7AA First team

stuntwoman

Actually Macon County has had several good boys basketball teams. They made the state tournament a couple of times in the 80's. In 95-96 the Tigers were nearly unstoppable, as they made it to the sub-state where they lost to Niki Arinze and the state champs MLK Royals. In fact, the Tigers could be the last 7AA team to win a region championship, as they won the 4AA championship in 98-99 before losing in the sectionals to Marcus Haislip and Marshall County. My history on other 7AA teams isn't great, but the Tigers very well could be the last team from this way to take the region crown...could someone verify that? i am really not sure. But yes they have had successful teams in the past. As for MVP, it's a no brainer. Madison Square Garden said it all, yall have three players that could have been voted MVP. Which means take one away and you are still top 2 in the district and prolly still first. Take Stinson away from Macon County and we might have three wins. It's not a knock on the other players, but really is the truth. I on the other hand think Livingston could make a run at the state tournament. They aren't athletic enough to win the state championship, but people said that during football season too! I could definitely see them taking the runner-up spot in the region tournament, but only time will tell! Good-Luck to all 7AA teams!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i can say is that stinson deserved the MVP honors over anybody else in the district since it is not the MVT but the MVP so it doesnt really matter what your teams record is . Just leave Stinson alone the kid won the award fair and square and there is no doubt that he is the Mvp of this district and if you dont believe it just go talk to your teams headcoach when u see him the next time and ask him who the best player in the district is and he will tell you its Colby Stinson .

I hope Macon does good in the District Tournament .

good luck tigers

and go STINSON!

Yeah that terrible Coach Welch from Macon County, he took up for one of his players when he thought they might have got jobbed. The nerve of him actually placing a phone call to take up for the kid. You guys amaze me. Thats part of Coach Welch's job is to take up for his players when something like that happens. Any coach would have done it. You guys are just mad that you didn't get to steal an MVP award. Now I'm not bashing Cates nor am I jealous of his accomplishments. His performance against Notre Dame in the playoffs this past football season was one of the better performances I've seen on the highschool level. But really guys lets call a spade a spade, he is a fine basketball player no doubt, but MVP puhleeze!! And wtaylor was right on about his history lesson on Macon County basketball. They were the last team to win the region back in 99 when we were in 7AA before they fell to Marshall County one game away from state tournament. Plus they've had substate and state appearances before and a Mr. Basketball winner in Joey Tuck and a pleothra of other players that have went on to play college basketball. Now attack us again guys when you don't know what you are talking about. We had a talent slump there for a few years coupled with going to District 8AA where none of the teams in 7AA would even make the region tournament. Guys just get over it, you can't compete overall with 8AA, even without MLK and Lipscomb which has hurt the overall depth of the district, LA should win their first game but no more.

Yeah that terrible Coach Welch from Macon County, he took up for one of his players when he thought they might have got jobbed. The nerve of him actually placing a phone call to take up for the kid. You guys amaze me. Thats part of Coach Welch's job is to take up for his players when something like that happens. Any coach would have done it. You guys are just mad that you didn't get to steal an MVP award. Now I'm not bashing Cates nor am I jealous of his accomplishments. His performance against Notre Dame in the playoffs this past football season was one of the better performances I've seen on the highschool level. But really guys lets call a spade a spade, he is a fine basketball player no doubt, but MVP puhleeze!! And wtaylor was right on about his history lesson on Macon County basketball. They were the last team to win the region back in 99 when we were in 7AA before they fell to Marshall County one game away from state tournament. Plus they've had substate and state appearances before and a Mr. Basketball winner in Joey Tuck and a pleothra of other players that have went on to play college basketball. Now attack us again guys when you don't know what you are talking about. We had a talent slump there for a few years coupled with going to District 8AA where none of the teams in 7AA would even make the region tournament. Guys just get over it, you can't compete overall with 8AA, even without MLK and Lipscomb which has hurt the overall depth of the district, LA should win their first game but no more.

Sounds like you have issues.. I dont think anyone thinks it is wrong for a coach to take up for a player... And like I said earlier, the LA Wildcats could care less about individual awards. They play as a team and win as a team. I also think that you are mistaken about LA not winning more than one game in the Region playoffs.. That probably just shows your knowledge of the sport. I am not saying that they will win, but they are very capable and are likely to win more than one game. You dont need to get so uptight about what some over-excited fans say on here.

Just take a break, lean back, and watch the Wildcats roll in the Post-Season!

I went to the girls 7AA District Tournament last night and was looking at 7AA All District Teams booklet. It says that the coach of the year for district 7AA was coach Melton of LA and that Wilson Cates from LA and Stinson from Macon Co. got co-mvps. Is this correct or are the books wrong?

Those books are wrong...of coarse any one from Cookeville is living high on Cates...he is a good player, but when it comes to basketball he is second in the district to Stinson...how could u pick someone who isnt even the best player on their team(behind Mathews and Monday) and who only averages close to 10 points a game compared to Stinson who averages over 18 a game and whos team was picked to finish last in the district, but because he put them on his back and carried them they finsihed 4th beating every team in the district atleast once besides Livingston...not taking anything away from Cates, because I know that he is the fuel to the fire for Livingston, but so is Stinson for Macon with a little bit better individual stats...the coaches from each of the teams in the district are the ones that voted on the MVP, so I think Stinson won the award out-right...

Those books are wrong...of coarse any one from Cookeville is living high on Cates...he is a good player, but when it comes to basketball he is second in the district to Stinson...how could u pick someone who isnt even the best player on their team(behind Mathews and Monday) and who only averages close to 10 points a game compared to Stinson who averages over 18 a game and whos team was picked to finish last in the district, but because he put them on his back and carried them they finsihed 4th beating every team in the district atleast once besides Livingston...not taking anything away from Cates, because I know that he is the fuel to the fire for Livingston, but so is Stinson for Macon with a little bit better individual stats...the coaches from each of the teams in the district are the ones that voted on the MVP, so I think Stinson won the award out-right...

It should have been clear who the coach of the year was. Not even close. Shame on all the coaches that think a team that was picked 2nd finishes under .500 with a weak schedule should get COY when LA was by far the cream of the crop. District Tourney will sort things out. Back room dealings and politics aside. Sort it out on the court.

well i cant wait till tuesday after dekalb beats upperman then beats LA in the championship, shut all yall LA fans up, why dont you all cry a little more

coach martin will prove hes coach of the year material

You better worry about the BEES and quit looking ahead. You all will be lucky to

beat them and if your lucky enough there's no way you beat LA or Macon.

Tennisguy in case you didn't know LA lost to Lipscomb earlier in the year down there by 3 so yes we can and will play with Greenbrier Whitehouse and whoever.

Edited by Rocking Chair

You better worry about the BEES and quit looking ahead. You all will be lucky to

Tennisguy in case you didn't know LA lost to Lipscomb earlier in the year down there by 3 so yes we can and will play with Greenbrier Whitehouse and whoever.

:thumb: Good Post...Tennisguy are you being serious??...LA has already beat Station Camp at the East Litature Christmas Tourney...they are the second place team in District 8-AA... :angry:

Stinson averages 18 per game which is really good, but is it not true that Justin Monday leads the district in rebounds, blocks, and points per game. If so, seems like those stats would speak for theirself, and he should be the MVP, but like someone said earlier, politics obviously ran everything at this meeting, but will not happen at the district tourney. Good luck Cats, you should win the awards that are most important, and those are called championships.

Right now it's looking like LA will play Goodpasture or White House in the first round bc Greenbrier beat Goodpasture tonight in the semi-finals.

:blink: Good Post...Tennisguy are you being serious??...LA has already beat Station Camp at the East Litature Christmas Tourney...they are the second place team in District 8-AA... :P

And that's just it, the top 4 teams in this district are all very even so Station Camp being 2nd place doesn't necessarily mean they are better than 3rd or 4th place or worse than 1st place...you never know what's gonna happen in this district b/c they are all good, but I do think LA is a good team and will definitely be good competition for whoever they play in the region from 8AA. It's gonna be hard only sending 2 of these 5 teams(LA,GB,GP,SC,WH) from this region to substate (thats considering Macon or Upperman or whoever doesn't pull the upset in the first round of the region).