World Cup Predictions

ndsoccer

So this doesn't have anything to do with highschool soccer, but what are your predictions about the upcoming World Cup? I think that Brazil will be upset in the Semis, and people will be surprised by the winner. US will make it out of there group, but will have a tough time in the quarters. There is less than two weeks until the tournament, so what're your thoughts?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So hard to predict, but I definately don't think Brazil will repeat. US will obviously have a tough time getting out of the group, but I think they can do it. If they get 2nd in the group, I believe they will have to play Brazil (assuming they win their group) in the first knockout round. No way the US goes on from there. Some of my favorites are Holland, Spain, and Portugal.

So hard to predict, but I definately don't think Brazil will repeat. US will obviously have a tough time getting out of the group, but I think they can do it. If they get 2nd in the group, I believe they will have to play Brazil (assuming they win their group) in the first knockout round. No way the US goes on from there. Some of my favorites are Holland, Spain, and Portugal.

USA will get beat early and hard..too bad i wish they could do better with their #4 rank!!!!

not saying they cant, just saying it would be very, very, very unlikely. Despite improving a lot over the past 10 years or so, the US team is just not at the same level of soccer as the top teams. Believe me, I root for them as much as anybody, they are just not good enough to win it and probably will not go far. In an easier bracket I could see them making the knockout round and winning a game or two, but I just dont see them going far this year.

why does everyone think that they won't win their group? Why can't the US win the world cup?

I will give you 1000/1 odds U.S. will not win their group, heck i would bet my life. Fact is, Italy, Czechs, and Ghana all have expensive, world class players that we do not have. Our highest ratest player is Reyna or Beasley worth $4million or so. Michael Essien(Ghana) was bought by Chelsea for $30 million or so a year or two ago, he is worth more than the US team by himself.

Italy is loaded with many world class players and the Czechs are too. We have some good players but NONE that are world class, none that are even close.

We can hope that the Czechs beat themselves since they named many older players, and a few that are injured, while nedved's form has been lacking recently. This Czech team reminds me of Portugal 02 team. We can always be optimistic but if you know football, you know we are the probably worst in the group going in.

FIFA rankings are nonsense anyway, the only people that care about rankings such as these are americans and we buy into it. Everyone else in the world is laughing at our #4 ranking. If you look at the ranking system it is skewed bigtime, us not getting a top 8 seeding should tell everyone where we are at, while mexico got one.

I will give you 1000/1 odds U.S. will not win their group, heck i would bet my life. Fact is, Italy, Czechs, and Ghana all have expensive, world class players that we do not have. Our highest ratest player is Reyna or Beasley worth $4million or so. Michael Essien(Ghana) was bought by Chelsea for $30 million or so a year or two ago, he is worth more than the US team by himself.

Italy is loaded with many world class players and the Czechs are too. We have some good players but NONE that are world class, none that are even close.

We can hope that the Czechs beat themselves since they named many older players, and a few that are injured, while nedved's form has been lacking recently. This Czech team reminds me of Portugal 02 team. We can always be optimistic but if you know football, you know we are the probably worst in the group going in.

Agreed.

If Italy is so good, then why have they not won the WC in so long? If you dont like the ranking system, then you know that the Czechs are overrated and are incredibly old for a national team. Ghana is terrible because they were coming after Freddy Adu and were promising him a spot on the team..Italy has ALL the talent, but they are just not a well-organized team, and with all the scandal going on over there, I think that they will fall apart.

I think that the US does have some world class talent. Donovan could be a force in the EPL if he wanted to, that league is tailor-made for his style of play. Same with Beasley. This World Cup will also show the world that we have other world class talent in Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey, and Onyewu.

To go far in the WC, I am convinced it is just who is hot at the right time and who is lucky. Turkey and Korea played in the 3rd place game last year, and Germany made it to the final. Nobody predicted this. If our team uses its strengths (speed and one touch passing) we can win our group and hopefully keep advancing..