Who makes it to Saturday in AAA Middle Tenn?

rebelj

I will congratulate Brentwood on their 3-0 victory over Antioch on yesterday. Was closely contested until Antioch ran out of gas in the second half. My gripe against Brentwood was the lack of class displayed by fans and players. In these times, I believe it was unwarranted for a parent/supporter of Brentwood to tell some of the Antioch fans to "Go back to Mexico." This was a harsh and racist comment, and the fact that he said to an individual from Bosnia just added to the fire. After this situation was calmed down, the Brentwood soccer decided to do a rounding rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner." While their coaches had nothing to say about them doing this.

The student population does consist of many nationalities, and yes as an educator at Antioch, we learn to deal with lots of different cultures. I was very offended at the actions of the so-called "upper class," to allow such words and comments to even pass their lips shows where our country is. Nowhere. We have not moved forward in any instance, the focus has just shifted from one group of minorities to another. How can we allow our children to perpetuate the cycle that so many of our adults have tried to break. Brentwood played with a lot of class on the field, but off of it, their actions should have not been allowed, and were disgusting.

Nununu, im not sure if you could possibly be anymore hypocritical. In the Antioch game against Ravenwood, basically the only fans from Ravenwood were parents. But this didnt stop the Antioch fans from yelling and cussing at the Ravenwood parents. Eventually a school offical from Antioch was called up, but he didnt do anything to stop the yelling. After a while police had to be called to make sure nothing further happend. As an educator at Antioch i think you should find ways to keep your fans under control before you gripe about Brentwood's fans.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming back, now that I understand some of the situation, I will be leniant. Yet, my view of singing the Star Spangled Banner after playing against players of other nationalities was offensive. If you wanted to sing, why not do it down the road, not right outside of the stadium. I will not characterize all Brentwood fans for the actions of a few, but if you were in my situation, would you have not thought the same? Oh, I forgot, you Brentwood people have never been in my situation.

How dare you put all Brentwood (or any other) people into one category?? Isn't that what you DON'T want for Antioch? By posting that last comment, you are assuming you know about EVERYONE in Brentwood. I don't know you and your situation any more than you know mine.

What I do know is that singing the national anthem had nothing to do with Antioch and everything to do with the tradition started years ago. Maybe it's no different than playing drums and using other noise makers during a game....something done to celebrate! Try keeping a perspective without looking for injustices where there aren't any.

That said, I do not doubt what you posted earlier about ONE parent who made a ridiculous comment about returning to another country. Please do not think that one person speaks for me or anyone else at Brentwood. The BHS coach was made aware of this and was as disappointed and disgusted as anyone else would be.

To Antioch players, the very best of luck on Saturday against Hendersonville and beyond. You have a strong team and should be taken very seriously.

Nununu, im not sure if you could possibly be anymore hypocritical. In the Antioch game against Ravenwood, basically the only fans from Ravenwood were parents. But this didnt stop the Antioch fans from yelling and cussing at the Ravenwood parents. Eventually a school offical from Antioch was called up, but he didnt do anything to stop the yelling. After a while police had to be called to make sure nothing further happend. As an educator at Antioch i think you should find ways to keep your fans under control before you gripe about Brentwood's fans.

The yelling was initially for the team. Ravenwood's fans seemed to have a problem with the drum beating and enthusiasm for their team. I will leave this alone.

Edited by nununu

The yelling was initially for the team. Ravenwood's fans seemed to have a problem with the drum beating and enthusiasm for their team. I will leave this alone.

lol i go to rhs and no one had a problem with the fans exept the parents didnt like the profanity, and the disrespect of the principal. A father of a player went and talked to the principal during the game and the principal walked him in the front of all the fans and said "so you dont like the way we play, this is how antioch is" or something along those lines. It was loud enough for everyone to hear and that erupted the antioch fans into yelling. Thats some class. Antioch has no room to judge any team whether its brentwood or ravenwood.

Coming back, now that I understand some of the situation, I will be leniant. Yet, my view of singing the Star Spangled Banner after playing against players of other nationalities was offensive. If you wanted to sing, why not do it down the road, not right outside of the stadium. I will not characterize all Brentwood fans for the actions of a few, but if you were in my situation, would you have not thought the same? Oh, I forgot, you Brentwood people have never been in my situation.

Well it's nice to see that you're a hypocrite. What was said towards Antioch was offensive, but don't criticize them and turn around and do the same. It makes it worse that you're a teacher because you now get to go instill you're stereotypes into the kids at Antioch. That should help us all get along in the future, so thank you for that. There is nothing wrong with the team carrying on a tradition. It's odd to me that the national anthem of the country you're living in would offend you. It has always been sung in the parking lot and if you don't want to hear it, score more goals than them or go stand by the guy with the drum.

brentwood wasnt even thinking about race when they started singing, it didnt even enter our minds that it would be offensive, its tradition, its the people who think about race too much that made it dishearted. brentwood should be commended for not even seeing race as the issue. if you doubt the singing as a tradition ask ravenwood, theyve heard it before

brentwood wasnt even thinking about race when they started singing, it didnt even enter our minds that it would be offensive, its tradition, its the people who think about race too much that made it dishearted. brentwood should be commended for not even seeing race as the issue. if you doubt the singing as a tradition ask ravenwood, theyve heard it before

completely agreed, some people just use race as an excuse yo make themselves feel better. Brentwood definetely sang the national anthem to signify a big win, not race and i know this from being a brentwood soccer player. Everyone should just deal with the win, move on, and go to the next game.

well if you guys dont want to hear brentwood sing the national anthem anymore after their games then beating them might be a good place to start

Good point, but if Brentwood played a marginal out of district schedule, this would take care of itself. I might be wrong, but I guess we will never know :(