High School Drug Screen

eaglesin08

I completely disagree with you Mikey on just about every point. I'm sorry man but I have kids that participate in athletics and I for one find alot of comfort in knowing that the team mate my kid is going to depend upon to protect him/her is not abusing drugs or alcohol. Accidents happen all the time, but why risk my kids safety behind a blocker thats high or nursing a hang-over. Or my daughter that is going to be thrown into the air and hopefully caught by someone who is fully alert and at the top of her game.

Oh and here's another thing they do at my kid's school that should just break your liberal heart....they do back-ground checks on every athlete for drug or alcohol arrests and don't allow those kids to participate in sports...and they even do this for the Jr. High kids too! If something does happen during the season, then they are drug tested and there is a zero-tolerance policy. God Bless America and the taxes I will gladly pay to do one more thing to try to ensure my kids safety.

Agree.

I think they should start giving background checks for athletes in all schools.

However, as an athlete I must say that I have seen a lot more trouble w/ people in my classes than w/ my teammates, but that's just me.

It is a shame that we should even have to worry about high school athletes abusing drugs. Extra-curricular activities were supposed to keep kids away from drugs. :thumb:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disagree with you Mikey on just about every point. I'm sorry man but I have kids that participate in athletics and I for one find alot of comfort in knowing that the team mate my kid is going to depend upon to protect him/her is not abusing drugs or alcohol. Accidents happen all the time, but why risk my kids safety behind a blocker thats high or nursing a hang-over. Or my daughter that is going to be thrown into the air and hopefully caught by someone who is fully alert and at the top of her game.

Oh and here's another thing they do at my kid's school that should just break your liberal heart....they do back-ground checks on every athlete for drug or alcohol arrests and don't allow those kids to participate in sports...and they even do this for the Jr. High kids too! If something does happen during the season, then they are drug tested and there is a zero-tolerance policy. God Bless America and the taxes I will gladly pay to do one more thing to try to ensure my kids safety.

I can understand you being worried about your kids safety. I am too, that's why my kids are'nt in public schools. Why would your kid be behind a blocker nursing a hang-over? Do they play their games in the morning where you're at? Do you really think the kids are smoking a joint right before kick-off. Come on and think about it, the parties are after the games not before. That does'nt mean it's o.k. to do them, but I would'nt be too worried about a stoned lineman missing a block. The cheerleading is a little more understandable. As far as the back ground checks, I know quite a few kids who were able to turn their lives around because of athletics. If they were not allowed to participate in high school because of something they did in middle school I would hate to think of how they would have turned out. Since you are worried about your kid's safety like I am do you think all the school employees should be tested also. What about the parents that go on trips with the cheerleaders to competitions? Are you going to ask them for a urine sample also? As for me being a liberal, that is just hilarious. The liberal thing is wanting the government to have more control over your families lives like this. As a conservative, I think it is up to the parents to ensure our kids and the kids they are around to be drug free. I know it may be hard to tell another parent that their kid may be on drugs, but is'nt it worth it. If that parent does'nt care, then you need to keep your kid away from that kid. It will be hard, but no one said parenting was easy.

You have to get their consent to drug test, however in order to let them play you need to have them sign the consent. Football is an extra-curricular activity. It is something that the school system does not have to offer. A coach can make it mandatory as part of his policies and rules that students sign a drug testing consent form as well as the parents if the student isn't 18 years of age. If the kid refuses a drug test it is no different than someone refusing an breath analyzer. I just thought this might help. I think some coaches are just afraid to test because they are afraid of what they might find out. Be smart, test those who you feel are abusing drugs, you can't afford to test everyone, only test when you feel there is a problem.

Exactly! This is what the policy was, and I assume still is, at Cookeville when Coach Joslin took over. My son played for him, and no you don't have to sign the consent, but if you don't you won't play football for him. Perfectly fine in my book! The folks from Gallatin can verify this for me, but I believe Gallatin was the first public high school program in TN that started a drug testing program while he was the coach there. Great job Coach J!! :lol:

Any parent that would not want to make sure their child isn't taking a substance that can possibly kill them really needs to re-think their stance! Just my opinion.

eaglesin08, it's not just the TSSAA, it's most state secondary athletic associations. It really has nothing to do with thinking the players are all like Bonds. THANK THE LORD!! It started getting really bad as far back as the late '80's. Not wide spread, but it was already happening. There were 8 or 9 high school football players, just last year, in Michigan that tested positive for steroids. They just started testing at that school in that same season.

I must be ignorant. I guess you do a financial review of all the athletic budgets annually and actually KNOW who pays what. I was just going by your previous posts that the programs are self sufficient. I'm confused....must be my oldtimers disease kicking in. I really don't care who pays for it. The people who are against it are most likely druggies that don't want their little Jimmy's and Johnny's rights violated. But when little Jimmy and Johnny are stealing people's stuff to sell to pay for their drugs then it affects the general public. I wouldn't mind them testing all admin and staff at schools that have contact with children as well. Bottom line is that the staff and school boards get to decide and kids don't have to play...so if they don't like the rules go do something that doesn't have those same rules.

Ole Dad

Do you really think the football teams are going to be paying for the drug tests?

I can understand you being worried about your kids safety. I am too, that's why my kids are'nt in public schools. Why would your kid be behind a blocker nursing a hang-over? Do they play their games in the morning where you're at? Do you really think the kids are smoking a joint right before kick-off. Come on and think about it, the parties are after the games not before. That does'nt mean it's o.k. to do them, but I would'nt be too worried about a stoned lineman missing a block. The cheerleading is a little more understandable. As far as the back ground checks, I know quite a few kids who were able to turn their lives around because of athletics. If they were not allowed to participate in high school because of something they did in middle school I would hate to think of how they would have turned out. Since you are worried about your kid's safety like I am do you think all the school employees should be tested also. What about the parents that go on trips with the cheerleaders to competitions? Are you going to ask them for a urine sample also? As for me being a liberal, that is just hilarious. The liberal thing is wanting the government to have more control over your families lives like this. As a conservative, I think it is up to the parents to ensure our kids and the kids they are around to be drug free. I know it may be hard to tell another parent that their kid may be on drugs, but is'nt it worth it. If that parent does'nt care, then you need to keep your kid away from that kid. It will be hard, but no one said parenting was easy.

What country do you live in that the "liberal" thing is to let the government have more control?....cause it sure isn't the good ole US of A. If you are a conservative then I would hate to meet a bleeding heart liberalist from your part of the state. And on that planet called Utopia where you must live are there not parents that are in complete denial about whether little Susie or Johnny would be doing drugs? If not, I for one would LOVE to raise my kids wherever you live.

Are you kidding about the hang-over thing only being in the morning or the joint-smoking before a game, or are you just that naive? It happens man...even in the schools that drug test. The drug testing just makes sure it doesn't happen as often as it might without the testing policy.

And yes I do think that teachers and coaches should have to be drug tested routinely...we entrust our kid's futures to these adults...so that just goes along with my whole "anything I can do to ensure my kid's safety" thing.

Yes you're right parenting is not easy...so I will take any help I can get when it comes to getting my children through their teen years happy, healthy, ALIVE, and drug free if the good Lord is willing.

Edited by Lions4ever

Amen Brother.

Ole Dad

What country do you live in that the "liberal" thing is to let the government have more control?....cause it sure isn't the good ole US of A. If you are a conservative then I would hate to meet a bleeding heart liberalist from your part of the state. And on that planet called Utopia where you must live are there not parents that are in complete denial about whether little Susie or Johnny would be doing drugs? If not, I for one would LOVE to raise my kids wherever you live.

Are you kidding about the hang-over thing only being in the morning or the joint-smoking before a game, or are you just that naive? It happens man...even in the schools that drug test. The drug testing just makes sure it doesn't happen as often as it might without the testing policy.

And yes I do think that teachers and coaches should have to be drug tested routinely...we entrust our kid's futures to these adults...so that just goes along with my whole "anything I can do to ensure my kid's safety" thing.

Yes you're right parenting is not easy...so I will take any help I can get when it comes to getting my children through their teen years happy, healthy, ALIVE, and drug free if the good Lord is willing.

I must be ignorant. I guess you do a financial review of all the athletic budgets annually and actually KNOW who pays what. I was just going by your previous posts that the programs are self sufficient. I'm confused....must be my oldtimers disease kicking in. I really don't care who pays for it. The people who are against it are most likely druggies that don't want their little Jimmy's and Johnny's rights violated. But when little Jimmy and Johnny are stealing people's stuff to sell to pay for their drugs then it affects the general public. I wouldn't mind them testing all admin and staff at schools that have contact with children as well. Bottom line is that the staff and school boards get to decide and kids don't have to play...so if they don't like the rules go do something that doesn't have those same rules.

Ole Dad

This will be my lost post on this to you. Since we are not even seeing the same thing we'll just have to agree to disagree and stop wasting our time with each other. If drug tests are to be done on athletes, I think they should be done for all students and employees. That was my original argument in all of this. Do not just single out the athletes. However, I do think it is the overall responsibility of parents to make sure their kids are not using drugs. Beleive me if I ever suspect my kids of using drugs they will be tested by me. Good day.

You really do not know the difference between liberalism and conservatism do you. It does'nt matter, I'm don't need to resort to name calling to try to make my point anyway. Just just watch Fox News tonight or listen to any of the talk radio show and they'll be able to help you out there.

I know hangovers could happen at night, but that would mean the person would have to be drinking that day. So for a person to be hung over on a Friday night for a football game they would have to be drinking during school. I said the people smoking joints do not do them before the games. That is why I said you would not have to worry about your kids blockers being stoned.

I'm glad you think the teachers and coaches should be tested as well. A lot of people have dodged me on that question. Good day.

You really do not know the difference between liberalism and conservatism do you. It does'nt matter, I'm don't need to resort to name calling to try to make my point anyway. Just just watch Fox News tonight or listen to any of the talk radio show and they'll be able to help you out there.

I know hangovers could happen at night, but that would mean the person would have to be drinking that day. So for a person to be hung over on a Friday night for a football game they would have to be drinking during school. I said the people smoking joints do not do them before the games. That is why I said you would not have to worry about your kids blockers being stoned.

I'm glad you think the teachers and coaches should be tested as well. A lot of people have dodged me on that question. Good day.

Hmmmm Mikey....I'm speechless.... are you for real?? :) I just don't know how to respond so I think I"ll just let this go :)

...but anyway drug testing is a good thing for athletes because they are at higher risk for serious injury anyway without the added risk of substance abuse. Our small rural school finds a way to afford it so I know some of these others that CHOOSE not to shouldn't use lack of funds as an excuse. We have an obligation to protect our kids...even if its from themselves.

Edited by Lions4ever

OK I haved stayed out of this so far. As one of the few here that has actually given and been tested numerous times I have to ask one question. What 'drugs' are they actually gonna test for?

Pot, Meth. Roids or what? The drugs you actually test for determines the 'cost' of the test involved. Just the simple pot, coke, meth and the like the test kit runs about $15 bought in quantity. Roids is more involved. A pee test CAN be beaten, the hair test cannot and will show ANYTHING taken the MONTH prior.

As to my personal feelings about kids taking them, 'if' it will save even ONE life either off or on the field I am for it. I have seen way too many lives destroyed by drugs. The illegal ones and the roids.

I would test EVERYBODY also connected with the school. Teachers, bus drivers, kids, even janitors. Think about how many employers test now before they hire anybody. They do this for one reason. It saves them money in the long run.

BTW, my kids stayed off drugs and they know that it was possible for them to be tested ANY time I thought they might have used. I have access to test kits and they knew it! Was it right? I don't know and frankly don't care as long as it kept them off drugs.

If you want to know the truth there are a lot of players that get high before games because it can give them an edge. Its not that hard really games dont start until 7ish so you be there by 5 and that gives you 2 hours. Also a good friend of mine has some serious kidney problems last year due to suppliments and if there was testing he wouldnt have been in that situation. As a player and a government worker(City) I would take a paycut just to see us tested. The harder it is to get by with this the better. I know plenty of people that take stuff because its not tested for and they wont get caught. However testing isnt the solution awareness is. That guy that hurt his kidneys didnt know the affects of what he was taking and what it would do to his body. Some one like blue cross could easily afford to go to each of the 364 give or take 20 teams and help the coaches to educate the coaches on the longterm affects of steriods and suppliments. Teach me, Test me, and Give me a level playing field.