Great Tennessee High School Players - Part Two

Tigersteve44

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ron mercer came out of tennesse but i dont remember which high school

david harrison- brentwood academy

does anyone know if nicki arenze ever made it pro? i know he went to wake forest after having an incredible high school career at martin luther king but i dont know if he ever made it to the pros. also out of mlk was david harrisons older brother dj. did he ever make it to the pros out of colorado?

Edited by thecrippler2222

• 1 month later...

ron mercer came out of tennesse but i dont remember which high school

david harrison- brentwood academy

does anyone know if nicki arenze ever made it pro? i know he went to wake forest after having an incredible high school career at martin luther king but i dont know if he ever made it to the pros. also out of mlk was david harrisons older brother dj. did he ever make it to the pros out of colorado?

Ron Mercer went to Goodpasture before heading off to Oak Hill Academy

• 4 weeks later...

Clyde Lee played at Lipscomb in the 1960's before going to Vandy and playing several years in the NBA (Warriors for sure, maybe more teams). He has to be considered one of the best big men Tennessee high school basketball has ever produced.

Didn't Alvin Scott of the Phoenix Suns in the 1970's play in Bradley County? Not sure if he played at Cleveland or Bradley Central. I think Bradley. I'm sure someone from that area will enlighten me. Vincent Yarborough (sp?) played for Cleveland HS, UT and the Denver Nuggets.

Kirk Haston from Perry County played for Indiana and the Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets. Another good big man produced by a small Tennessee high school.

Where is Leonard "Truck" Robinson from Tennessee State from? What about Dick Barnett who played at Tennessee State and was a star for the Knicks in the late 60's and early 70's?

Then there's Charles Davis from McGavock. He played at Vandy and with the Bulls (maybe others) for several years.

Wasn't the legendary Oscar Robertson actually born in Tennessee before moving north as a child? He would qualify as the best player ever born in Tennessee, wouldn't he?

Hope I didn't get off topic too much. I guess Treadwell wins this contest with four. But Lang Wiseman of Bolton outplayed Penny Hardaway in the state championship game his senior year!

• 1 month later...

There was also David Vaughn out of Whites Creek, Uof M, drafted 25th. Penny was the 3rd pick overall when he was drafted and was traded around for the 1st pick I think. William Bedford from Melrose, UofM was drafted 6th overall and Lorenzen Wright, BTW and UofM was drafted 7th overall. There are a few Memphis players who went to Arkansas and were drafted but can't remember all of them.

Ok it is a slow day at the office so I found a site and here are a few more.

Todd Day Hamilton Arkansas (only Memphis kid via Arkansas to go pro)

Vincent Yarbrough Cleveland UT

Ron Widby Fulton HS UT

Doug Roth Karns UT

Bob Hogsett Holston Valley UT

Steve Hamer Middleton UT

Marcus Haislip Marshall City UT

Trenton Hassell Clarksville APSU

Otis Howard Oak Ridge APSU

Johnny Taylor Howard UTC

Willie White Carver UTC

Ted McClain ?Nashville TnSt

Dwight Waller Brownsville TnSt

Charles Davis McGavock Vandy

Clyde Lee Lipscomb HS Vandy

Bill Ligon Gallatin Union Vandy

These are just those who attended college in Tn and played at least some games in the NBA. There were a lot who played in the ABA from TN.

Tigersteve44...I use to watch a lot of memphis state basketball on TV and even went to a few games. Were you the guy that always sat in the student section and wore a white jersey? Seems like it had #44 on it.

VolunteerGeneral, I received your message. It's been awhile since I logged into the site. No, I'm not the guy you are thinking of. However, I was in the student section alot between 1981 and 1986. Sorry, for the long delay in the reply. I hope everything is well in Jackson. :lol:

Ok it is a slow day at the office so I found a site and here are a few more.

Todd Day Hamilton Arkansas (only Memphis kid via Arkansas to go pro)

Vincent Yarbrough Cleveland UT

Ron Widby Fulton HS UT

Doug Roth Karns UT

Bob Hogsett Holston Valley UT

Steve Hamer Middleton UT

Marcus Haislip Marshall City UT

Trenton Hassell Clarksville APSU

Otis Howard Oak Ridge APSU

Johnny Taylor Howard UTC

Willie White Carver UTC

Ted McClain ?Nashville TnSt

Dwight Waller Brownsville TnSt

Charles Davis McGavock Vandy

Clyde Lee Lipscomb HS Vandy

Bill Ligon Gallatin Union Vandy

These are just those who attended college in Tn and played at least some games in the NBA. There were a lot who played in the ABA from TN.

Runrdad, this is a great list you compiled here. Where do we stand as far as the Tennessee High School which produced the most NBA players? Does anyone know? :lol:

Edited by Tigersteve44

VolunteerGeneral, I received your message. It's been awhile since I logged into the site. No, I'm not the guy you are thinking of. However, I was in the student section alot between 1981 and 1986. Sorry, for the long delay in the reply. I hope everything is well in Jackson. :lol:

Ahh ok. But do you know the guy I`m talking about? He wore always wore a white MSU shirt and I could have sworn it has 44 on it. I remember seeing him on all the delayed broadcasts I watched back then on the PBS station.