Sewanee to add men's & women's lax

TheBigRedDog

I have a feeling that Sewanne could become a very competitive DIII team in a short period of time. I am sure that schools like Washington & Lee, Goucher, Greensboro, and Roanoke are not too happy to hear this news.

It will take a generation or more before the Sewanee mens team will stay on the field with W&L. Hampton Sydney, Roanoke, etc. Not a very fertile part of the country to assemble a national class lax team. On a very bright note though, it will help HS lax in the southeast.

It will take a generation or more before the Sewanee mens team will stay on the field with W&L. Hampton Sydney, Roanoke, etc. Not a very fertile part of the country to assemble a national class lax team. On a very bright note though, it will help HS lax in the southeast.

You may have a point when it comes to scheduling but that is what they said about St. Leo Univ. in Tampa. Who will they play? The reality is teams travel south Feb. and Mar. Everybody is traveling to them. New England and New York are saturated with D-III teams dying for games early in the year, but can't get on the field until late March because of weather. Should be interesting...

Take a look at the rosters for those schools. There are plenty of TN, GA, NC, and VA kids contributing. Sewanne alreay has a large number of students from the VA private schools. There is plenty of talent around the southeast to field a very competitive DIII program. DI would be a stretch, but they should have no problem competing with the other southern DIII schools.

I think among several problems to overcome is going to be travel. I don't think any of the other CAC schools have lax. While Sewanee might be available to travel, it's going to be hard to entice DIII schools from VA and other places north to have two travel days when there are so many schools in the ODAC and others within a couple of hours of each other. I'm sure they'll welcome Sewanee as long as it isn't home and home.

This is one of the reasons college wrestling has almost died out in the south after being mortally wounded by Title 9. Small schools want to reduce travel budgets.

Edited by soccerpro1

What are the chances of a school like Rhodes or Centre adding lacrosse? Those would be two teams that Sewanee traditonally plays in other sports.

Another member of the SCAC, Hendrix College, is adding men's lacrosse in the 07-08 school year and Colorado College, which is joining the SCAC next year, already has varsity men's and women's lacrosse programs.