 of 5 if you counted Lee Smith), I would strongly DISAGREE with the awesome coach statement. From an individual standpoint, these guys were some of the most fundamentally unprepared players I've coached in 15 years of coaching AAU. To me, that is truly a reflection of your coach. Not to knock any of those guys because I care tremendously for them, but they were clueless defensively, had poor offensive fundamentals, and played offense like they were straight out of an AND1 video. Justin Wilson actually quit because he didn't feel like he could keep up. Ben Williamson and Brandon McGill improved tremendously over the summer and I know it wasn't from what they were learning at Central. To see the improvement from our first tournament to the last was incredible. My take on the Central situation is that they have significantly UNDERACHEIVED given the talent level they have. They've got 3 seniors that have the potential to play at the next level and have a horrible record. If Lambert was such as good coach, how could he allow O.R. to score 36 points in the 4th quarter? Don't put all that blame on the players! He may be a tireless worker and great guy but so is the guy on the assembly line that never misses a days work and works hard but that doesn't make him CEO material. Who are the guys you think have improved beyond belief? My standards must be a little different than yours. Let me know please!

JD is a good coach. Central's talent is way overrated. They have decent talent, not great. They certainly haven't overachieved, but they haven't underachieved either. When I saw them play I thought they were average. They don't have the talent of OR, Clinton, Halls, Powell or West - key district opponents. They aren't far away talent-wise. I think he's done a good job with what he has. When is the last time a Central team was good, anyway? Nobody wins there. As far as the players not being fundamentally sound, a coach can only do so much. Most players that are fundamentally sound are the ones who put in the most time on their own.

JD is a good coach. Central's talent is way overrated. They have decent talent, not great. They certainly haven't overachieved, but they haven't underachieved either. When I saw them play I thought they were average. They don't have the talent of OR, Clinton, Halls, Powell or West - key district opponents. They aren't far away talent-wise. I think he's done a good job with what he has. When is the last time a Central team was good, anyway? Nobody wins there. As far as the players not being fundamentally sound, a coach can only do so much. Most players that are fundamentally sound are the ones who put in the most time on their own.

Talent isn't overrated. Ben Williamson has committed to Birmingham-Southern. Several schools are interested in Brandon McGill and Justin Wilson certainly merits at least JC interest. Chase Snyder has put up 25+ in some games. Take Cameron Sharp out of the Halls mix and Central is far more talented. Powell only has 3 players. Clinton basically has 2 guards. How do you explain beating Farragut in the Chop House finals and getting blown out a couple of weeks later. They have been beaten by Catholic 3 straight times and they are far more talented at the 2-5 positions. They've been beaten by a very weak Karns team. I agree that O.R. is far better BUT Central led in the 4th quarter prior to giving up 36 points to end the last quarter and that is inexcusable! McGill and Williamson are as good as any 2 players in the district. They played against the top players from around the south this summer and played well. I wonder about their motivation having watched them play with Central this year. A large part of coaching is having your team ready to play both physically and mentally! The players hearts aren't in it and I think alot of that stems from the coach. What coach would let their best player voluntarily sit out the Powell game without a good conversation with him? He certainly does some unconventional things from a player's point of view. If they were supposedly working so hard in the open gyms over the past few summers, I would question whether or not they were getting any instruction during that time. It certainly doesn't show. Those guys were definately there when the hard work was going on. Just being there doesn't get it, you've got to have an idea of where you're trying to go!

Diet Coke aka Lambert's brother in Kentucky-

1 Good to see that you finally learned to type.

2 Figured you would be a Moonshine drinker not Diet Coke.

3 It is Brey not Bray--no one named Lambert can spell.

4 If anyone calls Central for a scouting report--They do the opposite.

IrishBB if the post player was not good enough to play for your team

must have been a strong group.

Talent isn't overrated. Ben Williamson has committed to Birmingham-Southern. Several schools are interested in Brandon McGill and Justin Wilson certainly merits at least JC interest. Chase Snyder has put up 25+ in some games. Take Cameron Sharp out of the Halls mix and Central is far more talented. Powell only has 3 players. Clinton basically has 2 guards. How do you explain beating Farragut in the Chop House finals and getting blown out a couple of weeks later. They have been beaten by Catholic 3 straight times and they are far more talented at the 2-5 positions. They've been beaten by a very weak Karns team. I agree that O.R. is far better BUT Central led in the 4th quarter prior to giving up 36 points to end the last quarter and that is inexcusable! McGill and Williamson are as good as any 2 players in the district. They played against the top players from around the south this summer and played well. I wonder about their motivation having watched them play with Central this year. A large part of coaching is having your team ready to play both physically and mentally! The players hearts aren't in it and I think alot of that stems from the coach. What coach would let their best player voluntarily sit out the Powell game without a good conversation with him? He certainly does some unconventional things from a player's point of view. If they were supposedly working so hard in the open gyms over the past few summers, I would question whether or not they were getting any instruction during that time. It certainly doesn't show. Those guys were definately there when the hard work was going on. Just being there doesn't get it, you've got to have an idea of where you're trying to go!

Powell has more than three players.