WORLD CUP 2006

manU721

Who do you think should be up top for England? I think that Jermaine Defoe should be given a shot even though he hasn't really been involved in the starting 11 for Tottenham. I think he has so much explosive speed and pace that I think he would fit right in to any line-up. Darren Bent for Charlton would also be a good choice, however his decision making is suspect sometimes. To answer your question Mjuhb, I think Joe Cole will be playing left wing, or maybe Shaun Wright-Phillips. Cole could also be put up top with Owen.

I really think that Holland can make a run this year, they have the attacking tools to demolish some teams.

Up top I think Rooney and Darren Bent would have been the better choice, instead of Owen. I agree Defore has very explosive speed, but Bent is a proven goal scorer this season, beating even Rooney as the top goal scorer of english nationality in the Premier league.

Joe Cole can fill any of those spots that u guys are talking about perfectly. Wright-Phillips really don't seems to have much chance after riding the bench all season at Chelsea. I just don't understand why Chelsea will pay that much for a bench warmer.

Edited by Chizaggi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joe cole out on the right? hes the best option england have had on the LEFT side in years and i cant actually remember seein him play on the right, maybe he has but its pry not good for him if i cant remember him contributing from there....wright-phillips hasn't played consistently since his idiotic move to chelsea, sure he will win medals but i doubt he will continually trade medals for a bench spot so i dont see him playing a major role for england, and the lampard-gerrard combination hasnt exactly been great for england either, even tho they are both great players

joe cole out on the right? hes the best option england have had on the LEFT side in years and i cant actually remember seein him play on the right, maybe he has but its pry not good for him if i cant remember him contributing from there....wright-phillips hasn't played consistently since his idiotic move to chelsea, sure he will win medals but i doubt he will continually trade medals for a bench spot so i dont see him playing a major role for england, and the lampard-gerrard combination hasnt exactly been great for england either, even tho they are both great players

I agree with you about Joe Cole. I also was wondering when he had ever played on the right side. Call me crazy, but I think this should be the line-up for England on kick-off day:

Strikers: Defoe, Owen

Mids: Joe Cole, Carrick, Gerrard, Beckham

Defense: Luke Young, Campbell, Terry, G. Neville

Goalie: Robinson

subs: Lampard, Rio, Ashley Cole(if healthy), Bent, James

I agree with you about Joe Cole. I also was wondering when he had ever played on the right side. Call me crazy, but I think this should be the line-up for England on kick-off day:

Strikers: Defoe, Owen

Mids: Joe Cole, Carrick, Gerrard, Beckham

Defense: Luke Young, Campbell, Terry, G. Neville

Goalie: Robinson

subs: Lampard, Rio, Ashley Cole(if healthy), Bent, James

Strikers: Peter Crouch, Michael Owen

Mids(left to right): Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham

Defense: Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Gary Neville

Keeper: David James

Subs: Michael Carrick, Shawn Right-Phillips/Aaron Lennon, Paul Robinson, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Defoe/Kieron Richardson

ashley cole just made his 1st start in about 7 months so he could either be rusty, fresh or lack match fitness

nobody likes their rivals that why i think their overrated the us owns mexico

i can't wait for arsenal vs barcalona may 17

Thats funny, after that very good performance by el TRI color in the Confererasiones and still overrated? Lol, oh well only time will tell... :thumb:

I think the US is not getting enough love here. I think, on paper, and right now that the only thing we have to go on, they are better than the Italians and Ghana. I would say a tie with the Czechs should advance them. Ghana is what? I believe in the 60's in the world. The Italians are in the teens and the Czechs are 3rd to our 4th. I think 4th is a little high, but I do believe the US is a top ten team.

I think the US is not getting enough love here. I think, on paper, and right now that the only thing we have to go on, they are better than the Italians and Ghana. I would say a tie with the Czechs should advance them. Ghana is what? I believe in the 60's in the world. The Italians are in the teens and the Czechs are 3rd to our 4th. I think 4th is a little high, but I do believe the US is a top ten team.

I agree that USA is not getting much love, but they never do. "Go Home Yankees" ring a bell with anyone. The game with the Czechs is very important. If a team loses they might not advance, if they win you most likely will get first. However, a tie is great for both teams. However, don't forget about Italy that traditionaly plays very well in the World Cup (USA has never beaten them that I know of). Also, as for Ghana be ranked 50 i think, they are from Africa and very few people know much about them, as games are not on TV and the score of a game is often only known by the people that attended. One thing I promise you is that they will be fast and quite capable of running with the athletic American team and most likely outrun Czech and Italy.

I agree with you. Everyone also needs to realize that if we can just win our group and Brazil wins theirs, we can get to the semi-finals relatively easy. Now at the semis we will probably play Holland, and that would be a great game that we could win. I really think this is our year; everyone seems to be healthy and hopefully John O'Brien can get fit in time..if he can and everyone else stays healthy, we can make a serious run. I also think that we have an advantage on other teams because Bruce Arena might be the best International Manager in the world.

I agree with you. Everyone also needs to realize that if we can just win our group and Brazil wins theirs, we can get to the semi-finals relatively easy. Now at the semis we will probably play Holland, and that would be a great game that we could win. I really think this is our year; everyone seems to be healthy and hopefully John O'Brien can get fit in time..if he can and everyone else stays healthy, we can make a serious run. I also think that we have an advantage on other teams because Bruce Arena might be the best International Manager in the world.

Nothing is easy in the World Cup and Holland is a very good team, do not count them out. A lot of what could help America is that many players do play MLS and will be in the middle of their season, which no other real power can say (maybe Brazil or Argentina, not sure when their leagues play). Also wouldn't say all that about Arena. USA will not surprise anyone like they did in 2002 and better play than they have been in the past couple of games. Everyone must contribute and McBride better prove to be the top scorer everyone thinks he is.

I think we need another World Cup or two before we can seriously think about winning it. We can play with every team and beat most, but need to fill our bench with stars first. Teams like Brazil, Argentina, and others can lose a player, replace him, and see almost no drop off. Only until this happens can we win the cup.

Strikers: Peter Crouch, Michael Owen

Mids(left to right): Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham

Defense: Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Gary Neville

Keeper: David James

Subs: Michael Carrick, Shawn Right-Phillips/Aaron Lennon, Paul Robinson, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Defoe/Kieron Richardson

Don't even mention the possibility of David James. He is an absolute incompetent keeper. Just today he made yet another blunder that cost Manchester City dearly. He is a walking disaster. I am old enough to remember when we won the World Cup in 1966 and we had an incredible keeper by the name of Gordon Banks. England don't have similar high quality options for this tournament (nor in 2002 with Seaman who let in an easy goal against Brazil when we had the lead).

On paper Brazil are favorites, but there could be some surprises. I have really been impressed with Portugal over the last 2-4 years.

As we all know soccer is a funny game. Greece were not that great a team in Euro 2004 yet they won it by playing boring soccer and frustrating talented teams by killing the flow of the game. They scored on set pieces. Fortunately they are not part of the World Cup this time, but all it takes is one off day and even Brazil can be humbled by lesser opponents.

Don't even mention the possibility of David James. He is an absolute incompetent keeper. Just today he made yet another blunder that cost Manchester City dearly. He is a walking disaster. I am old enough to remember when we won the World Cup in 1966 and we had an incredible keeper by the name of Gordon Banks. England don't have similar high quality options for this tournament (nor in 2002 with Seaman who let in an easy goal against Brazil when we had the lead).

i have watched the EPL all year and i thought paul robinson of tottenham was the 2nd best goalie next to jens lehman in the premiership