Hillwood Job Opening

cobrafan90

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough place to teach everyday. Clientele is difficult. Kids brought in from all over the place. No continuity. Very few kids there actually live around the school. Facilities are, to put it nicely, terrible. Worst locker room I have ever seen. No coaches office (unless you count that closet that the refs dress in). The gym is old, tired and always dirty. Everything is constantly breaking down. The team benches are basically on the playing floor. As a coach, you have to dodge the four or five people at the game as they walk in front of you going to their seats. No fan or community support. No tradition at all. No money for athletics. The best players in the building don't play either because they can't pass anything or they didn't want to follow Coach Gamble's hair-cut rule. Other than that it is peachy. :lol:

Tough place to teach everyday. Clientele is difficult. Kids brought in from all over the place. No continuity. Very few kids there actually live around the school. Facilities are, to put it nicely, terrible. Worst locker room I have ever seen. No coaches office (unless you count that closet that the refs dress in). The gym is old, tired and always dirty. Everything is constantly breaking down. The team benches are basically on the playing floor. As a coach, you have to dodge the four or five people at the game as they walk in front of you going to their seats. No fan or community support. No tradition at all. No money for athletics. The best players in the building don't play either because they can't pass anything or they didn't want to follow Coach Gamble's hair-cut rule. Other than that it is peachy. :thumb:

Big chief you summed it up good. Where do you coach

Sounds about like half of the schools in Memphis.

Unlike the Memphis schools at least those kids can walk to their school(neighborhood schools). In nashville all of the HS's with the exception of a few(stratford,maplewood, pearl-cohn) are away from most neighborhoods the kids live in. Hillwood busses their minority kids from N. Nashville(dodge city). The coaches can't give all of the kids rides and most of those parents aren't interested in participating in a school so far away from their "neighborhood". Most of the kids who actually live near Hillwood either go to private school or magnet school. On Paper Hillwood should be one of the "richer" schools in metro(Bellevue and Belle Meade kids are zoned to Hillwood). But from the sounds of it they have a long way to go as far as resources.

This job will take a BRUCE PEARL like effort to build excitement and enthusiasm about the program.

This program has seen two 7 footers(Charles hathaway and the kid there now) or close to it(hathaway around 6'10"), prolific scorers in josh cooperwood and jermont wade but never putting it all together at the same time...........

whoever gets the job "good luck" you will need it.............

Rupp, I left after last year to be an assistant at East Literature Magnet School. We were the regular season district champs and are 21-8. We lost last night in the semis on a last second shot.

At most Hillwood games, the number of players and coaches would EASILY outnumber the paying spectators. Cobrafan was right. They have the largest number of students in their zone that attend Magnet schools. Most that live in the general area of the school choose to do that or go private. You would not believe the budget that we operated on. I turned it down before they hired Coach Gamble. At that time it just seemed to me that I would be going from one hopeless situation to another. Yes, some of the parents and players have contacted me this time about the opening. I have no idea what direction the administration wants to go in. It would take a lot of work and committment. Not just on the coach's part, but the administration and community. Will that happen? I don't know. How is your season winding up?

Rupp, I left after last year to be an assistant at East Literature Magnet School. We were the regular season district champs and are 21-8. We lost last night in the semis on a last second shot.

At most Hillwood games, the number of players and coaches would EASILY outnumber the paying spectators. Cobrafan was right. They have the largest number of students in their zone that attend Magnet schools. Most that live in the general area of the school choose to do that or go private. You would not believe the budget that we operated on. I turned it down before they hired Coach Gamble. At that time it just seemed to me that I would be going from one hopeless situation to another. Yes, some of the parents and players have contacted me this time about the opening. I have no idea what direction the administration wants to go in. It would take a lot of work and committment. Not just on the coach's part, but the administration and community. Will that happen? I don't know. How is your season winding up?

we lost tuesday night in the quaterfinals of the South State here.....went .500 with a soph and frosh dominated team.....i wish you luck in whatever you decide.

I agree with the astute comments made regarding Hillwood’s plight. It is obvious that the students who attend Hillwood do not live in the vicinity of where the school is located and are bused from low income areas of Nashville. Because the parents who live near Hillwood send their children to private schools or to magnet schools, there is a disproportionate number of students at Hillwood who come from the projects or from the inner city and they feel no real connection with Hillwood High School. I personally cannot blame parents for choosing to send their children to private schools considering that Tennessee’s public school’s are ranked 48th in the nation and show no evidence of improvement. Unfortunately many of the problems that exist at Hillwood also exist at the other Metro schools because the majority of the academic students are choosing to attend either magnet or private schools which tends to diminish the overall quality of metro schools.

What a crock! Who cares how many kids go to private schools? The funding and the 48th in the nation thing is pure propaganda. The bussing scheme is a problem for everyone and the outcome was predicted and predictable, but it was and is imposed and cannot be changed. The question is how do Nashvillians make the best of the aftermath.

Now for a few relavent facts:

Hillwood has students, some of them are good athletes and some of those athletes are are good bball players. The parents of those children are as capable of supporting their kids as anyone else.

Out here in Smallville we struggle with parent and student support and budget problems, and most of us live further from our school then these parents live from Hillwood. I bet there is someone out there who can get through to these kids and their parents and get this done.

Heck, I would take a pay cut to take this job just to prove it. :(