Miss Basketball- All Classes

CoachT

Hey folks, It's really easy to pick these players for Miss basketball that play on some pretty good teams. The person chosen for Miss or Mr. Basketball should be more than that. For isnstance, no one can argue that Cait Mcmahan is a great player but look at her Heritage team. They keep right on winning without her. Angela Puelo goes down and her team knocks off Heritage without her. It's not that any of these players aren't as good as people say but it's a lot easier to be good when you are surrounded with other good players. Most of the names mentioned for miss basketball play on some darn good teams surrounded by really good talent. I'm not saying that players like Bianca Thomas, Brandi Brown, Kee Kee Stewart, and others aren't talented or deserving players but most if not all play on some talented teams. There are some trully talented and gifted players that aren't from notable programs. My choice is junior Dawn Evans from <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=76&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Clarksville-Northeast</a>. She is the leader of a young inexperienced team that lost 4 starters and the sixth man from a team that went 33-5 a year ago and led them to a 22-7 record so far. She leads or is among the top 5 in almost every major statistical category as a point gaurd, 23.3 ppg, 7 assist pg, 3.5 steals pg, 4 reb pg, and 67 three pointers made/ 2.6 pg. Quite an accomplishment when everyone's game plan is to stop you. She has excelled against some of the best players in the country at Mike White's Adidas Showcase Tournament and The Adidas Top Ten All Amrican Camp. A well kept secret (except for the colleges) and a great player.

rodney,

Dawn is as good as they come and then some. You don't have to sell her on here because the people that matter already have her on their radar, but I feel where you are coming from when you log on and see players who may not be the player she is getting all the conversation.I think you would feel better if the people who are always telling you how good she is would step up and put it in print so the whole state would know. When other people are doing the talking that's when you know you getting the proper respect.You think her AAU coaches and parents don't log on here?Sure they do...want their screen names :unsure:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the official Miss Basketball thread. You have until Friday the 17th to influence my vote. Negative comments are not needed.

Here is the long and the short of it. Who you vote for will be decided by what you personally look for. The way I see it there are a couple of categories that you would/should consider; 1. stats, 2. team impact, 3. overall game ability.

If stats is your personal cup of tea, that class A would have to be Danielle Rector, yes Temple is an average team without any other offensive threat. This makes being the statewide scoring leader even more impressive, because other teams know they only have to guard her, instead of 2 or 3 players. Danielle faces double and triple team defense in every game. She averages a double double as well as leading the area (and probably state) in scoring, she is also a leading rebounder. If stats is your thing you should also look at her turnovers, very low for someone who handles the ball as much as she does.

If Team Impact is what you look for, Then Class A would have to be Danielle Rector. She has started since she was an 8th grader, not JUST started but has been a HUGE impact on the team in 8th grade. In 9th and 10th grade she was the team. I don't mean any disrespect to the girls that played with her (especially Angela Kemp) but she without a doubt carried the team. This year while she has had a couple of good additions to the team, she is still the "go to" player. When the press is strong, she brings the ball up; when they are down 2 or 3 points at the end of the game, Danielle gets the ball. She leads the team... not just in stats, but as a personal leader.

Finally if overall ability is your guide, then class A would have to be Danielle Rector. She plays point guard, shooting guard, wing, power forward, and post. I know Tennessee has a lot of very talented players. But when you look at the overall picture, choosing anyone else would be an injustice.

Bianca Thomas -Chester County, hands-down is one of the best in the south, not just West TN. her stats speak for themselves (had to do a little checking):

27 points/game....67% field goal....46% 3-pt field goal....77% free throw....9 rebounds/game....4 assists/game....4-5 steals/game....2 blocked shots/game

Since mid-January is averaging 31 ppg.

She has scored over 700 points this year! Has scored over 2,700 in her career. It's not all "glitz", she gets battered and beaten every game and has earned every one. Gets many points the dirty way - offensive rebounds. Went from post/shooting guard last year to point guard this year. Makes plays that causes the OTHER team's crowd to go crazy!

This might be the most uninformed group of people posting on this thread than any i've seen this season!! This is a serious thread and you people are treating it like a showcase for your favorite player!! I'll admit, i am a homer on every subject but this one. Casha foster is a bigger asset to her team than anyone in the state. The point stat is the one that Casha is supposed to be lacking in, but just in case you uninformed spectators didn't notice: Casha had 20 points in lthe other night's lady jet win over White County. Foster is the best defender in the state unarguably!!! and to top it all off Casha'a team is in the state's top 5!! You all are ignorant for not givin foster more mention on this thread!! Hey, coach T vote for foster!!! :unsure:

Hey givbakr2, I appreciate the comments on Dawn Evans. You are right. It is kind of funny to see and hear everyone presenting all of these names for miss basketball. But its OK for the homers to root for their favorite players I guess. But the funny part is is everyone is an expert on who is good or talented. Some of the names mentioned are no brainers and are absolutely great players and some are simply good players on their favorite team. I'm not an expert either nor do I claim to be. But the colleges from the SEC, ACC, Big East, Con USA, A-Sun, OVC. and other conferences that are recruiting her are the experts. Anyone can claim that a player is good but its the colleges that actually determine how good a player is. So on that note Dawn Evans is definitely one of those at the top. I mean no disrepect to any of the top players out there. But I felt I had to speak up for a great player and Straight (A) honor student that many colleges would love to have.

Also another note to you and PHargis, I am not particularly a Mt Juliet fan but I too have to speak up for Alysha Clark. Pound for pound at her size she is one of the grittiest and best to ever play in Tennessee. I should know, I saw her play several times and I was present went she put it to a really good Northeast team 37 points and 25 rebounds. Cait Mc Mahan may have gotten the award if she had not gotten hurt and probably would have deserved it. However, Alysha Clark was definitely desrving and a worthy recipient. She is proving her value now on a very good Belmont team. They already knocked off Clemson from the powerhouse ACC. You really have to appreciate talent no matter where they play. End of Sermon!!!

This might be the most uninformed group of people posting on this thread than any i've seen this season!! This is a serious thread and you people are treating it like a showcase for your favorite player!! I'll admit, i am a homer on every subject but this one. Casha foster is a bigger asset to her team than anyone in the state. The point stat is the one that Casha is supposed to be lacking in, but just in case you uninformed spectators didn't notice: Casha had 20 points in lthe other night's lady jet win over White County. Foster is the best defender in the state unarguably!!! and to top it all off Casha'a team is in the state's top 5!! You all are ignorant for not givin foster more mention on this thread!! Hey, coach T vote for foster!!! :thumb:

Maybe since Foster is such a great team player she will win team MVP or maybe take her team to the state and win MVP. You were bragging about her scoring 20 points in a game. Most of these girls mentioned on here are averaging20 plus points every game. Most are also in winning teams. Miss Basketball is based on individual stats not on team ones. Foster may be good but she is not Miss Basketball material. All-district, all-region, possible all-state, but certainly not one of the best three players in the state.

Edited by jumpincat

Class A- Jordan Ramsey

Jordan is the one of the best athletes out there. She has broken the school record for most career threes and most threes in a game (8). For the past two years she has been on the preseason all district 1st team. She was also on the all uppercumberland 1st team. For the past two years she has been on the all district, region, and state tournament teams. (not many have done that) She has been on several more that I won't list.

She is an all around player who doesn't care about how many points she has as long as her team wins. She sees the floor great and always finds the open man.

Not only is she a great basketball player but she has a very good attitude and is a good team leader. This whole year no matter who Clarkrange plays the other team always has there best guard on her but you will never see her loose her composure. I think she is the best canidate for Miss Basketball.

I agree but your forgot to mention that at this point she has 261 career threes and is approaching the 1500 point mark. She is also one of the toughest defensive players around. I for one keep up with her and it seems like the tougher the team the better she plays. Against Upperman (Class AA) and Cumberland County (Class AAA) she carried her team to a W.

She has several offers to play college ball but has not signed yet.

Good Luck to JORDAN RAMSEY!!!

Maybe since Foster is such a great team player she will win team MVP or maybe take her team to the state and win MVP. You were bragging about her scoring 20 points in a game. Most of these girls mentioned on here are averaging20 plus points every game. Most are also in winning teams. Miss Basketball is based on individual stats not on team ones. Foster may be good but she is not Miss Basketball material. All-district, all-region, possible all-state, but certainly not one of the best three players in the state.

Interesting.

There have some excellent strings on Coach T this year. A couple in particular are: "Defense vs. Offense" (started by shs2004; last post on 2/4...in case you dare to visit) and "Why no recognition" (started by utladyvols18; last post on 1/26). What is interesting in the resulting strings is the consistent theme that things like defense is what wins championships and stats such as assists go unnoticed...primarily because fans and observers don't understand the details of the game well enough to even notice when important stats like assists occur. I suspect, jumpincat you fall in this category.

Also interesting is that all posts on this string, with the exception of yours have been to speak positively of a young lady's skills and to try to promote to help them get deserved recognition. There is nothing bold to hiding behind the anonymity this site allows you and putting down a 17 year old girl. You are to spineless as Casha is to Miss Tennessee, a legimate contender.

Casha is consistent game in and game out. She puts up the stats, but not just the gamour stat (individual points scored), but the stats that display an understanding of the game and the reason it is played...to help your team win games.

If I'm choosing players to help me win a state of Tennessee championship, Casha will be on that team.