Ravenwood- MBA tonight

ravenwood_state_champs05

i second that. it was a big win for us but it's behind us now. winning by one goal in one game does not advance us to finals and we know that. webb and mccallie this week.

Remember, MUS beat McCallie by 3 in the regular season and then lost in the finals. I appreciate that donttalkjustplay said that because you can never tell whats going to happen in state.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA rebounded from a tough loss last night and defeated Louisville St. Xavier 12-5, I think. The game was a little sloppy. Both teams had trouble staying on their feet. I think the new field turf needs a couple of good rains to make it settle in right. Good win, though, especially after such a tough game the night before.

MBA rebounded from a tough loss last night and defeated Louisville St. Xavier 12-5, I think. The game was a little sloppy. Both teams had trouble staying on their feet. I think the new field turf needs a couple of good rains to make it settle in right. Good win, though, especially after such a tough game the night before.

MBA rebounded because they are a quality team. One win or one loss doesn't define a season. The MBA vs. Ravenwood game was exciting, and was exactly the kind of matchup this state needs to continue the growth of the sport.

Speaking of the field turf. Does it "break in". Are regular grass cleats recommended?

I'm also curious about the field turf (actually, I think MBA's was installed by SprinTurf, a competitor of Field Turf). I've heard that it plays just like grass and that you can wear regular cleats. I heard that when they put in MBA's that they just painted on football lines and that lines for other sports will be sprayed on with temporary paint. How did it look?

I'm not sure who did the MBA field, but I think it's a great surface. You can wear molded or screw in cleats on it, and there's little to no chance for turf burn. The football lines and endzones are permanent at MBA, and they use some special paint to temporarily add lacrosse lines. The field is kind of "loose" right now because the majority of the black pellets are still just sitting on top of the turf, and the turf hasn't really been packed down yet, so it's kind of spongy and slippery. After a couple of good rains and some more activity, it should be perfect.

I'm not sure who did the MBA field, but I think it's a great surface. You can wear molded or screw in cleats on it, and there's little to no chance for turf burn. The football lines and endzones are permanent at MBA, and they use some special paint to temporarily add lacrosse lines. The field is kind of "loose" right now because the majority of the black pellets are still just sitting on top of the turf, and the turf hasn't really been packed down yet, so it's kind of spongy and slippery. After a couple of good rains and some more activity, it should be perfect.

Feild Turf does tend to be slippery right after it is put in. The turf at UT is still moderately slippery after a full season of Lacrosse plus intermural sports. Most of the UT players decided to wear "wet turf" shoes, which are basicly really knobby tennis shoes. The ones that wore cleats tended to slide more than others.

With a new football stadium in the works at MBA, is Tommy Owen going to become the new lacrosse/soccer stadium?

Ravenwood's players deserved this win. Any time I have ever been to watch Summer League games RHS players outnumbered any other schools' boys. Not surprising either after how close MBA played RHS last year, although I did hear a rumor about several MBA players being drunk during that game haha

With a new football stadium in the works at MBA, is Tommy Owen going to become the new lacrosse/soccer stadium?

I have heard some rumors to that effect. I have heard a few people say that the current practice field will become the site of a new football stadium. Of course, that was the site of the previous stadium up until 1982. We'll see.

I have heard some rumors to that effect. I have heard a few people say that the current practice field will become the site of a new football stadium. Of course, that was the site of the previous stadium up until 1982. We'll see.

I too have heard those rumors. I heard that they wanted to dig down and have a bowled in stadium with luxury boxes, etc. However, now that they've just installed a $700,000 turf football field and a new pressbox last year, I find it hard to beleive they would build a new football field/stadium. Plus, the donor (Joe Davis) stipulated that the new turf field have only permanent lines for football. I talked with someone close to the situation that says the next project will be a large fieldhouse with a pool, gyms, track, strength facility, etc. It will be located on the site of the practice field or in the new space created by tearing down the houses on Brighton and closing the street.

I too have heard those rumors. I heard that they wanted to dig down and have a bowled in stadium with luxury boxes, etc. However, now that they've just installed a $700,000 turf football field and a new pressbox last year, I find it hard to beleive they would build a new football field/stadium. Plus, the donor (Joe Davis) stipulated that the new turf field have only permanent lines for football. I talked with someone close to the situation that says the next project will be a large fieldhouse with a pool, gyms, track, strength facility, etc. It will be located on the site of the practice field or in the new space created by tearing down the houses on Brighton and closing the street.

Ensworth has raised the bar for everybody in terms of facilities. MBA already has a beautiful physical plant, and it looks like it will only get better. BA and FRA are both on major building projects as well. Competition is always a good thing!

Ensworth has raised the bar for everybody in terms of facilities. MBA already has a beautiful physical plant, and it looks like it will only get better. BA and FRA are both on major building projects as well. Competition is always a good thing!

While Ensworth certainly has a nice campus with lots of land, I'm not sure that they "raised the bar" for MBA. The talk of a new fieldhouse has been going on since I was there (mid 90's), but there just hasn't been any land on which to build it. That has been and always will be an issue for MBA. Headmaster, Gioia came from Darlington where they have an indoor pool and some very nice facilites and he has made it known that he wishes to build a facility on par, if not better, than what McCallie and Baylor have. Now that they are making progress on the land aquisitions on Brighton, new facilities will become a reality soon.