Hillwood Job Opening

cobrafan90

Are there any legit candidates for this job? Does anybody think they would be willing to hire an assistant coach from a major inner city type team from out of state with Tennessee connections? (UT Alumni and former East Tennessee assistant coach)

I work at a school very similar to what Hillwood sounds like, only worse. Not so much with the small facilities with respect to basketball, but the lowest SES in the county and an "F" school as far as the state tests go.

This sounds like an intriguing job - let me know what you Nashvillians think :thumb:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to investigate the posibility that the principal already has someone in mind. I am not saying he does, but you could be strung along just to meet equal opportunity practices. I would just as well say I interviewed for a job that was already spoken for than waste my time going through the motions. Call the principal, Karl Lang 615-353-2025.

Take it chief....we all know what kind of coach and person you are....you would do well there....these are the type situations I would have waded into 20 years ago....but age has a way of changing a man.

I have not seen you on the boards since we jousted a few years back. How is everything down South? Sorry to hear you are thru, but the future looks good. Guess you will apply for the vacant LHS girl's job to get closer to your good buddy Randall Hutto. Trying to get the pot stirred! keep it going.

Rupp, I left after last year to be an assistant at East Literature Magnet School. We were the regular season district champs and are 21-8. We lost last night in the semis on a last second shot.

At most Hillwood games, the number of players and coaches would EASILY outnumber the paying spectators. Cobrafan was right. They have the largest number of students in their zone that attend Magnet schools. Most that live in the general area of the school choose to do that or go private. You would not believe the budget that we operated on. I turned it down before they hired Coach Gamble. At that time it just seemed to me that I would be going from one hopeless situation to another. Yes, some of the parents and players have contacted me this time about the opening. I have no idea what direction the administration wants to go in. It would take a lot of work and committment. Not just on the coach's part, but the administration and community. Will that happen? I don't know. How is your season winding up?

Hillwood is not a hopeless situation but it is not a good opportunity for a young coach due to several things:

1. Most of the students that live in the Hillwood & West Meade neighborhoods attend private school or magnet schools. Look at the number of neighborhood kids that attend MBA, Harpeth Hall, Saint Cecilia, Father Ryan, Brentwood Academy, CPA & FRA and you would be shocked. My estimate is that over 75% of the neighborhoods athletes attend private schools.

2. The adminstration does not focus and push athletics.

3. The budget is a joke.

The school should be made into an academic magnet school, much like Hume Fogg. If they would turn Hillwood into a 7-12 magnet school you would see the private schools in the area start to loose some students. The parents don't like paying tuition but they feel that it is better than being zoned to Hillwood.

Edited by cbg

• 3 weeks later...

Surely the assistant, Evan Brown, applied. I know he wanted the job when I talked with him before. I can't believe only one person applied even knowing the situation there. There are at least 2-3 guys that always apply for every job in metro. They will find some schmuck to take it on. They should have an opening in every subject area. They always do. At least in the last five years. Chuck Lewis retired at Christmas so there is even a P.E./Wellness spot. Good luck Toppers.

Surely the assistant, Evan Brown, applied. I know he wanted the job when I talked with him before. I can't believe only one person applied even knowing the situation there. There are at least 2-3 guys that always apply for every job in metro. They will find some schmuck to take it on. They should have an opening in every subject area. They always do. At least in the last five years. Chuck Lewis retired at Christmas so there is even a P.E./Wellness spot. Good luck Toppers.

That's the one.

Hey chief, could he handle the job?

How dare a High School not "focus on" athletics!! :thumb:

I am not sure that he meant that the focus should be on athletics. Hillwood, over recent years, has had to deal with a lot of things outside of athletics and academics. To be honest, there were some safety concerns about two years ago because of some rampant gang violence.

Of the people I know in the new administration, they are good people who would love to put a focus on academics and athletics, but school safety has been the number one priority.

I think that bigchief would at least agree that safety has been the primary focus over the last year or so.