Let's just do away with public school sports!

CPGB06

This entire discussion and the start of it seems to be coming from someone who more than likely either never played High School Athletics or 2 was a bench warmer for 4 years. If you do away with public school athletics more than half of the rual counties would not have enough money to run schools. Alot of the money that comes into the schools in rual areas are from the money making sports ex. Football and Basketball. If you dont want your child to go to a public school and stand on the sidelines like you then take him to a private school where he might do the same thing or star. Either way let things be the way they are. As a former public school athlete in metro nashville and now a coach at a private school in nashville i have seen both sides of the issue. The coaches including my self do not get paid nearly enough per the hours we put in every week of every year. And field maintance is most of the time done out of the pocket of the coaches. If you do not like it then move out of the state of Tennessee other wise sit up in the bleachers with everyone else and support your local team. :lol:

I have serious doubts that any school in the state has athletic program incom that contributes on red cent to the general operational budget of the school. I secondly doubt that there is one single athletic program in the state that is COMPLETELY independent of general operational budget funds.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have serious doubts that any school in the state has athletic program incom that contributes on red cent to the general operational budget of the school. I secondly doubt that there is one single athletic program in the state that is COMPLETELY independent of general operational budget funds.

I completely agree. That is one of the craziest statements I have ever heard ... or at least completely nuts. I wonder exactly where CoachSmith coaches? :lol:

It was because of the morality problems in public schools (and academic problems, and social problems, and violence problems) that most of the small privates were started.

Real reason for starting most of the privates: Because of resistance to integration.

Edited by wheels

Real reason for starting most of the privates: Because of resistance to integration.

There was integration a long time before the boom in privates. Now bussing to attain racial balance and the establishment of comprehensive high schools with 1500 to 2000 students is probably the real reason. This completely eliminated the public community school concept and was the demise of parental/community support of public high school athletics in the Metro Davidson County area. The parental/community support for a Smith County/Marshall County/etc. remains high because they are a community based school, I don't think you can say that about the 4A and 5A schools in Nashville.

There was integration a long time before the boom in privates. Now bussing to attain racial balance and the establishment of comprehensive high schools with 1500 to 2000 students is probably the real reason. This completely eliminated the public community school concept and was the demise of parental/community support of public high school athletics in the Metro Davidson County area. The parental/community support for a Smith County/Marshall County/etc. remains high because they are a community based school, I don't think you can say that about the 4A and 5A schools in Nashville.

I'll second that. There is no comparison between community based schools and Metro Davidson public school support.

baldcoach...I stand behind every thing I said about the subject.

First off the Southern Baptist Convention just had a vote whether or not that the church should officially encourage parent`s to home school or use a christian private school. I`m sorry but that is sooooo wrong.

Christians complain about the lack christian values in schools and then take them out of public schools. IF ALL christians were in public schools, don`t you think that would vastly improve the overall environment of public schools? Let me answer that for you...YES. I never said that it was the entire cause of the problem, but by you having your kid in a private christian school along with thousands of others, it definitely contributes to the problem. What you have done is no answer to the overall problem. Schools are most always made of up of cliques. My son graduated from JCM and to be honest it is probably perceived by most as being the worst of the public schools in Jackson. Yet, there were plenty enough good kids with moral fiber there (no thanks to the christian private schools) for him to enjoy his years there. And you know what? He doesn`t drink, do drugs,smoke...I mean just what is it that christians are so darn afraid of?

Witnessing...Every church that I have been involved with uses their youth to witness. I have no idea what kind of church you attend (I`m a Baptist) but there is all types of ways to witness. Maybe you don`t think youth should go on missionary trips. Maybe you don`t think they should go on youth visitation. Maybe you don`t think that youth choirs should go to the mall and give a free concert. Maybe you don`t think that your kid should invite someone from school to visit with them at Wednesday night youth service. Man you have it all so wrong the way you have described it Baldcoach. The church encourages youth to be a witness for Christ. Witnessing doesn`t mean handing out tracts and quoting Bible verses. Your kid can be a witness in public school just by acting in a Christ-like manner.

I guess Daniel wasted his time in the lion`s den and the fact that young David stood up to Goliath meant nothing.

Lastly....Please don`t get on here and try to proclaim that christian schools are better than public schools. Guess what...they still have drinkers, dope users, foul mouths, and kids that have sex. Spending 6,000 bucks and sending your kid to a school that invokes Christ`s name doesn`t change that. Trust me I know cause even though stuff from private schools may not make the paper like they might at a public school, the same things go on.

People always complain about kids at public schools whose parents just don`t care about them and are not involved enough. Well it`s that same involvement that you have as a christian parent that makes the difference in your childs life. You shouldn`t need school to do the job of what yourself and your church should be doing. I know I didn`t. There are so many ways that your child`s christian values can be enhanced at a public school, but they are just missing out on them.

On a personal note, one day I was sitting on the tailgate of my pick up truck at Oman arena selling tickets on a Friday afternoon to a football jamboree for that evening. There was a teammate of my son sitting there with me as we waited for folks to drive up and buy tickets (JCM got to keep the money from tickets that were presold). Anyways, out of the blue he says to me...."(My son`s name) has it so good." I asked him what he meant. He said that his dad (me) was always there to support him. He said I`m always around anything that is going on. I come to all his games and stop by at practices. I`m involved in fundraising activities and just all around involved in other activities at school.

Now let me tell you, as an adult that meant the world to me. I saw right then what kind of an impact and an influence as an adult that I can have in kids lives. I never ever considered the fact that just doing what I felt was good for my kid was noticed by other kids. Yeah I know you claim that you are looking out for your child, but there is a world of opportunity for you to not only be a witness for Christ yourself, but to be a model for kids that REALLY need an alternative role model. Yeah..there are a lot of kids at public schools whose parent`s really should be involved more. But all these "christian" parents are abandoning wonderful opportunities to be beacons in kids lifes. You may think the Lord wants you to have your kid in a private school, but personally I think He would rather have you in a place that you can put your well intentioned efforts to a place that can help others that really need it.

Excellent post. :thumb:

There was integration a long time before the boom in privates.

While most Tennessee school districts had allowed black kids to choose to attend previously all-white schools (and vice-versa) for several years, most districts came under court orders in 1969 or 1970 directing them to accomplish meaningful integration and do away with all-black schools.

Now look at these dates when the privates began (taken from the schools' websites):

Ezell Harding 1973

Nashville Christian 1971

FACS 1972

Brentwood Academy 1970

SBEC 1973

Old Hickory Academy (high school predecessor to USJ) 1970

Donelson Christian 1971

Rosemark Academy (high school added) 1970

And you don't think that integration played a part in the formation of the privates?

While most Tennessee school districts had allowed black kids to choose to attend previously all-white schools (and vice-versa) for several years, most districts came under court orders in 1969 or 1970 directing them to accomplish meaningful integration and do away with all-black schools.

Now look at these dates when the privates began (taken from the schools' websites):

Ezell Harding 1973

Nashville Christian 1971

FACS 1972

Brentwood Academy 1970

SBEC 1973

Old Hickory Academy (high school predecessor to USJ) 1970

Donelson Christian 1971

Rosemark Academy (high school added) 1970

And you don't think that integration played a part in the formation of the privates?

Wheels,

I count 7 privates that started in the early 70s on your list. How many are there in the state? The defense rests...

p.s. Most small privates accurately reflect their communities in racial make-up

VG,

You know that more often than not you and I tend to agree. Apparently several things I posted really hit a nerve. Ok, I'll be happy to talk about 1 or all, but can we break it down some? If I responded to your last post mine would be even longer, then yours would be longer, pretty soon we would be writing books <_< .

Here are the main points that we were discussing I think, let me know if this is a good list or we need some addtions or deletions...

Mainly we were discussing your contention that Christian Schools in general were hypocritical

One reason being that Christians should stay in the Public Schools to witness

Another being that so many Christians have left public Ed that it has had a negative impact on morality there

A third (and I'm not sure you were trying for this, but its the best I can make out of the last couple of paragraphs...help me if I get it wrong) is that being moral in the midst of immorality is a better morality than being moral in a moral situation...or something along those lines.

Secondarily somehow we got into a discussion of "Witnessing", which can mean a lot of different things from living a good moral life to passing out pamphlets and preaching in mission fields to refusing to deny God or Christ and being martyrd. In your reply I think you touched on several different types...which do you think we are obligated to do, and which of those do you think can't be done in a Christian School?

"Excuse me but the last words the disciples heard from Jesus were the the Great Commision to go our into the world and make disciples of all people. Is that not to witness. The purpose of the Great commision was for Christians to be a witness."

STD,

Without getting into a huge theological debate, yes, Jesus sent His Disciples out before and after his death. How many of them were children? It seems to me that if we examine Jesus' interactions with children He is always protective of them...but don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself.

Same ideas in the OT...protecting children is a strong theme throughout scripture. You and I both know I could fill up the page with reference verses. Never once does scripture advocate putting children in morally questionable situations so they can "witness" or show how faithful they are...heck, we don't do a good job with that as adults, why in the world would we put our children in those situations (not talking about public ed here...talking about the principles we were discussing)

p.s. Personally I believe that too many of us have bought into society's idea that children are just "little adults". They aren't. Their brains are different, their personalities are different. Their bodies and emotions are different. They shouldn't be forced into adult situations while they are still kids...plenty of time for that once they are grown.

before i forget it, boiled toast, welcome back!

we have missed you on here...

dont necessarily always agree with you, but always enjoy your input.

now on with the show;

"VG, are you seriously accusing those who have moved their kids to private schools of being the cause of moral decay in the publics?"

i dont think he said THE CAUSE. contributing factor, sure. i dont see how you can deny it.

if there were 10 christians per 100, and 5 were removed to private school, that would leave 5 per hundred. and that decline would be attributable to removing the other 5 to private school. if it is your belief that christians are what stands in the way of "moral decay", then removing christians from the mix would seem to, by definition, contribute to moral decay.

"Christian values should be in Public Schools"

i am still confused. i never knew christian values were excluded from public schools. at our school we have FCA, we have a bible club, we have a prayer group. admittedly, if the laotians wanted to have a buddist club, we'd have to allow that as well. i have been involved with numerous teams, in 4 different sports, at several different public schools. every one of them managed to have team prayers before games. our basic christian culture has been inculcated in every public school i have been around. i just dont know where these godless schools i keep hearing about are.

now, our teachers are not allowed to preach (in theory) but that really serves the religious people more than the non-religious.

think about it, if i were an atheist, why would i care what religious practices went on at school? what difference could it possibly make?

i tell you who would have been at the door, hopping mad, if we had any religious teaching at school. it would be the people from the church i was brought up in.

you might not know this, but they are the only true christians.

now, i might have lost my moral compass (much to my mother's chagrin) and not actually believe that their precise and narrowly defined path to salvation is the only possible way. but, i can assure you, they would be the first in line protesting with outrage and anger, when some teacher foolishly misinterpreted a scripture.

that is just the sort of thing that can inadvertently condemn whole classrooms of kids to everlasting heck.

ironically, they also loudly protest our godless schools, and believe christianity should be taught there...

but it can only be their version.

and what is my guarantee that your school provides a safe and wholesome environment, your word?

when a public school coach is fired for dropping an f-bomb in a team meeting, there is 10 pages of discussion on here, about the man, about his offense, about the school and the school board.

when your school has a shocking and momentous personnel change, the reasons are a closely held secret and discussion is off limits.

if it isnt something bad, why would it be such a secret?

what really goes on at your school, that gets covered up? how much more is there that no one knows?

as a christian (depending, of course, on whose definition you use) which should i trust more, an environment where failings are dealt with openly, or a secretive place where i am supposed to take it on faith that nothing bad is happening?

just how high is your moral high ground?

Laz,

Good to be sporadically back <_<

Again, too much. I will reply to the last part though with a question. Are you implying that it is a good thing when people are dragged through the mud on the boards? Surely not. I would say that the fact that we have all respected the people involved enough to keep quiet speaks volumes about the kind of people we have at our school. Last I heard talking about people behind their backs and spreading gossip was a bad thing...did that change? (Joking, we both know it didn't, just pointing out how silly your last point was from a moral standpoint. I like you anyway!)

Wheels,

I count 7 privates that started in the early 70s on your list. How many are there in the state? The defense rests...

p.s. Most small privates accurately reflect their communities in racial make-up

I'm not saying that only 7 were founded in the 1970's. The seven on my list were some that came to mind, that had web sites, and that showed the date opened on the website. Yes, there are some that have been around much longer. Academic schools like MBA, McCallie, and Baylor. Religious schools like Lipscomb, Christian Brothers, and Ryan. But virtually all of the schools not falling in those two categories date to the early 1970's and would be classified by many as "white flight" schools. And at some time since then, many began to become football factories.

And although I have no facts, I seriously doubt that many of the privates' enrollments relflect the racial composition of their communities.

Edited by wheels