The D-Poles

KoLax33

Well everyone talks about how good the offense is and how everyone connects and stuff. I was just wondering on what everyone had to say about the defense of any team. Who stops balls before it gets to the goalie. Like who's the best 3 guys on each team, and who is pretty awesome at Defense all around from stick skills to checks?

Edited by KoLax33

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that CBHS has one of the best defenses in the state. #5 Drew McClelland has gained an unbelievable amount of muscle and has gotten even faster than last year's blazing speed. #22 Matt Haaga, probably the strongest guy on the team, has really stepped up and increased his footwork and should be a surprise to any team being as he was out with injury for the beginning of the year and Zach Byrum #9 is a quick defender with great stick skills along with the rest of the defense and will be a key player in the clearing game. All in all i think CBHS has one of the best if not the best defense in the state.

I'm going to have to agree with lax14 on that one, while I will admit that I have yet to see many other defensive units (aside from MUS and Houston), it appears that CBHS's defensive team has a great mix of quickness, knowledge, and muscle (#5 lays some pretty heavy checks). It'll be interesting to see how they match up against some of the more talented attack units this season.

I think McCallie is probably the favorite, at least on paper, for the best D, seeing as the return 1 first team all stater in Jackson, who is a UPenn commit. They also return Huffaker who was a second team all state selection, and they have lots of depth at the position, and good size as well. Posted some nice wins against out of state competition.

I was not impressed with the CBHS defense. Good size, but slow. McClelleand threw some nice checks, but stopped his feet several times while checking. They did have some nice clears.

I think MBA's d is going to push McCallie. They start 3 experienced seniors, and have 2 more that play. Banker is a good checker who can carry. Brown plays some of the best position D in the state, and McWhorter is solid as long as he doesn't get overly aggressive. 4th pole is also a senior in Ramsey, who has a nice stick. Not a lot of flash but very good as a unit. Goalie play has been very nice so far. Held Lovett to a lower score than McCallie.

I haven't seen MUS play, but I would imagine they will battle CBHS for 3rd best unit.

Edited by Redtwin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think McCallie is probably the favorite, at least on paper, for the best D, seeing as the return 1 first team all stater in Jackson, who is a UPenn commit. They also return Huffaker who was a second team all state selection, and they have lots of depth at the position, and good size as well. Posted some nice wins against out of state competition.

I was not impressed with the CBHS defense. Good size, but slow. McClelleand threw some nice checks, but stopped his feet several times while checking. They did have some nice clears.

I think MBA's d is going to push McCallie. They start 3 experienced seniors, and have 2 more that play. Banker is a good checker who can carry. Brown plays some of the best position D in the state, and McWhorter is solid as long as he doesn't get overly aggressive. 4th pole is also a senior in Ramsey, who has a nice stick. Not a lot of flash but very good as a unit. Goalie play has been very nice so far. Held Lovett to a lower score than McCallie.

I haven't seen MUS play, but I would imagine they will battle CBHS for 3rd best unit.

From what i saw from Christian Bros they have nothing other than number 28, and their D was poor, they got very chippy against ravenwood and they even started throwing punches but the ref did nothing so t hey got lucky, and i dont know anything about MUS's D but Ravenwoods D is pretty good as a unit they have 2 poles that throw very good checks and of course Sterling Perkins who will take your head off, or and arm but he is a very good D-pole and is very experienced