TSSAA Issues Sanctions on Tullahoma

Whitey

wow! i have so much to say to you that isn't allowed on coacht, but i'll try and keep it civil because unlike you, i can act like an adult when i post :

I appreciate that frommy, and I agree with you on your opinions of halfdoller's posting. Not a whole lot of class in that post, and I hope he will learn to add some in the near future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with TSSAA and their response to this situation simply because it is objective and matter-of-fact. All ineligibility cases usually result in costly forfeits... it is the nature of the beast. The more TSSAA tries to tailor separate offenses to separate situations creates dangerous ground for them to walk on. "Well you did this for them.." or "What we did wasn't as bad as that school..." would be all too common complaints they would have to deal with. Governing bodies are supposed to be impartial and just. By TSSAA rules, the player was ineligible... it should be handled the same as the rest.

HOWEVER... I think this allows us to dive into the debate of ammending that rule. While, I am not completely familiar with this player's situation, I would assume that the two classes he was taking were the last two he needed to graduate. Let us quickly look at the NCAA for a moment. They require that all college athletes be enrolled in 12 semester hours UNLESS the individual has fewer required hours to qualify for graduation (i.e. Matt Leinart from USC, who only had to take 3 hours of ballroom dancing his senior year because that was the final requirement for his graduation). Perhaps we should be discussing the possibility of changing the rule to state that a player must be enrolled in three classes unless the student requires less than that to graduate, in turn taking all remaining requirements.

If you abandon TSSAA, all that happens is a similar governing body is put in its place that in the end will be faced with making the same difficult decisions.

Edited by smittygk00

How is CAK this year?

I don't want to get off topic, but I also wanted to respond since we've missed seeing you on the soccer threads! We're doing fairly well, and looking forward to playing your boys in two weeks (If I remember you are a Farragut fan) Hope to hear more from you....

Now, back to the topic.

So if the Honor Student had taken gym or some other class there would not have been a reason for the punishment?

So all of U "Do the crime, pay the time" folks would rather an Honors student waste his time in a class he didn't need the meet the rule of law. There are exceptions to rules. TSSAA needs to look at each case and use the common sense rule.

Time is a valuable thing. Why have a "Honors Student" take a bogus class just to play soccer?

Your punishing a senior, senior team mates, team and his community on an oversight and the young man being exception in the class room.

That's teaching the right message.

NOT! :thumb:

I hope none of U work for the IRS. You would have us shot when we make an mistake on our taxes. :thumb:

In the day where one in ten people are lawyers, you cannot say that one student can break the rules because he is an exceptional student and set himself up to only take 2 classes if they want and another student took more electives and have to finish his core classes to graduate (such as medical classes, but is on the college prep path). That would be "discrimination" and a good lawyer would win the case. A rule must be uniform and fair to all. That is similar to a coach coming in Tennesse and practicing his players all year, and then finding out that it was against the rules when the season started to begin, is that still fair? Whether the extra class would have made a difference or not is not the point. TSSAA has rules and regulations that they must follow.

By the way, I only needed a class and a half to graduate, but am enrolled in more that those classes.

Question: Does TSSAA allow students to take a couple high school classes and then a couple college classes? (2 high school and then 2 college)

Someone made an excellent point, if turning yourself in results the same punishment of not turning themselves in and getting caught, why turn yourself in? Yes, I know what some of you are going to say, becaue we're honest people. IN my opinion, it would be what we call a "white lie", like telling someone they are not fat, when they actually are, so not to hurt thier feelings. People are just not going to report it, because the same punishment will be dished out and something as a stupid as a student taking two classess instead of three, I think most people will take thier chances on TSSAA catching them. I would say the probabilty of getting caught would be slim to none.

In society there is always a governing body and most of those governing bodies show sympathy to someone who accidently breaks a rule or a law. I think that's what most people want TSSAA to do. Is listen to each case and come to a concensus of fair punishment. Just like in society, whether a person stole somemthing because of peer pressure, or was speeding, driving while intoxicated, those bodies that govern us usually gives that person a break, especially if it's their first time. Now if Tullahoma or Riverdale or any other school had committed mulitple infractions and claimed stupidity, then that's another thing. It's like a speeder, DUI, thief getting caught for the second and third time, there is usually no leaniance.

In the case against Tullahoma, they have a chance to redeem themselves in the district tournament, as does everyone in every district, but in the case of Riverdale, a lot of seniors season ened because of an honest mistake. Is that what the rules were intended for, I sure hope not.I think after reading all the post, that no one wants anyone to get away with rule breaking, but the differences are if one breaks a rule, what punishment shold be handed out.

Anyone who says ruining a person's senior year is the anwser to punishment, is totally wrong. Thank goodness, God forgives each of us everyday, or we'd all be going to the wrong place. For those of you who believe in God, imagine if he were just black and white and handed down the punishment for what you have done wrong. Whew!!! I would sure hate that. Didn't mean to pull religion in the picture, but Tennessee is a pretty religious state and most can relate. Sorry to get off topic.

Someone made an excellent point, if turning yourself in results the same punishment of not turning themselves in and getting caught, why turn yourself in? Yes, I know what some of you are going to say, becaue we're honest people. IN my opinion, it would be what we call a "white lie", like telling someone they are not fat, when they actually are, so not to hurt thier feelings. People are just not going to report it, because the same punishment will be dished out and something as a stupid as a student taking two classess instead of three, I think most people will take thier chances on TSSAA catching them. I would say the probabilty of getting caught would be slim to none.

In society there is always a governing body and most of those governing bodies show sympathy to someone who accidently breaks a rule or a law. I think that's what most people want TSSAA to do. Is listen to each case and come to a concensus of fair punishment. Just like in society, whether a person stole somemthing because of peer pressure, or was speeding, driving while intoxicated, those bodies that govern us usually gives that person a break, especially if it's their first time. Now if Tullahoma or Riverdale or any other school had committed mulitple infractions and claimed stupidity, then that's another thing. It's like a speeder, DUI, thief getting caught for the second and third time, there is usually no leaniance.

In the case against Tullahoma, they have a chance to redeem themselves in the district tournament, as does everyone in every district, but in the case of Riverdale, a lot of seniors season ened because of an honest mistake. Is that what the rules were intended for, I sure hope not.I think after reading all the post, that no one wants anyone to get away with rule breaking, but the differences are if one breaks a rule, what punishment shold be handed out.

Anyone who says ruining a person's senior year is the anwser to punishment, is totally wrong. Thank goodness, God forgives each of us everyday, or we'd all be going to the wrong place. For those of you who believe in God, imagine if he were just black and white and handed down the punishment for what you have done wrong. Whew!!! I would sure hate that. Didn't mean to pull religion in the picture, but Tennessee is a pretty religious state and most can relate. Sorry to get off topic.

Ask some of the Seniors off last years USJ Baseball team how they feel right now after having their "State Championship" stripped from them because a couple of parents took too long to pay their bills. Yes, and it was "self reported" too. I feel for the Tullahoma Seniors affected by this, but at least you have a chance to still capture and keep your title. USJ does not.

Turning yourself in does NOT generally mean the same punishment as not turning yourself if.

If TSSAA discovers something that you did not report, they sometimes will give a more harsh punishment. If you go back and compare punishments over the years, they always punish more for not self-reporting.

Reporting is the right move. You saved yourself a possible worse fate.

Regardless of penalties, if there is ever a debate between whether or not you would report a violation on yourself, time to find a new career coaches. Remember the influence we have on these young men, and for of us some young women as well. What type of role model are we if we know we made a mistake and just let it compound by not correcting it or admitting it. I'd rather take the slap on the wrist, no matter how severe, so I can look those kids in the eyes and know I did the right thing. Now, maybe somewhere in their life when a tough decision needs to be made they do the right thing as well. Just a thought. Also, I understand that most rules violations are reported by a parent of player on your own team who does not like the decisions you make.

Regardless of penalties, if there is ever a debate between whether or not you would report a violation on yourself, time to find a new career coaches. Remember the influence we have on these young men, and for of us some young women as well. What type of role model are we if we know we made a mistake and just let it compound by not correcting it or admitting it. I'd rather take the slap on the wrist, no matter how severe, so I can look those kids in the eyes and know I did the right thing. Now, maybe somewhere in their life when a tough decision needs to be made they do the right thing as well. Just a thought. Also, I understand that most rules violations are reported by a parent of player on your own team who does not like the decisions you make.

Well said.