Classifications are overrated!

topdoggnbball

Is the classification system overrated? No, it's actually broken.

In a small school (A) when there is a try out for a sports team the coach typically does not have the luxury to cut and sometimes even has to resort to talking kids into playing. In the larger schools you at least have the choice of some selection and depth. You are also dependent on several kids having to multi-sport so if you are fortunate to make it to post season play then that spring sport about to start up is going to suffer. I know the seasons overlap for everyone but I'm not talking about the spring sport not fielding it's best team I'm talking about it fielding a team at all.

The part that is broke. At one time the system was out of balance because of the private school going out to recruit. To fix that problem Division II was created. This was a good fix but it wasn't left alone. The new multiplier and changing the numbers is absurd. It's like imposing a penalty because you are a small private school. Head count is head count. Draw a line in the sand and the math will be easy.

The small private schools that do not recruit rely heavily on booster money and sometimes church money which is not an endless abundant resource. I see new magnet schools being built every year with facilities that would humble most private (D1) schools.

This is not a slam on those public schools that moved down in classification due to the numbers changing, which was not their choice. This is a direct criticism of how the T$$AA needs to reevaluate the current system and make it right.

I'm not even going to get into the whole 1.8 X rule but.....

Your take on single A teams not being able to cut players is crazy. Our midlle schools have tryouts and cut kids. Our YMCA youth league is TOO competitive and our kindergarden baskteball team had so many kids that its really hard to get them all in game and still win (of course were are not SUPPOSED to be keeping score and trying to win). But anyway, I dont think a single A school has any trouble getting good ball players.Lake County and Middleton didnt even make it to state, but I bet they could beat some of the AA schools that were there.

And please dont give the TSSAA any ideas about Magent schools and multiplier rules. B) Lord knows one terrible rule is enough.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your take on single A teams not being able to cut players is crazy. Our midlle schools have tryouts and cut kids. Our YMCA youth league is TOO competitive and our kindergarden baskteball team had so many kids that its really hard to get them all in game and still win (of course were are not SUPPOSED to be keeping score and trying to win). But anyway, I dont think a single A school has any trouble getting good ball players.Lake County and Middleton didnt even make it to state, but I bet they could beat some of the AA schools that were there.

And please dont give the TSSAA any ideas about Magent schools and multiplier rules. B) Lord knows one terrible rule is enough.

My take is from coaching at a small private school, so it is not crazy but factual. I just left out the word private.

We never cut a player the whole time I played at Celina/Clay Co. and the most we ever had was 16 I believe. I would guess for the most part that the small single A teams don't have cuts. They hold try-outs, let the quiters quit, and start practice.

I don't that Classifications are overrated. If you start throwing A with all the other classes I think A would get killed. I agree with what was said earlier. If you have a smaller school then you have a smaller selection of kids to choose from unlike a AAA school that can pretty much pick and choose. I have seen this just from going to summer camps with teams. You get in some of the summer games and you wonder if they are actually high school players or if they just picked them up from a church league to play in this camp. If the bigger schools have a bigger selection than the A schools then unless the A just have an outstanding year where they get a lot of good players at a smaller school then A will get killed all the time. What hurts smaller schools is it is hard to get kids to go there when they are seeing what AA and AAA schools are doing to them on the score board. I think it should stay the way it is, it makes it fair for all the classes.

Is the classification system overrated? No, it’s actually broken.

In a small school (A) when there is a try out for a sports team the coach typically does not have the luxury to cut and sometimes even has to resort to talking kids into playing. In the larger schools you at least have the choice of some selection and depth. You are also dependent on several kids having to multi-sport so if you are fortunate to make it to post season play then that spring sport about to start up is going to suffer. I know the seasons overlap for everyone but I’m not talking about the spring sport not fielding it’s best team I’m talking about it fielding a team at all.

The part that is broke. At one time the system was out of balance because of the private school going out to recruit. To fix that problem Division II was created. This was a good fix but it wasn’t left alone. The new multiplier and changing the numbers is absurd. It’s like imposing a penalty because you are a small private school. Head count is head count. Draw a line in the sand and the math will be easy.

The small private schools that do not recruit rely heavily on booster money and sometimes church money which is not an endless abundant resource. I see new magnet schools being built every year with facilities that would humble most private (D1) schools.

This is not a slam on those public schools that moved down in classification due to the numbers changing, which was not their choice. This is a direct criticism of how the T$$AA needs to reevaluate the current system and make it right.

You've gotta mention small schools in general, not just privates. The multiplier forced small privates up, while it pushed larged public schools like Oliver Springs, Humboldt, CSAS, Union City, and others down. The multiplier has hurt the small schools the hardest.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas...

Where are you from? i am going to east tn, because you dont anything about basketball. I dont agree! Duh! explain yourself. Everything I stated at the start of this topic is facts. Which means there is proof(in case you didn't know rocket scientist). now prove me wrong BlunwhiteH8Tribe. You also thought Mcminn would beat Liberty. Enough said do your homework before you speak genius. :lol:

I would say the top teams in any of the 3 classifications can probably be competive at any level. But, and this is a big but, the average team in single 'A' cannot in any way compete in double 'AA' as the average team in 'AA' cannot hold it's own in 'AAA'. Classification is good. It gives all teams a chance to compete day in and day out. It also let's us all debate the question of who is best, Hamilton or Mitchell, Liberty or Union City.

Edited by mjbears#1

If Hamilton's best three players went to Grace Academy and Grace Academy's three best players went to Hamilton(which would never happen) The classifications would not change. it only deals with school size. Not talent so to answer the question are classifications overrated. it's hard to say I think the best single A teams would destroy the worst AA teams and the best AA teams would destroy the wrost AAA teams so it's really hard to say. AS far as Mitchell holding the ball that was stupid for Goodpature to sit there and let them hold the ball. You have to compete I dont care how outmanned you are

How can people even make the argument that it was good coaching for Mitchell to hold the ball and stupid for Goodpasture to let them. Mitchell was obviously the most talented team in the State and they hold the ball with a single digit lead against a team that couldn't hold a candle to them in the talent department. That is aweful and Goodpatures coach would have to have been nuts to come out and pressure. Are you kidding me? A chance to go into the 4th with a chance, I don't think Goodpasture could have asked for much more than that. Mitchell's "coaching" was the only thing keeping them from the winning the Gold Ball. By the way, can anyone tell me how many times Thad Young posted up during the tournament ( I bet he scored 80% of the time he posted up). That could of helped against the undersized Liberty.

How can people even make the argument that it was good coaching for Mitchell to hold the ball and stupid for Goodpasture to let them. Mitchell was obviously the most talented team in the State and they hold the ball with a single digit lead against a team that couldn't hold a candle to them in the talent department. That is aweful and Goodpatures coach would have to have been nuts to come out and pressure. Are you kidding me? A chance to go into the 4th with a chance, I don't think Goodpasture could have asked for much more than that. Mitchell's "coaching" was the only thing keeping them from the winning the Gold Ball. By the way, can anyone tell me how many times Thad Young posted up during the tournament ( I bet he scored 80% of the time he posted up). That could of helped against the undersized Liberty.

So you are telling me it makes sense to let a team hold the ball and run the clock down. last time I checked when you are losing your worst enemy is the clock. I have seen plenty of times when a team with inferior talents really gets after a better team and ends up winning. If you get beat then you get beat it's life. everything is not always equal. Im not saying goodpasture should have come out and played man the whole game but at some point you have to say forget lit et's go attack them and if they beat us then hats off to them.

Now somebody made the comment earlier about single a teams not competing with AA teams. CSAS who has traditionally been single moved up to double in 98 and went to the sub state, the school was always one of the smallest AA schools in the state(should have been single A) and was always competitive. for the most part AA and AA schools will have more talent but there are instances where a single A team coul dcompete with a AA or a AA team competing with AAA