Young Defenders?

scout123

thats not entirely true some great player have gone through odp in the past years

the way teams are scouted now days you must be invited for odp not the old way of knowing some body, most kids think that because they play an start at the high school level that thay should get to play odp, not true, these players train more an practice more than your normal player , they also want to play on the best team because that is just another challenge, must play the best to be one of the best

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen many games statewide, but Cory Willis, Patrick Compton, and Austin Hayes would be my picks.

I'd have to disagree with you. The best defender in the county is Steve Boynton. He is the best of the best. If it wasn't for him, his team would lose every game. Cory Willis, Patrick Compton, and Austin Hayes are good but not as good as Steve. B)

I'd have to disagree with you. The best defender in the county is Steve Boynton. He is the best of the best. If it wasn't for him, his team would lose every game. Cory Willis, Patrick Compton, and Austin Hayes are good but not as good as Steve. :thumb:

im not sure you can be one of the best defenders an not even get more than 10 to 20 minutes per game, an some games he never gets in, not going to be like big brother, but its ok to give props to your freind, i will say that when he does get to play in the varisty game looks like he is used more up top or out wide than on defence

I'd have to disagree with you. The best defender in the county is Steve Boynton. He is the best of the best. If it wasn't for him, his team would lose every game. Cory Willis, Patrick Compton, and Austin Hayes are good but not as good as Steve. :thumb:

Are you talking about his select team or high school team? If it's high school, then you are completely off base, because from what I hear he doesn't play much in high school. Although he a good defender, his foot skills are lacking some and touch can be a tad hard at times. What Steve does well is body up to you and it's difficult for people on the ball to turn. He also has excellent speed. But he's definitely not the best defender in the county! No where close to Austin Hayes. If you are talking about his select team, then yeah maybe, but Cory Willis is also a big reason a lot of butts are saved.

the way teams are scouted now days you must be invited for odp not the old way of knowing some body, most kids think that because they play an start at the high school level that thay should get to play odp, not true, these players train more an practice more than your normal player , they also want to play on the best team because that is just another challenge, must play the best to be one of the best

True, you do have to be invited... but from being on the team a few years, i've seen that some of the players are invited because they know someone or they are related to someone on the board... Many great players are invited but many that are invited would not have even gotten a look if they didnt know someone.

True, you do have to be invited... but from being on the team a few years, i've seen that some of the players are invited because they know someone or they are related to someone on the board... Many great players are invited but many that are invited would not have even gotten a look if they didnt know someone.

That's what we 'outsiders' have known for years, but what ODP has always denied. It's the same with any sport, though, not just soccer. Life is political.

I would like to disagree with you. I have had first hand experience with the whole ODP team. Does it hurt to know someone, NO, but that's in every aspect of life, whether it's looking for a job, finding a deal, etc... However, ODP is not a political as you think it is. I heard all the same stories before my daughter made ODP. I thought for sure she was good enough to make the team, but I thought she wouldn't because she wasn't the coaches daughter, or wasn't one of the board members daughter, but you know what, she did and deserve to make it. I have also seen a girl from TN on the National Pool at regions one year, and guess what didn't even make the region team the next. I could give examples of the boys side as well. So, unless you know first hand about ODP, don't make statements unless you have info to back it up. It might have been that way in the past, but I think when Curtis Blair came on board and with Manny Sanchez cleaned all that up. I know Curtis is not there in that role anymore, but that kind of when my daughter joined.

Just take a look at what the boys 90 team accomplished this year. You don't get that far by having a bunch of coach's sons and board member's sons on the team. I have seen current players who were a part of ODP one year and got cut the next year, because another person step up that was invited to participate.

It takes your coaches involvment to have him recommend you and then hopefully ODP will have time to come look at you during a tournament. Lots of different players are invited every year and each year all the young men and women know they could be cut.

ODP is really ran very well is the bottom line! If you are good enough you will make it!

i remember seeing you a couple of years ago with the 89 odp team, it seemed to me that you are able to play at that level based on your size an skill i dont know if you would get an invite this year unless you prove youself by playing against tougher competion, good luck