Hillwood Job Opening

cobrafan90

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock! Who cares how many kids go to private schools? The funding and the 48th in the nation thing is pure propaganda. The bussing scheme is a problem for everyone and the outcome was predicted and predictable, but it was and is imposed and cannot be changed. The question is how do Nashvillians make the best of the aftermath.

Now for a few relavent facts:

Hillwood has students, some of them are good athletes and some of those athletes are are good bball players. The parents of those children are as capable of supporting their kids as anyone else.

Out here in Smallville we struggle with parent and student support and budget problems, and most of us live further from our school then these parents live from Hillwood. I bet there is someone out there who can get through to these kids and their parents and get this done.

Heck, I would take a pay cut to take this job just to prove it. :thumb:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know where Hillwood is? Do you know the students that actually go to the school?

Can someone win at Hillwood? I think so, but it needs to be someone who is totally commited to it. He has to be willing to drive these kids home every night. He has to be willing to work in a facility that is horrible. He has to actively recruit the kids that are zoned for his school, or he will lose them to one of the private schools or another Metro high school.

Yes I know the school. I work nearby and had a friend with kids at the school, and another friend who moved to keep the kids out of the school. I didn't just post for something to do.

They don't face any challenges that we here in the small rural areas face. Our best players often end up transfering to bigger schools for the exposure, many good athletes go to private schools for the better education, budgets are tight, generally low incomes, we all live a long distance from the school, and the parents work even further away making transport a real big issue. Add to that the small town politics, entrenched administrations and coaching staffs, etc., etc., etc.

Take these issues into the city and all of a sudden its an unsolvable crisis. Give me a break.

You may not like my viewpoint, but it is not from ignorance. :lol:

Yes I know the school. I work nearby and had a friend with kids at the school, and another friend who moved to keep the kids out of the school. I didn't just post for something to do.

They don't face any challenges that we here in the small rural areas face. Our best players often end up transfering to bigger schools for the exposure, many good athletes go to private schools for the better education, budgets are tight, generally low incomes, we all live a long distance from the school, and the parents work even further away making transport a real big issue. Add to that the small town politics, entrenched administrations and coaching staffs, etc., etc., etc.

Take these issues into the city and all of a sudden its an unsolvable crisis. Give me a break.

You may not like my viewpoint, but it is not from ignorance. :lol:

I apologize for the tone of my post. I just reread it and it is a bit arrogant.

That being said, I do think there are major difference between a city team and a rural team. I could go on and talk about uneducated parents, no money, etc., but rural schools face those exact same issues. Obviously, transportation and support can be issues as well.

I think the main difference is the competition. On the whole, the small school division is much easier to win with marginal players than it is in a city like Nashville. The upper tier teams are similar, but the middle tier is not as strong.

I will say this. There are a couple of coaches who I think could do the job. I think the guy at Lebanon is excellent. The coach at Franklin does a tremendous job. Troy Allen at Mt. Juliet could turn the program in the right direction. To be honest, I think "bigchief" would be excellent. The guy at McGavock would be good.

But here's the thing, it's a tough situation that no one really wants. Someone is going to have to take a chance.

I think the upside of a school like Hillwood outweigh some of the negative points. I have coached in Memphis and now in Middle TN and I see a lot of positives in the Hillwood jobs. I believe they will have some athletes come in there, second the play in a district that there is not just a powerhouse team in like you might see in Memphis. I do not know anything about their facilities, but I can imagine not much different than those in other metro schools throughout the state.

More than anything with a program that has been down, you need enthusiasm injected into the program. Someone that will gain their respect and they know sincerely cares about doing whatever to make them better is what will get this going the right directions.

The funding and the 48th in the nation thing is pure propaganda.

Not agreeing with Tennessee’s 48th place is your prerogative. But according to the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, Tennessee’s high school graduation rate for 2002 was is a mere 57 percent, ranking it 48th among the 50 states. Only Georgia and South Carolina had lower rankings. I don’t believe Tennessee’s graduation rate has improved since 2002. Data shows that Tennessee's graduation rate, low as it is, actually deteriorated over time. In little more than a decade, Tennessee's graduation rate declined 12 points, from 69 percent in 1991 to 57 percent in 2002. That gives Tennessee the distinction of not only having one of the lowest graduation rates in the nation, but also one of the steepest declines during that period.

This data demonstrates there is ample cause for concern about Tennessee's long-range ability to compete in the new global, information-oriented economy. Education is the best way to prepare Tennessee’s children to compete in the new knowledge economy but from my experience, Tennessee’s public schools have failed in this endeavor.

Last year, I was told by another teacher of a rural middle Tennessee high school that “the vast majority of our students will be unemployed.” When I attempted to arrange a partnership between this high school and the town’s largest employer, I was discouraged by the school’s Vocational Director. He told me that when he attends vocational conferences, he is often told that “our graduates lack basic skills." More specifically, he said "they are unable to do basic math and cannot write well.”

I have taught in enough Tennessee public schools to know that this is not an isolated problem. Recent reports even show that most Tennessee high school graduates cannot even fill out a job application. That is very sad.

Comparing a county school to an "inner city school" is no comparison. At hillwood you have an illusion of nice neighborhoods surrounding the school. A coach can "coach" at the school and not get a feel of what some of the students are dealing with on a daily basis. In the county school there was mention of distance to the school, well there was no mention of transportation. these (inner city) kids parents' have no transportation. they usually get rides from friends who probably are doing things they shouldn't be doing. if hillwood was located like pearl cohn which does good job year in and yr out in football it could do better. most of these kids at P-C walk to school, walk to practice, walk to games, etc. you can go to a freshman game at P-C and see a crowd. Why? because kids are in the vicinity of the school. coaches can knock on doors nearby the school and visit parents and the community feels this is "their school". at hillwood there is 0 connection. the kids just feel they are bussed across town. these kids don't have the desire a county kid may have. a county kid may like to sacrifice and be a part of the team just for companionship, with less kids per population. An inner city kid can have a party all day and all night long at his/her complex and not even think about playing basketball.

so to the person comparing a county situation to this is an insult. it does not compare. two different situations. this doesn't compare to memphis because memphis schools are in the "community" i.e. melrose........orange mound.

Hillwood is not located in "dodge city"

Edited by cobrafan90

Comparing a county school to an "inner city school" is no comparison. At hillwood you have an illusion of nice neighborhoods surrounding the school. A coach can "coach" at the school and not get a feel of what some of the students are dealing with on a daily basis. In the county school there was mention of distance to the school, well there was no mention of transportation. these (inner city) kids parents' have no transportation. they usually get rides from friends who probably are doing things they shouldn't be doing. if hillwood was located like pearl cohn which does good job year in and yr out in football it could do better. most of these kids at P-C walk to school, walk to practice, walk to games, etc. you can go to a freshman game at P-C and see a crowd. Why? because kids are in the vicinity of the school. coaches can knock on doors nearby the school and visit parents and the community feels this is "their school". at hillwood there is 0 connection. the kids just feel they are bussed across town. these kids don't have the desire a county kid may have. a county kid may like to sacrifice and be a part of the team just for companionship, with less kids per population. An inner city kid can have a party all day and all night long at his/her complex and not even think about playing basketball.

so to the person comparing a county situation to this is an insult. it does not compare. two different situations. this doesn't compare to memphis because memphis schools are in the "community" i.e. melrose........orange mound.

Hillwood is not located in "dodge city"

There were many days when it felt like Dodge City was located in Hillwood.

Metroman, thanks for the compliment.

Refuge, I appreciate your comments, but I would invite you to stop by Hillwood one day and just take a walk down the hallway. I think you would drop the "rural has the same problems" outlook real quick. Hopefully, your car would still be there when you started to leave. An assistant principal had her car keys taken FROM HER OFFICE DESK DRAWER. They stole it and drove all over town for a joyride. I had to tie a tourniquet on a kids arm after his punch missed the kid he was fighting and went through a window. We had a very public riot in the courtyard during lunch two years ago involving about 25-30. I had to aid a student who had overdosed when she passed out in the hall. We had a female student that had a line formed outside a restroom while she "adminstered aid" for a fee." The line included one of our "hallway monitors." Our school resource officer was hit by a car during dismissal. I used to bring my old t-shirts and give them to the kids since they would be wearing the same clothes three times a week. I washed their clothes also. Our basketball budget allowed us five basketballs and a USED dryer for everyone's use the last year I was there. No uniforms, not even practice jerseys. We played a freshman game using a watch at the table because the clock wouldn't work. We had pet mice in the locker room. They ate better than many of the kids on the team. I could tell you some of the worse things that went on, but I think you get the picture. I bet you haven't experienced this stuff in whatever "rural" area you are referring to. You are comparing Apples and oranges. I am not trying to start anything. I just thought I would enlighten you a little.

There are still some good kids at Hillwood. I keep in touch with several. However, the last five years have really seen a sharp decline in the school population. This will be a very important hire for the school's athletic future. Girls basketball disappeared in the late '90's. It could very well happen with the boys this time. Choose well.

Refuge, I appreciate your comments, but I would invite you to stop by Hillwood one day and just take a walk down the hallway. I think you would drop the "rural has the same problems" outlook real quick. Hopefully, your car would still be there when you started to leave. An assistant principal had her car keys taken FROM HER OFFICE DESK DRAWER. They stole it and drove all over town for a joyride. I had to tie a tourniquet on a kids arm after his punch missed the kid he was fighting and went through a window. We had a very public riot in the courtyard during lunch two years ago involving about 25-30. I had to aid a student who had overdosed when she passed out in the hall. We had a female student that had a line formed outside a restroom while she "adminstered aid" for a fee." The line included one of our "hallway monitors." Our school resource officer was hit by a car during dismissal. I used to bring my old t-shirts and give them to the kids since they would be wearing the same clothes three times a week. I washed their clothes also. Our basketball budget allowed us five basketballs and a USED dryer for everyone's use the last year I was there. No uniforms, not even practice jerseys. We played a freshman game using a watch at the table because the clock wouldn't work. We had pet mice in the locker room. They ate better than many of the kids on the team. I could tell you some of the worse things that went on, but I think you get the picture. I bet you haven't experienced this stuff in whatever "rural" area you are referring to. You are comparing Apples and oranges. I am not trying to start anything. I just thought I would enlighten you a little.

There are still some good kids at Hillwood. I keep in touch with several. However, the last five years have really seen a sharp decline in the school population. This will be a very important hire for the school's athletic future. Girls basketball disappeared in the late '90's. It could very well happen with the boys this time. Choose well.

well said. especially from someone who was there. wow after those comments who whould even want to teach there let alone coach??

Great posts Chief and Cobra. The problem starts with the poor decisions in zoning. If any school has to bring kids in from another part of town that totally clashes with the schools natural environment, there is a problem! The problem is obviously greater than athletics. For Hillwood to improve in its present state, the principal needs to have greater authority to handle problems the right way (kick out the real turds). It takes more than a politician and coverups. Obviously, Johnson was the wrong person for the job. I don't know if Lang is the right one for it either. It really does not matter if Joe Clark is the principal if his hands are tied by the higher ups. If the zones cannot be cleaned up, then make it a magnet school. That way you can keep Hillwood High School. Otherwise it might be time to look at more drastic changes.

Take it chief....we all know what kind of coach and person you are....you would do well there....these are the type situations I would have waded into 20 years ago....but age has a way of changing a man.