?Small School State?

derzauberer

I think its a good idea because the small school state champs cant even get crowned region champs in region 4 bc of Soddy and Ooltewah.

Tough Region. The small school State Champ, did however go on to finish 3rd at the Traditional Tournament behind Soddy and Bradley. I would like to see 1 more div added for the duals and combine the Traditional without keeping team points. I know that it has as much of a chance as say PotbellyStove being named "most intelligent "on this board, but....

Jakesdad, we are departing Chatt-Town 11am Fri. Last year we followed Lionsden and made pretty good time. If ya'll want to team up with us Be at the home of the OLPHERS by 11

Goog luck to all the TN boys this weekend at Super 32

Go Irish

bcb

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this gives the small school a chance at going to state....it hard for school that are good for thier size and school popualtion to hang with bradley central who is great and has like 1200-1500 students...i think its a great idea

We do have 5 state tournaments under one roof for the second year in a row. And that being said, the best team in the state of Georgia may be a 1A team....Jefferson. Year in and year out they take on all comers.

Interesting......in Georgia 1200 - 1500 students is either 2A or 3A.

Edited by RMC

N.Y. has two classes. Tn. needs to be split down the middle. Large and small for the individual tournament. This will help the sport grow it has every where else. I dont understand how this will hurt wrestling in anyway. It can only help. Everyone likes the status queo, that is the reason we are dying a slow death in college. Its only a few schools that compete for the prize. Thats the same in high school wrestling in Tn. and dont mess with the powers that be.

I'm not sure I can agree, given the fact that the number of teams since the 70's and 80's have grown immensely in TN. Participation is fairly healthy today, even down in Whitwell)*. The traditional state now has some 32 wrestlers + D2, compared to 12 or so back then. (from what I can see, number of teams have doubled) Any other old graplers want to correct?

I can accept an individual tournament where ALL teams compete with point tallies divided up by divisions once the dust settles, but medals are all open to the individual wrestlers, however. Last season would have been interesting under this scenario with Soddy - gold probable (depending on match-ups), Baylor gold (maybe ...again depending on match-ups like at 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 145 and 152 + one or two others) and ND a for sure gold for smaller D-1 teams given their margin of victory over other smaller teams like Sycamore, FRA and Hixson..

What a great thing to have 10 regional qualifiers today (+ D2) compared to three or four tournaments way back when.

*Side note: Grundy Co. is looking for a coach and they have singlets and two mats with a very supportive principal.

Edited by soms

tennessee is not competitive enough to have three state champions. in my opinion, we should only have one state champion. i see that winning state is a great honor but in many weights, particularly in dII, placing 5th and 6th isnt that great. i think we only need one state tournament

I agree for the INDIVIDUAL tournament. Now duals is a different matter. If the powers to be want to see wrestling grow in Tennessee , expand the dual tournament format. Add more teams to the small school division and consider adding a third division to include even more teams.

Small schools can keep there a/aa statis for dual state. There is no problams there, But I think they can make changes. There are a lot of Nashville teams that are AAA that can not feild full teams . They are there because the student body isl large enough to fall under AAA statis . Alot of the private schools like FRA and Notre Dame have no trouble filling fourteen.spots and then some. Look at how many teams from region 7 have full teams and look at the one that were put into region 6 carried fullteams . I believe a big part of them were down in numbers.In the 70s 80s and early90S Hillwood Hillsboro and some of the other Nashville schools carried full strong teams . Lets try to build team strengths and then we can split into a small school large school ind. state tournament.

Small schools can keep there a/aa statis for dual state. There is no problams there, But I think they can make changes. There are a lot of Nashville teams that are AAA that can not feild full teams . They are there because the student body isl large enough to fall under AAA statis . Alot of the private schools like FRA and Notre Dame have no trouble filling fourteen.spots and then some. Look at how many teams from region 7 have full teams and look at the one that were put into region 6 carried fullteams . I believe a big part of them were down in numbers.In the 70s 80s and early90S Hillwood Hillsboro and some of the other Nashville schools carried full strong teams . Lets try to build team strengths and then we can split into a small school large school ind. state tournament.

Unlike RMC at Collin Hills, the Irish really do pull kids out of the hallway to field a team

bcb