World Cup Predictions

ndsoccer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Italy is so good, then why have they not won the WC in so long? If you dont like the ranking system, then you know that the Czechs are overrated and are incredibly old for a national team. Ghana is terrible because they were coming after Freddy Adu and were promising him a spot on the team..Italy has ALL the talent, but they are just not a well-organized team, and with all the scandal going on over there, I think that they will fall apart.

I think that the US does have some world class talent. Donovan could be a force in the EPL if he wanted to, that league is tailor-made for his style of play. Same with Beasley. This World Cup will also show the world that we have other world class talent in Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey, and Onyewu.

To go far in the WC, I am convinced it is just who is hot at the right time and who is lucky. Turkey and Korea played in the 3rd place game last year, and Germany made it to the final. Nobody predicted this. If our team uses its strengths (speed and one touch passing) we can win our group and hopefully keep advancing..

I agree with everything you said. Italy has this scandal hanging over their heads. The Czechs are old and Nedved commits some very silly fouls that could get him ejected and kill the team. Ghana is not better than us. Essien is a good player, but who other than that. The US has world-class talent that will be on display. Look for Onyewu, Johnson, Dempsey, and Donovan (if he wants to) to move to Europe and cash in following the Cup. Whoever wins this group is going to the semi finals, and I truly believe it can be us. As for the tourney overall, I don't think Brazil will repeat. England can get to the quarters without Rooney and if he can play at 75 percent in that game look for them to progress onward and win it as his health improves. If not, I like Holland. Portugal could also make some noise. In my opinion, this is as wide open as the Cup has been since I've been old enough to follow it. There are 8-10 teams that have a legitimate shot at it.

ok i root for the americans just as much as anyone else, but i can guarantee you they won't make it out of their group. the czechs and italians are wayyyy too talented. we might be able to squeeze one out against the czechs but we would have to have a great game. fact of the matter is we cant do anything offensively. if you cant score, you cant possibly win. i was at the morocco game and i noticed that when the US got the ball on the opposing teams 18 they would always try to make 1 more unnecessary pass when they could have ripped a shot. they actually scored twice against venezuela but i still noticed they tried to hard to make the extra pass. if we can get it together on offense than we can compete.

having said that, i think that brazil wins it and if not them than england.

Who is this Bradley kid that the US keeps playing? Is he on the roster?

No, he;s not on the Roster. All I know is that he's 18 and that his dad coaches Chivas USA.

For you naysayers, NEVER say that a team can;t win. We've seen in our own state championships that teams win that aren't necessarily supposed to. Keep in mind that Reyna didn;t play in the last two games, and that we're trying different formations and positions. That being said, the game against Morocco was poor and there are no excuses for losing it. I think we've improved in the last two games, and we have a decent shot of making it out of group E!

Naturally, I am hoping this is England's year, but I have serious doubts they can pull it off with or without Rooney. For the last 36 years the whole style of play is to come out strong and build up a lead. They then sit back and try and absorb the pressure which never works against the level of talent you get in the World Cup.

As for the US team, they can make it out of this group. In the last World Cup we had Argentina, France and Nigeria all eliminated in the first round. Probably a lot of reasons contributed to that. When you have a tough group, one simple mistake in a game can be devastating. If the US comes with its A game to these matchups, they will be fine. If they make a stupid defensive mistake like they did against Morocco it will be curtains.

Greece won the last European tournament on simple smart soccer. It was not entertaining but it frutrated the tar out of talented teams like France and Portugal who were taken out of their gameplan. I have a feeling this World Cup could come out with a similar upset team.

It will be tough for Brazil to win, the odds are stacked against them as the competition is in Europe. Only once has a South American team ever won when it is held in Europe and that was well over 50 years ago. Likewise, a European team has never won it all in South America.

Why are so many coaches from other countries saying that if there was one team they DIDN'T have to play, it would be the United States?

I think it's because we're one of those teams that you never know who's going to show up. We could come on the field and act like we've never seen a soccer ball or we could come on the field, outwork the other team, and win some games which we weren't even supposed to be in because we paired skill with work ethic. We're one of those teams where you don't want to be us, and you don't want to play us.

The best the US can hope for is a tie against Italy and the Czechs and possibly a win over Ghana. If that plays out they might have enough points to advance. I think Italy and the Czech Republic will play not to lose against each other, both will beat Ghana and both will expect to win over the USA (they may both bunker in and play for a tie if they beat Ghana).

Here's the USA's best scenario:

USA / Czechs 1-1

Italy / Ghana 3-0

USA / Italy 0-0

Czechs / Ghana 3-1

Czechs / Italy 1-1

USA / Ghana 1-0

Italy - 5 points

Czech Republic - 5 points

USA - 5 points

Ghana - 0

disclaimer: this is just my 2 cents worth