Let's just do away with public school sports!

CPGB06

I'm not saying that only 7 were founded in the 1970's. The seven on my list were some that came to mind, that had web sites, and that showed the date opened on the website. Yes, there are some that have been around much longer. Academic schools like MBA, McCallie, and Baylor. Religious schools like Lipscomb, Christian Brothers, and Ryan. But virtually all of the schools not falling in those two categories date to the early 1970's and would be classified by many as "white flight" schools. And at some time since then, many began to become football factories.

And although I have no facts, I seriously doubt that many of the privates' enrollments relflect the racial composition of their communities.

I actually have a "guide" of privates schools in the Nashville area that is published every year. Out of more than 120 privates schools in the area ... only 6 were started in the "70's". Hardly seems like a white flight exodus. Of those, all are in pre-dominantly white areas of town (or were when the schools were founded).

I have direct knowledge of 5 different private schools in the Mid Tenn area. Immediate relatives that teach there or attend school there. The racial make up of everyone of the schools is directly reflective of the general population of the US. Take my sister in law's school (she was a "surprise" :lol: ) ... she is a class that has about 60 kids in it. There are 8 kids that are black. That is exactly 13.3% of the population. According to the 2002 US Census, the total population of the US that is black is 12.7%. <_<

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Excuse me but the last words the disciples heard from Jesus were the the Great Commision to go our into the world and make disciples of all people. Is that not to witness. The purpose of the Great commision was for Christians to be a witness."

STD,

Without getting into a huge theological debate, yes, Jesus sent His Disciples out before and after his death. How many of them were children? It seems to me that if we examine Jesus' interactions with children He is always protective of them...but don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself.

Same ideas in the OT...protecting children is a strong theme throughout scripture. You and I both know I could fill up the page with reference verses. Never once does scripture advocate putting children in morally questionable situations so they can "witness" or show how faithful they are...heck, we don't do a good job with that as adults, why in the world would we put our children in those situations (not talking about public ed here...talking about the principles we were discussing)

p.s. Personally I believe that too many of us have bought into society's idea that children are just "little adults". They aren't. Their brains are different, their personalities are different. Their bodies and emotions are different. They shouldn't be forced into adult situations while they are still kids...plenty of time for that once they are grown.

Have you not read the scripture "and a little child shall lead them" Come on do you really think that there is an age limit on being a witness for Christ?

"... Are you implying that it is a good thing when people are dragged through the mud on the boards? Surely not. I would say that the fact that we have all respected the people involved enough to keep quiet speaks volumes about the kind of people we have at our school. Last I heard talking about people behind their backs and spreading gossip was a bad thing...did that change? (Joking, we both know it didn't, just pointing out how silly your last point was from a moral standpoint. I like you anyway!)"

actually, i didnt intend to imply that board discussions of that nature were a good thing. just that the public schools do not enjoy the same ability to keep things under their hat. i kept reading that public schools were not held accountable, but i would posit that it is the private schools that are not accountable.

as for what it says about your school that nothing has become public knowledge, all it really says to me is that ya'll close ranks against outsiders.

whether that is good or bad would depend on knowledge i dont have (and am not seeking). the gentleman is apparently looking to work around kids in the future.

i will say that i was favorably impressed by the kids who wrote in to say how much the coach meant to them. i know he has to be proud of that.

Have you not read the scripture "and a little child shall lead them" Come on do you really think that there is an age limit on being a witness for Christ?

*heavy sigh*

I think you are quoting this verse:

" The wolf will live with the lamb,

the leopard will lie down with the goat,

the calf and the lion and the yearling [a] together;

and a little child will lead them. " (NIV)

Which is Isaiah 11:6. The whole first part of the passage is one of Isaiah's many prophecies of the Messiah (a shoot will arise from Jesse, etc.)...and it is obvious from the context that the 'child' is the Messiah...so this passage certainly does not say anything about putting our children into questionable moral situations so they can witness to people...what it does say is that there will be a Messiah. Unless you are saying that we should let our children lead dangerous wild animals as their witness?

I never said there was an age limit to anything. I said children are not adults and should not be force into adult situations just so they can 'witness'. Leave that kind of stuff to adults. I also said that scripture backs this view over and over...noticed you didn't address that.

Try to find any reference in the OT or NT that advocates putting children into bad situations so they can show their faith...I'll wait.

p.s. Context is important...

I'm not saying that only 7 were founded in the 1970's. The seven on my list were some that came to mind, that had web sites, and that showed the date opened on the website. Yes, there are some that have been around much longer. Academic schools like MBA, McCallie, and Baylor. Religious schools like Lipscomb, Christian Brothers, and Ryan. But virtually all of the schools not falling in those two categories date to the early 1970's and would be classified by many as "white flight" schools. And at some time since then, many began to become football factories.

And although I have no facts, I seriously doubt that many of the privates' enrollments relflect the racial composition of their communities.

Wheels,

I knew you didn't have the facts, that is why I replied. Developer has the Nashville stats and in Chattanooga there are 0 out of 12 private high schools that started in the early 70s (I'm not 100% sure about 1 of them, only 90%, so it could be 1 of 12).

*heavy sigh*

I think you are quoting this verse:

" The wolf will live with the lamb,

the leopard will lie down with the goat,

the calf and the lion and the yearling [a] together;

and a little child will lead them. " (NIV)

Which is Isaiah 11:6. The whole first part of the passage is one of Isaiah's many prophecies of the Messiah (a shoot will arise from Jesse, etc.)...and it is obvious from the context that the 'child' is the Messiah...so this passage certainly does not say anything about putting our children into questionable moral situations so they can witness to people...what it does say is that there will be a Messiah. Unless you are saying that we should let our children lead dangerous wild animals as their witness?

I never said there was an age limit to anything. I said children are not adults and should not be force into adult situations just so they can 'witness'. Leave that kind of stuff to adults. I also said that scripture backs this view over and over...noticed you didn't address that.

Try to find any reference in the OT or NT that advocates putting children into bad situations so they can show their faith...I'll wait.

p.s. Context is important...

Context has everythig to do with it. Yes Isaiah prophecies were foreseing the coming of a Messiah. And come he did, not what the people were looking/hoping for. A Prince of Peace who didn't hide from the very people who you call "dangerous wild animals." And his last words were the great commission. It did not say everyone over 21 go out and make disciples of all nations.

Is it actually putting children in questionablely dangerous morally situation? Certianly you are not implying that there is danger within the public school situation for a child to think or act as Jesus would do when faced with right and wrong. You witness when you make a choice make a choice on what is right in the eyes of the Lord and back up your decision with appropriate action. I fear you suffer from an elitiest attitude that gives the privates a bad rap.

Context has everythig to do with it. Yes Isaiah prophecies were foreseing the coming of a Messiah. And come he did, not what the people were looking/hoping for. A Prince of Peace who didn't hide from the very people who you call "dangerous wild animals." And his last words were the great commission. It did not say everyone over 21 go out and make disciples of all nations.

Is it actually putting children in questionablely dangerous morally situation? Certianly you are not implying that there is danger within the public school situation for a child to think or act as Jesus would do when faced with right and wrong. You witness when you make a choice make a choice on what is right in the eyes of the Lord and back up your decision with appropriate action. I fear you suffer from an elitiest attitude that gives the privates a bad rap.

Must I reference both of these again:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS03/606090397

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../606120317/1002

The illustrious "good" zone that my kids are zoned for! :thumb:

Wheels,

I knew you didn't have the facts, that is why I replied. Developer has the Nashville stats and in Chattanooga there are 0 out of 12 private high schools that started in the early 70s (I'm not 100% sure about 1 of them, only 90%, so it could be 1 of 12).

I also need to add that my figures also include elementary thru middle school programs that stop at grade 6 and 8 too. Not all of those are high schools. :thumb:

"Must I reference both of these again:

The illustrious "good" zone that my kids are zoned for! "

yes, it is much safer to send the kids where that sort of thing could be swept under the rug.

i assume there has been a conviction?

yes, it is much safer to send the kids where that sort of thing could be swept under the rug.

Matter of a fact YES! Several convictions. Read the DNJ story. Those just the recent ones in Rutherford Co. :thumb:

As far as swept under the rug - do you really think that if a child is molested or raped by a teacher at a private that it won't get out. Once a legal filing happens ... it becomes public record minus the personal id info of the victim. :lol:

Edited by tnsddeveloper

1) Dont misquote me to make me sound terrible. I never called any people 'dangerous wild animals' and never would (with the possible exception of terrorists, who I think should be put down like the animals they are). I said that the only conclusion you can draw from the verse you quoted was that leading around lions and other wild animals was how children witness...in other words the verse had nothing to do with witnessing like you had implied previously, it had to do with a Messianic prophecy.

2) Jesus' last words...hmm...there is an interesting subject. In John they are ""If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?", spoken at breakfast with only the inner circle of Apostles present. In Matthew they are "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Which is what I assume you are referring to. But wait, just as I told you these words were said to ADULTS, in fact, they were said to only 11 adults. No children present. Because you don't send children alone all around the world to preach to strangers, just like you don't send them to the local crack house or biker bar to witness to the patrons.

Now whether you send them to public or private school certainly isn't as momentous a decision as that, but remember that....and this is important...I was just responding to the argument that NOT sending kids to public school was hypocritical because they couldn't witness as well. I am simply making the point that that argument holds no scriptural water. You are the one taking the stance that you are morally superior for sending your kids to public school. I have said over and over that it is a personal choice that parents have to make...never have I said that one choice was morally superior. Quit projecting.

p.s. You still haven't quoted a single verse that says children should witness, are obligated to witness, or should be exposed to the world so they can witness to it. But since your whole morality argument is based on this assumption I'll be patient and wait a bit longer before I post the multiple passages that say otherwise.

Laz,

No private could ever sweep anything like this under the rug...I'm gonna have to start calling you Muldur... :lol: