McMinn Central vs Alcoa

concernedcherokee

You are correct tomcatfan...they won't miss a beat without Irvin. I think some people are counting Haywood out too fast though. If I recall a lot of folks had Liberty beating Bolivar in every game this year and didn't Bolivar take 3 of 4? And didn't Bolivar and Haywood split this year? hmmm... :thumb:

Thanks for that comment anthony. You would think Haywood is a sub .500 team the way people have counted them out. Haywood was leading Liberty in the first game. It was a big lead also. They had one bad stretch and ended up losing the game. There was also another bad stretch in the second game. So it is not like Liberty dominated Haywood this year. A few lapses cost the game.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have lots of depth...they are, however, without one of their key players for the tournament, and that is Josh Irvin...could be critical, but I doubt it...on Alcoa & McMinn Central...MC wins in a convincing manner...McMinn Central has the best shot of taking out Haywood/Liberty, in my oppinion...but I look for McMinn Central to dominate Alcoa...

I don't think McMinn will dominate, if they win it'll be close, same for Alcoa. Their fans thought the same way 2 years ago, and they got beat. This year's Alcoa team is, IMO, better than the one from two years ago, so I think we'll be seeing a good game come Thursday.

If Beau Brown shoots the ball the way he did in teh two games I watched, Alcoa will win. If Beau shoots the ball well however, Central should win. Luckily the games arent played on paper and one thing that Alcoa has going for them is they have played tougher opponents and are used to being in close games. That should help Alcoa.

Also, who cares how many D 1 players have signed to play whereever. A good core group of 5 guys with good talent will normally outweigh one stud.

I don't think McMinn will dominate, if they win it'll be close, same for Alcoa. Their fans thought the same way 2 years ago, and they got beat. This year's Alcoa team is, IMO, better than the one from two years ago, so I think we'll be seeing a good game come Thursday.

The only reason I think Central will dominate is because they will be out for blood...they felt very robbed two years ago when they lost to Alcoa the first time and I don't think history will repeat itself...thats just my oppinion though...either way, good luck to both teams, they have both had great seasons...

The only problem I see Central having is with the size. Blake is a great post player, but just lacks the size. He uses his body better than anyone I've seen in high school. If Beau's on then thats another advantage for MC. Also, Beau needs to calm down and take smart shots and TAKE OVER THE GAME. When Brown was a Jr., he took over games, he dominates now, but by no means does he take over games. I think Central still takes this one, though, after the bitter taste in their mouth from two years ago, they are out for revenge. And I see them getting it and moving on to the Semi's. There I think they will face Liberty, just because Haywood has obviously proved they can't hang onto a lead against them. I think MC will be in a dog fight with Liberty. The winner, well.......

None the less, though, I don't think MC has the fire power to beat a team of Bolivar's caliber or Mitchell's caliber. But everyone has a chance at glory and that'll be Centrals if they can get there.

The only problem I see Central having is with the size. Blake is a great post player, but just lacks the size. He uses his body better than anyone I've seen in high school. If Beau's on then thats another advantage for MC. Also, Beau needs to calm down and take smart shots and TAKE OVER THE GAME. When Brown was a Jr., he took over games, he dominates now, but by no means does he take over games. I think Central still takes this one, though, after the bitter taste in their mouth from two years ago, they are out for revenge. And I see them getting it and moving on to the Semi's. There I think they will face Liberty, just because Haywood has obviously proved they can't hang onto a lead against them. I think MC will be in a dog fight with Liberty. The winner, well.......

None the less, though, I don't think MC has the fire power to beat a team of Bolivar's caliber or Mitchell's caliber. But everyone has a chance at glory and that'll be Centrals if they can get there.

I think Blake will be the X factor in this game. He does a great job with fakes and using his body. The shot blockers from Alcoa will think they'll have a field day but Blake will get to the free throw line often. Beau will meet some athletes like Lanxter and Sommers who will give him a challenge. For MC to win they can't let Ridenour or Stubblefield get hot from outside. Should be a track meet. Who will stop BrandonWarren defensively is my question????

About the game two years ago, it doesn't really matter who would have won between Alcoa and McMinn because neither of those teams could have beaten Jackson South Side. Could someone tell me what kind of size both of these teams have??? Good luck to the winner against Haywood or Liberty. They are both playing very good basketball.

McMinn Central played terrible against Alcoa two years ago...had they won and advanced to play Jackson Southside, they would've beaten Southside...I understand your reasoning...Southside had Chism...Chism was less experienced then and Central had a big man who would've kept Chism in check...without Chism, Southside wasn't anything...Alcoa COULD have beaten them but they appeared to play a bad game against them...

If Alcoa can get some turnovers and not turn it over themselves, I think it will be close.

With that being said, McMinn Central wins by 19 after they pull away late.

I just don't see McMinn Central winning big in any game at Murfreesboro. I'm a Central guy (in case my username doesn't give it away), and every team they could possibly face in the final 8 are better than (in some cases much better) than any team they've faced so far this year. Central will have to play fundamentally sound basketball and avoid the carelessness that has plagued them in some games in which they simply outclassed their opponents. They won't outclass anyone in Murfreesboro.

They've made it this far, so I'm not saying they can't win. Any team that's left can win this thing. However, I believe Central must really minimize the turnovers, and avoid taking poor shots if they want to advance. We must also remember to feed it inside to Derrick to relieve pressure on our perimeter. If you remember, in our only loss Derrick only had five touches in the paint.