Strange Sunday in Sin City

Guest catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

Did anyone notice all of the anger and hostility yesterday that was leaving the city of Las Vegas. That would be the NASCAR drivers (all of them except for Jimmie Johnson).

Matt Kenseth: like last year at Chicago he dominated this race from start to almost the finish only to finish 2nd. The #17 car had engine trouble towards the end of the race and a caution for debris on the speedway helped put the #48 Lowe's Monte Carlo of Jimmie Johnson in position to win the race. Johnson passed Kenseth in the last turn of the last lap and won. Kenseth referred to the last caution as being bogus.

Dale Earnhardt Jr: Little E had a solid race yesterday. He kept the fenders clean on his car and stayed out of trouble throughout the day. That is anyway until the final caution with three laps to go. Dale Jr. had a pit road incident that caused him to have to go to the end of the longest line after he has a possible Top Ten day going at Vegas (a track that he has always struggled on). That finish of 27th put Jr. in the 11th spot in the points standings which hurts after he was looking to improve what started as a Top Five Points Day for the #8 Budweiser Chevrolet.

Ryan Newman: lost eleven spots in the points after crashing a car that was simply garbage to start the race. His excuse?????? TIRES!!! Newman (as well as Reed Sorenson) had several complaints about tire wear.

Kyle Busch & Tony Stewart: another week has passed and believe it or not Tony Stewart has made more enemies. I can't say that I'm a Kyle Busch fan (or a fan of Kurt's for that matter) because I am not. I will say that NASCAR needs to have a chat with the two time points champ because his attitude stinks. After attempting to kill Matt Kenseth at Daytona (just one week after crying about how restrictor plate drafting was hostile) Stewart repeatedly slammed his car into the back of Busch's throughout the race yesterday. Would NASCAR had put up with these indidents say if it were a guy like Jimmy Spencer out there slamming his car into other drivers???????? NO WAY!!!! Tony Stewart is a punk and whether he is or isn't a friend of Dale Jr.'s I do not care because he is a guy who cries when something is done to him but he does the exact same stuff to others all the time.

Greg Biffle & Jeff Gordon: speaking of Tony Stewart's past enemies here are two guys who make that list. Greg Biffle and Gordon traded paint twice yesterday (each guy initiating contact one time apiece) and words were said about the incident after the race. Biffle, who Tony Stewart said that they named streets after when a race ended last year, said that he lost respect for the #24 DuPont Monte Carlo. WOW!!!! I'm sure that Greg Biffle's respect means plenty to a four-time series champ.

NASCAR NEXTEL CUP POINT STANDING AFTER THREE RACES:

1.) Jimmie Johnson (540): always starts fast but will he do it in the Chase this yr

2.) Matt Kenseth (-52): looking more like the guy who won it all two years ago

3.) Kasey Kahne (-85): I'm thinking that he had a sophomore slump last year

4.) Casey Mears (-86): doing great behind the wheel of the famous Texaco ride

5.) Mark Martin (-110): whether it's Trucks, Busch, or Cup this guy flat drive

6.) Kyle Busch (-137): all Hendrick Motorspots needed was another great driver

7.) Clint Bowyer (-151): a solid Busch series driver doing good thus far in Cup

8.) Elliott Sadler (-155): Yates' top driver looks to avenge '05 summer collapse

9.) Jeff Gordon (-166): having a solid year thus far despite one top five finish

10.) Jeff Burton (-167): winning the pole at Daytona really gave him momentum

11.) Dale Earnhardt Jr. (-171): doing a good job of staying out of trouble thus far

12.) Brian Vickers (-178): Hendrick drivers make up 1/3 of the top 12 in points

13.) Dale Jarrett (-188): former series champ would be a favorite to make chase

14.) Martin Truex Jr. (-204): DEI's rookie having a great start to his season

14.) Robbie Gordon (-204): having a good year running the DEI horsepower

16.) Denny Hamlin (-206): still the only rookie to see Victory Lane at the Cup level

17.) Kevin Harvick (-208): decison about future with Childress set for April

18.) Ryan Newman (-233): yesterday's bad luck was an early blow to the year

19.) Tony Stewart (-236): who will he make an enemy next week at Atlanta

20.) Jamie McMurray (-239): debut with Rousch off to a slow start this year

21.) J.J. Yeley (-241): the ole Interstate Batteries ride keeps improving

22.) Kurt Busch (-251): Rusty is loving seeing the Penske Punks struggle thus far

23.) Carl Edwards (-256): like Kasey Kahne last year it could be a soph. slump

24.) Joe Nemecheck (-270): rebounded nicely after spinning out yesterday.

25.) Greg Biffle (-271): one of NASCAR's best has had bad luck thus far

26.) Kenny Schrader (-283): would personally love to see him win in the #21 ride

27.) Terry Labonte (-296): doing a solid job of gaining points for HOF racing

28.) Jeremy Mayfield (-300): his string of chase bids in danger of coming to an end

28.) Dave Blaney (-300): a great open wheels driver who deserves better in Cup

30.) Jeff Green (-303): the local native keeps making the show and running solid

OTHERS WORTHY OF MENTION:

Michael Waltrip (-318): when will a restrictor plate race finally get here

Kyle Petty (-325): one can only wonder how much longer he'll race at this level

Bobby Labonte (-334): despite a slow start don't be shocked to see this team win

Scott Riggs (-355): missing the Daytona 500 really put him in a big hole

Sterling Marlin (-357): the other local native is really struggling in new ride